PDA

View Full Version : Black Macbook Chipping & more problems

oriolesprospect
Sep 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
I purchased my black Macbook in December of 2007 and bought an apple care protection plan along with it.

My Macbook has the normal problem where the edges near the palm area are chipping. Some of the keys are starting to malfunction and the mouse is going crazy.

I know a lot of people have this problem, so will my apple care do anything for me? Will they give me a new computer? Fix the problem?

Any information I can get on this situation would be great. Thanks.

EricNau
Sep 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
If you bought the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP), then you should have coverage until December 2010.

Yes, Apple will replace the chipping palm rests and any malfunctioning keys (and any other repairs deemed necessary). If you have an Apple Store nearby, the quickest solution is to make an appointment for the Genius Bar.

If you don't have an AppleStore nearby, call 1 (800) APL-CARE. Overseas numbers can be found here: Contacting Apple for Support and Service (http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html)

oriolesprospect
Sep 23, 2010, 04:07 PM
If you bought the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP), then you should have coverage until December 2010.

Yes, Apple will replace the chipping palm rests and any malfunctioning keys (and any other repairs deemed necessary). If you have an Apple Store nearby, the quickest solution is to make an appointment for the Genius Bar.

If you don't have an AppleStore nearby, call 1 (800) APL-CARE. Overseas numbers can be found here: Contacting Apple for Support and Service (http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html)

Thanks for your help and quick response. I'd assume I'd have to give them my computer for a few days. Do you know how long the repair will take?

EricNau
Sep 23, 2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your help and quick response. I'd assume I'd have to give them my computer for a few days. Do you know how long the repair will take?
It varies depending by location. My MacBook had a similar problem (chipping palm rests), and the top keyboard plate was replaced while I waited (about 20 minutes). The keyboard and mouse, however, might warrant longer repairs, in which case it may be a few days.

oriolesprospect
Sep 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
It varies depending by location. My MacBook had a similar problem (chipping palm rests), and the top keyboard plate was replaced while I waited (about 20 minutes). The keyboard and mouse, however, might warrant longer repairs, in which case it may be a few days.

Thanks. And do I need to bring the apple care box or anything?

AlphaDogg
Sep 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

The "top keyboard plate" has the keyboard and trackpad built in. It is actually called the topcase. If the OP's keyboard and trackpad issues lie in the topcase, then it shouldn't take very long. I have had topcase replacements done on my old MacBook (by the Apple retail store, under AppleCare) that took about 30min and some that took a week.

EricNau
Sep 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks. And do I need to bring the apple care box or anything?
Assuming you have your APP properly registered, no. You can call AppleCare (using the numbers I posted earlier) to ensure that this is the case.

The "top keyboard plate" has the keyboard and trackpad built in. It is actually called the topcase. If the OP's keyboard and trackpad issues lie in the topcase, then it shouldn't take very long. I have had topcase replacements done on my old MacBook (by the Apple retail store, under AppleCare) that took about 30min and some that took a week.
I thought that might be the case (:p), but I wasn't sure; mine had also been replaced, but I wasn't sure if that was normal, or not. Thanks for clarifying. :)