PDA

View Full Version : Can you lock a user into a specific app on the iPad?

sweetss
Sep 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know of a way of preventing users from navigating away from an app that's running on the iPad?

In other words, I'm trying to lock users into a specific app.

I'm trying to develop a filemaker database for the iPad and I don't want users leaving the app and mucking around with other things on the iPad.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

kdarling
Sep 22, 2010, 08:46 PM
You have to tell us more about what your purpose is... that is, why do you want people locked out of other apps, and in what situations, etc.

In the meantime, here's a recent thread on Kiosk mode apps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=931043&highlight=kiosk).

miles01110
Sep 23, 2010, 06:44 AM
Not without jailbreaking or some sort of enterprise iPhone/iPad management system (which requires a server).

Roadking
Sep 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
If you fabricate a case for it that will prevent someone from pressing either of the two buttons, they won't be able to leave the present app.

mrathee
Sep 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
If you fabricate a case for it that will prevent someone from pressing either of the two buttons, they won't be able to leave the present app.

I think that would exceptionally more difficult (and costly) than a software solution.

Plus, when you/operator/administrator/etc needs to access the ipad, you would have to remove the case for the ipad(s) in order to do so.

Roadking
Sep 24, 2010, 09:02 PM
I think that would exceptionally more difficult (and costly) than a software solution.

Plus, when you/operator/administrator/etc needs to access the ipad, you would have to remove the case for the ipad(s) in order to do so.

I don't think so... a little creative work and you could fabricate something simple with an opening on the bottom to keep the iPad charged up.

I am thinking more for a expo demonstration rather than just to hand to your friends.

Software update would most likely need to be done on a jailbroken iPad.