PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Powerbook Life Span

big
Dec 22, 2004, 08:58 AM
I purchased a 15" 1GHZ TiPowerbook 18 months ago, this past month I have seen the battery DIE, and the left hinge break....

I am in the middle of acquiring all the parts and pieces I need to repair the hinge, has anyone else seen this kind of deterioration on Powerbooks, are there more surprises for me down the road?

has anyone made a hinge replacement and have any good advice?
thanks!

timnosenzo
Dec 22, 2004, 09:00 AM
Was it new when you bought it? My TiBook is 3 years old and although the battery life is deteriorating it still works (although I don't use battery power that much).

ShermDog
Dec 22, 2004, 10:17 AM
I've had my Tibook for 22 months (bought new), and battery life is down to 50% (it actually sleeps when the battery indicator reads 50% left). Other than that, I've had absolutely no problems.

timnosenzo
Dec 22, 2004, 10:23 AM
I've had my Tibook for 22 months (bought new), and battery life is down to 50% (it actually sleeps when the battery indicator reads 50% left). Other than that, I've had absolutely no problems.
I believe there is a way to re-calibrate that, but I forget how. I know I've read it somewhere here on MR.

mattroberts
Dec 22, 2004, 10:27 AM
reset the PMU is your best bet.

type this into terminal
ioreg -l -w 0 | grep IOBatteryInfo

Check the capacity anything less that 1000 and your battery is in need of replacement.

m

big
Dec 22, 2004, 10:34 AM
oh man... I'd usually use my PB as a desktop, go to another office, work all day, and then back home where it was a laptop again. maybe three times a year I use it for presentations strictly on battery.

But I was getting like 3 mins of charge before it put itself to sleep.... I bought a replacement battery, and did all the calibrations stuff in the directions and have not really tested the battery since, because my hinge is still broken, and I feel I have been doing good "propping it open"

mattroberts, here is the command line info I et, what does it mean:

"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=4783,"Amperage"=0,"Current"=4777,"Voltage"=16584,"Flags"=1090519045})

(Note: this is the new battery from NwereTechnology, which is suppose to have a much better battery than apple, so they say)

daveL
Dec 22, 2004, 10:46 AM
I've had my TiBook, bought new, for 25 months. I've traveled on business extensively and used it as my sole machine during that time. I don't use it much on battery, but I was able to watch a 2 hour DVD on battery last spring. Otherwise, it has worked flawlessly and still looks brand new. I have no intention of replacing it any time soon.

big
Dec 22, 2004, 11:12 AM
After my Powerbook hinge broke, I did some researching around and apparently there has been a lot of posting about PB hinges breaking lately, so I thought I'd ask MacRumors... Looks like the Alum design fixes the Powerbook hinge issues with the one large one in the back.

I'm glad to hear there are not a million messages of angry Ti owner's saying "this or this or that" is broken... After a battery and tearing apart the display, I'm gonna be about through with this powerbook if something else goes wrong, though lately I've been noticing a lot of bad DVD burns, where toast or the finder says something about a medium sense key hardware issue....

replacing the superdrive next? Is there a Lemon clause in my state? I don't know, but I need to find out

emw
Dec 22, 2004, 11:17 AM
replacing the superdrive next? Is there a Lemon clause in my state? I don't know, but I need to find out

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Ti. I have one that's approaching 2.5 years old, and the only problem I have is the common battery one. But I travel extensively, and so am on battery often on planes, and don't usually get to do the optimal drain and fill thing. So I'm on my third battery (luckily, work pays for it).

If there truly is a way to recalibrate the batteries, I'd love to hear it since then I'd have better spares. Right now my latest dies at about 18% full. I ran the command line shown above for Terminal, but the return numbers mean nothing to me.

Although I did recently burn a DVD, and when I reinserted it, the Finder told me it was unrecognizable, so perhaps my SD is going down the tubes as well.

big
Dec 22, 2004, 11:24 AM
Finder told me it was unrecognizable

yeah, this is annoying

Macmaniac
Dec 22, 2004, 11:53 AM
TiBook hinges are very fragile, and most of the TiBooks that we fix which have case damage usually have cracked hinges. The best thing you can do is get a nice case to protect you laptop.
The ond bad thing about cracked hinges is that sometimes this can lead to problems with the display, which can get really expensive out of warranty.

mcarvin
Dec 22, 2004, 12:02 PM
My 667 TiBook is still going extremely strong, and will be three years old come Saturday :)

My right hinge broke over the summer, but AppleCare replaced the whole lid - including the screen. Right now it serves as a media player when hooked into the home theater, portable web server and dev setup, and does the iLife thing when on vaca.

