Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
I'm doing some freelance work for a local wedding videography company and I'm having some issues with solving a bit of a problem that stemmed from one of the cameras. The original intent was to shoot 1920x1080@ 23.98fps, but one of the cameras recorded 640x480 @ 29.97fps while the other recorded 1920x1080 @ 23.98.

L&T recognized the card containing the HD footage but would not recognize the one containing only SD. I didn't think uprezzing the SD material was a realistic option due to the quality loss and disparity in aspect ratio so I decided to transcode all the raw QT files off both cards using SD Uncompressed 10-bit in Compressor and cropping the HD media for 1.33 as well as allowing Compressor to bring the frame rate up to 29.97.

I've had no problems editing, but I'm encountering significant quality loss and interlacing artifacts when exporting in Compressor for a DVD; I'm using the Best Quality 90-minute setting and I've tried setting the de-interlace settings to Best and setting the field order to none, but the finished DVD m2v file looks horrible once authored to DVD in Adobe Encore; The HD material that was downscaled is passable, but the SD media is really pixelated and littered with jaggies.

What I'm asking is whether this workflow of converting to Uncompressed 10-bit to get the media shot with different resolutions and frame rate is the most ideal?

I should note that earlier I tried experimenting by converting a few clips between both cameras to DV in Compressor but that was absolute garbage and ProRes, while the preferred codec to transcode using DSLR footage, seems to be dependent on the source's frame rate(although you can slow or speed this down in the Frame Controls, I'm unsure of what effect this has on the audio).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.