PDA

View Full Version : Wiping iPod - HFS+ to FAT32?

johncage
Dec 22, 2004, 07:00 AM
Hey all. I can't figure this one out for the life of me.

I've got a 3g 40gb ipod, which has always been HFS+, and worked just fine like that. Then, the other day, I get this wacky idea that I want it fat32 so I can shuffle files around with windows machines and whatnot. All of the literature says to simply run the ipod updater on the Windows machine and let it reformat the thing, but mine always seems to crash/never recognizes the ipod being in the dock/etc etc.... My Mac, though, is always able to see/restore it. I can even use Disk Utility to format the ipod's drive in fat32, which is then seen by the windows box, but this seems to make the ipod itself not work as a player. At this point it doesn't matter to me which computer the ipod syncs up with, as long as the filesystem is fat32. And, if it wasn't clear already, all of my music is backed up elsewhere so I can wipe it without losing anything. Does anyone know how to get my HFS+ ipod to fat32?

wrldwzrd89
Dec 22, 2004, 07:15 AM
Hey all. I can't figure this one out for the life of me.

I've got a 3g 40gb ipod, which has always been HFS+, and worked just fine like that. Then, the other day, I get this wacky idea that I want it fat32 so I can shuffle files around with windows machines and whatnot. All of the literature says to simply run the ipod updater on the Windows machine and let it reformat the thing, but mine always seems to crash/never recognizes the ipod being in the dock/etc etc.... My Mac, though, is always able to see/restore it. I can even use Disk Utility to format the ipod's drive in fat32, which is then seen by the windows box, but this seems to make the ipod itself not work as a player. At this point it doesn't matter to me which computer the ipod syncs up with, as long as the filesystem is fat32. And, if it wasn't clear already, all of my music is backed up elsewhere so I can wipe it without losing anything. Does anyone know how to get my HFS+ ipod to fat32?
(Re)install the latest iTunes and grab the latest iPod updater (both for Windows), then try again. This makes sure you have the latest iPod driver (needed to communicate with the iPod) and that you're using an iPod updater designed to work with that driver.