I'll probably be in the market for a replacement in 2006 sometime, and hopefully that will be one with a...nah, ain't gonna say it.

big
Dec 22, 2004, 12:03 PM
nope.... one morning, I woke up, opened the laptop like normal, and heard a "crack"..... it's not like it had been cracked or dropped... its just a design flaw, thanks for your input though

big
Dec 22, 2004, 12:15 PM
what, a...... duel processor G4 system, or G5?

mcarvin
Dec 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
what, a...... duel processor G4 system, or G5?

And risk the chance of starting that thread up again? :rolleyes:

mkrishnan
Dec 22, 2004, 12:25 PM
And risk the chance of starting that thread up again? :rolleyes:

It's either that or start a thread about the rumor that the PB will skip the G5 generation and go straight to G6. :D Oooh, maybe if they call it a G6, Oprah will give a bunch away on her show!!! :D :D :D

jeremy.king
Dec 22, 2004, 12:28 PM
Any rechargeable battery has a finite amount of charge cycles. They die - thats just how it goes. Don't see what all the fuss is about.

parrothead
Dec 22, 2004, 01:29 PM
After my Powerbook hinge broke, I did some researching around and apparently there has been a lot of posting about PB hinges breaking lately, so I thought I'd ask MacRumors... Looks like the Alum design fixes the Powerbook hinge issues with the one large one in the back.

I'm glad to hear there are not a million messages of angry Ti owner's saying "this or this or that" is broken... After a battery and tearing apart the display, I'm gonna be about through with this powerbook if something else goes wrong, though lately I've been noticing a lot of bad DVD burns, where toast or the finder says something about a medium sense key hardware issue....

I bought a Tibook 500 back when they first came out and received some very good advice with it. An apple tech told me to always, always grip the top middle of the screen or use two hands (one on either side) to move or adjust it. Otherwise he said it was a guarantee that the hinges will break. I did that for the entire time I had the computer up until I sold it and never had any problems with the hinges.

Yes, the Albook's hinges are much sturdier and are a huge improvement, the Tibook just needs a little more care.

Hope this helps... :)

dross
Dec 22, 2004, 01:36 PM
I purchased a 15" 1GHZ TiPowerbook 18 months ago, this past month I have seen the battery DIE, and the left hinge break....

I am in the middle of acquiring all the parts and pieces I need to repair the hinge, has anyone else seen this kind of deterioration on Powerbooks, are there more surprises for me down the road?

thanks!

I have a broken hinge too on one of my Powerbooks. Where did you find the parts to repair it?

big
Dec 22, 2004, 02:13 PM
thanks Parrothead! That is some real good advice... when my hinge broke, I popped the latch, grabbed it with one hand in the center of the display, and pulled it open, people, do not do that!

About any battery having a finite amount of charges, this is advice better left to those other guys using PC's. I think most of us here (especially when we are discussing dismantling our own PB's (had you read the first post) know about battery charge, and comments like that could be seen as fairly egocentric or disrespectful. On thing I have learned is that if you do not talk to someone (anyone) as that they may not understand, they will silently hate you because they feel the are being talked down to.

just a small tip in living through life. Now had you been explaining a point that actually would need some in-depth discussion from your part, you should could have said something like "I am going to tell you about XY&Z, but I do not know where your knowledge is on X or Y, so if you feel like I am talking down to you, please forgive me, as I do not have a basis for your understanding of the subject matter"

You could go on to say "If you feel I am talking over your heads and do not understand what is being said/explained, please let me know, and we will get through that.

ie.... "I shall oversimplify, omit, perhaps even lie a little." the beginning of a physicist's speech introducing a relatively new subject. Now considering the angle at which some physicists may introduce new information can sound very crazy, like how Lee and Yang discovered that Nature does have a way to prove left handedness from right handedness through beta decay. Now should you need me to stop here and explain a little further (should this be the topic) I could break down where we were and where we were headed.

The entire point, is that introducing the fact that rechargeable batteries only hold a finite amount of charges, to a group of well educated persons, is well, talking down to us, specifically me. If you wish to continue to introduce something meaningful to the thread, by all means, please do, but not derogatory in nature please.

