PDA

View Full Version : Two Hard drives

pfisher
Sep 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
I have a question regarding having two IDE hard drives installed on a PowerPC G4 tower. I have two Seagate 80 gig drives which I would like to have one as the primary and the other as the secondary drive. What should be the jumpers set to on both drives? Keep in mind, the CD ROM drive is IDE too. Do I set all the drives to Cable Select?

The other problem is this, the one IDE drive I want to add, I believe is formatted for NTFS. The second drive has documents and files on it. I cannot wipe the second drive or install anything over it.

With this problem, after I launched Disk Utility, as it is scanning to find HD's, it returns with an error message.

The goal is to install OS 10.3.9 on this replaced IDE 80 gig drive.

Any suggestions?

drewdle
Sep 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Formatting of the drives will make no difference, as Disk Utility will report both physical drives and the volumes on them. Worst case scenario with the NTFS drive is that it won't report any volumes, but the drive should still show up fine.

These drives are both on the same bus? I set all my drives to CS (Cable Select) and let the firmware map them, OpenFirmware being a lot smarter than your typical PC BIOS. I've never had an issue with that setup, even with mixed devices on the chain (DVD-RW + hard drive, for instance).