I realize by posting this, this kills this thread, so did the G5 and G6 discussion, so I might as well have gone out in a blaze..........

big
Dec 22, 2004, 02:15 PM
I have a broken hinge too on one of my Powerbooks. Where did you find the parts to repair it?

there is a guy on Ebay selling a pair of them BRAND NEW for like $99, this is the cheapest you can get them. You will want to replace both if you are going through the surgery...

mattroberts
Dec 22, 2004, 02:26 PM
mattroberts, here is the command line info I et, what does it mean:
"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=4783,"Amperage"=0,"Current"=4777,"Voltage"=16584,"Flags"=1090519045})

The Capacity reading is All I'm interested in 4783 is great. its a sign that the battery is still really good. you will notice over time that number decreases. The Current number (4777) shows how charged (full) the battery is now. The rest is generally not important.

My advice is reset the PMU- See below-
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

cheers
m

jalagl
Dec 22, 2004, 02:31 PM
I have had my PB for almost 20 months, and it is still like new (except for some scratches on the top, made by airport security...)

BTW, I got an add selling powerbook hinges at the bottom of this page...

JordanNZ
Dec 22, 2004, 02:34 PM
I've had my 1GHZ tibook for just over a year and a half now.. And i've had one power adapter die, my backlight is failing, and my superdrive is basicly dead (spindle servo error happens a lot).

Not happy.

California
Dec 22, 2004, 03:17 PM
I love my tibook 400 and have had it more than three years. Upgraded to 40gig 5400rpm travelstar hd, 1gig of ram, and I accidently knocked it on the side and cracked the case which is starting to affect the left hinge.

Daystar is goign to upgrade my cpu to 550mhz and fix the case and put in an airport card for me and I plan on keeping the Tibook for a long time. I LOVE IT. Best thing is no keyboard troubles ala the Aluminum PBs.

mattroberts
Dec 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
Best thing is no keyboard troubles ala the Aluminum PBs.

What's wrong with the Kb? - I've had no problems

m

ifjake
Dec 22, 2004, 04:27 PM
I've had my 1GHZ tibook for just over a year and a half now.. And i've had one power adapter die, my backlight is failing, and my superdrive is basicly dead (spindle servo error happens a lot).

Not happy.

yeah i got mine right about the same time you did, which i believe was right before the Aluminum update. my powerbook had to be sent in 3 times for quite a variety of different problems. major problems (appleCare is a good idea). i'm not sure maybe they just got really lax in manufacturing the old ones when they were preparing to make the switch to the new ones. i had logicboard problems similar to the iBooks, those white blotches in the display like the early aluminums. works fine now. it'll probably be two more years till i get a new laptop. they won't be G4s anymore then. here's hoping, anyway.

crazzyeddie
Dec 22, 2004, 05:20 PM
I've had my TiBook for about 18 months also and have none of the problems mentioned here, except for the stock battery puts the computer to sleep at around 45% charge remaining. Just be careful with your computer and half the "problems" will not occur. Cases are the best thing you can do for your computer because they reduce the impacts that a laptop takes while in transit.

Bear
Dec 22, 2004, 05:49 PM
The hinges on my 2.5 year old TiBook are just fine. The paint job on the other hand needs much touchup.

The battery is on its last electrons. Maybe 10 minutes at a 100% charge.

mcarvin
Dec 22, 2004, 05:54 PM
It's either that or start a thread about the rumor that the PB will skip the G5 generation and go straight to G6. :D Oooh, maybe if they call it a G6, Oprah will give a bunch away on her show!!! :D :D :D

Rock on. Oprah can have some quad-Power6 Beryllium-cased PowerBooks with liquid nitrogen cooling and neural net interface as long as she doesn't hook Dr. Phil up.

Lorenzott
Jan 27, 2005, 10:42 AM
I'd like to buy a used 867G4Ti and I'd like to test the battery first...

What does it mean "type this into terminal" see below and how do I do it?

Thanks. Lorenzott

reset the PMU is your best bet.

type this into terminal
ioreg -l -w 0 | grep IOBatteryInfo

Check the capacity anything less that 1000 and your battery is in need of replacement.

m
:)

rhpenguin
Jan 27, 2005, 11:32 AM
while its not a powerbook, ive had my iBook for ~1yr6moz and have had all these things die.

Hard drive > died in the first 3 days of me owning it.
CD-Rom > tray broke and wouldnt close for me.
Trackpad > just stopped working inside of 6moz.
Logicboard x2 > Both times with the same logicboard faults. this isnt going to happen on a powerbook, but still its worthy of note. About two months between replacements.

and to top it off, a battery that is now acting wonky and the system sometimes wont detect it as being there. Dont know if i wanna buy another Apple notebook.

Bibulous
Jan 27, 2005, 11:45 AM
Just had the logic board on my nearly 3 year old 667 replaced under applecare (see photo). Beside this issue, it has performed flawlessly and I'm thinking about adding a superdrive and keeping it for another year. If only it had dvi out, then I would buy a new 23" display and use it as a desktop.

big
Jan 27, 2005, 01:09 PM
welp, my 1 GHZ TiBook is nearly dead... aside from having to use an external monitor, it works, but I have replaced the inverter board & cable, and still am getting the infamous black screen.... funny, upon wake from sleep, the screen will flash "on" for a few seconds, then go black again.. i guess now its time to replace the whole damn Logic board.<br><br>my wife's iBook (2 years old) never had a problem, never crashes or bombs an app, never is shut down or rebooted, aside from misc security updates. I guess its a drop in the bucket with apple's laptops....

rhpenguin
Jan 27, 2005, 01:23 PM
I guess its a drop in the bucket with apple's laptops....

You've got that right my friend... Some have luck, others machine fail spectacularly... And there seems to be no happy medium. It either works and works well, or EVERYTHING goes. Or so is my experience.

wordmunger
Jan 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
My Ti400--ordered immediately following the 2001 keynote--is still going strong. I gave it to my brother, who uses it every day. I had to replace the battery once, as well as the power supply, and the airport card died, but otherwise it works like a charm. Okay, so that doesn't sound so great, but it *is* over 4 years old!

big
Jan 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
so what do I do? I can not go out and buy a new laptop (though I hear some new ones may be coming) spend $700 on a new logic board (the lapop as is is worth only $700) suggestions? I guess I keep working on this other monitor, and <gasp> save money!

CalfCanuck
Jan 27, 2005, 03:02 PM
My Ti PB 400 from 3/2001 is still on it's original battery, and haven't had any problem with my hinges. My capacity is still 1500.

It was on probably 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for almost the first 3 years - my strategy on laptops is to always unplug them whenever they are off/not being used. (And I unplug the power blocks from their power cables as well). Used it heavily in both 110 and 220 volt countries.

As for my screen, I do a lot of traveling (logged over 80,000 miles in the air for at least 2 of those years). So while things take a beating, I travel with my laptops (travel with one Mac and another PC, plus external devices) in a small sleeve, which in turn is put into a large (and HEAVY) laptop case.

Being a photographer, I understand the difference between my equipment taking a beating from wear and tear and me giving it a beating through carelessness. I've seen kids fall down a flight of stairs and come out laughing, but that doesn't mean one's supposed to toss the kids down for the heck of it!

CalfCanuck
Jan 27, 2005, 03:12 PM
You've got that right my friend... Some have luck, others machine fail spectacularly... And there seems to be no happy medium. It either works and works well, or EVERYTHING goes. Or so is my experience.

Yeah, I hear you. For a few years in the late 90's I had a hard time recommending Apple to people. My B&W G3 NEVER worked - and replaced all sorts of stuff (including motherboard). It's sitting under my desk as we speak - I wanted to use it as a dedicated slide scanner, but I haven't been able to get it to restart for the last 6 months!

I did read an interesting article about 6 years ago in a trade journal talking about the percentage of "lemon computers" in the entire computer industry (which they defined as 3 or more MAJOR component failures!!!). I couldn't believe the number, as it was well into double digits. (I seem to remember about 15%).

What it goes to show is how AWFUL many people's computer experiences are. Anyone on these boards is in the top 5% of user based on skill/knowledge, and look at all the crap we have to put up with!

So if we leave Apple, where does one go for a problem free experience?

Back to the abacus!

big
Jan 27, 2005, 03:23 PM
See, my B&W G3 was a powerhouse.. never should have sold it. It took upgraded cards, 4 internal HD's everything.... dropped, kicked etc.

This Powerbook I have: here's the laundry list thus far:

Power Brick, got funky connectore $19
Power Brick, funky cable, bought a different brand power supply
new PowerBook Battey (not Apple brand)
Left Hinge Broke ($120)
Software crashes left and right (misc time spent reinstalling or rebooting)
Inverter board/cable/backlight/backlight supply cable ($180)
Logic Board (haven't replaced this yet) but it needs it....

typing on a secondary monitor as of from now on I guess

CalfCanuck
Jan 27, 2005, 03:45 PM
Software crashes left and right (misc time spent reinstalling or rebooting)s

Have you ever checked for bad RAM? I had a similar experience with the iBook G4 I bought to replace my PB Ti. (had a new PB on order before a long trip in Nov 03, but that was during the screw up with white spots.)

Anyway, even though the RAM passed the CD's Apple Hardware tests, when I finally pulled it the daily crashing stopped. Swapped it out under warranty, and haven't crashed since.

big
Jan 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah... took out Ram, booted, same deal, it has to be the Logic Board, unless I missed another cable somewhere...

of note: I called Apple and complained to their tech Dept, then sat on hold for even longer (speaker phones rock!) and spoke with a customer Rep. I basically filed an official complaint to Apple, and ask that they at least address this issue in some way shape or form.

There is nothing in their knowledge base on this problem, nor on their web site (note iBook Logic board issues are prominatly displayed) in any instance, I did all I can do, now if more people would like to call as well... I suggest using Apple Customer Relations (800) 767-2775

CalfCanuck
Jan 27, 2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah... took out Ram, booted, same deal, it has to be the Logic Board, unless I missed another cable somewhere...
Ouch. I feel for you... reminds me of my B&W.

I'd waste hours trying to get it running smoothly, then get frustrated, push it aside and just use another Mac. After a month, I'd forget the hassles and say "I spent so much on that POS and I'm a power Mac user, of course I can get it up and running ..." Then the cycle would start all over again. LOL

Well, these lemons always slip through - though they are a bit sour for the person that gets them.

That's the irony. You loved your B&W and are cursed with an "evil" PB, but to me it was the exact opposite!

parrothead
Jan 27, 2005, 07:14 PM

thanks!

The hinges are a huge issue with the Tibook. Make sure that once you get it fixed you only close/open/adjust screen by holding it with two hands on the sides or one hand in the middle. The torque causing my grabbing the screen on only one side is very damaging to the hinges.

big
Jan 27, 2005, 08:20 PM
yeah.... I've heard of the use both hands to open the lid thingy. But today I opened the lid with ONE HAND.. as I was still frustrated that the logic board (I assume) is on its way out the door.... say, now that it does not allow the back light to ligt up, when does it totally give up? Has ANYONE had any experience with this?

Inspector Lee
Jan 27, 2005, 09:00 PM

Not happy.

26 month old TiBook 1GHz. Power adaptor died last summer - got real hot and reeked of acid. Some battery woes. I'll be anywhere between 20-40% and it will sleep and when plugging it in, will read 0% and charging. Have tried re-calibrating with some success. Current capacity is around 2600. No hinge problems but from the posts above, I may need to tread more lightly. I've gotten real nonchalant about it and borderline cocky. I'll one-hand-it from the bedroom to the kitchen with a cat underfoot, etc.

big
Jan 28, 2005, 10:49 AM
Last night while working and playing some tunes... Imy Powerbook started making really wierd and loud audible noises from the speakers... I assume this Logic board is about to give it. Anyone else heard this phenomenon?

BadgerMac
Feb 1, 2005, 07:42 AM
I actually bought my 1Ghz TiBook on 1/1/03. It's been goign strong, although the battery isn't what it used to be, but that is to be expected. I did have it back to Applecare because of a warp in the case that wouldn't allow it to latch and lock shut, and they replaced teh whole case in a day! I love mine, I know it may be getting "long in the tooth" but I want it to hopefully hold out another 2 years.

mox358
Feb 1, 2005, 11:15 AM
I have an original TiBook 400mhz ordered a few days after the announcement of them back in the day. Everything on this beauty still works perfectly, the battery probably gets 2 hours as opposed to the original 4 or so... but enough for me.

My friend even spilled a can of coke in the keyboard, and besides some crunchy keys (which I'm going to have to replace the keyboard soon) the 'book still works just as well as when I bought it. Guess I'm lucky. My next portable will definitely be a PB G5... thats for sure! My TiBook has (and still is) served me well.

big
Feb 1, 2005, 01:03 PM
so after all the hub-bub... and fuss and dismantling my Ti, I have sold it for $700, went out and bought a brand new Aluminum (for $1500) got a good deal, as the Mac store was getting rid of their stock, for the now poerbooks.

Now I couldn't be happier! except I need more Ram, and my Superdrive back (man do I miss burning DVD's!)

Skilz34
Feb 1, 2005, 01:43 PM
I bought my TI book 18 months ago as well and have had the following parts replaced:

on 8/16/04 - 630-4425 (P88 MLB ASSY 1GHZ)

my screen wouldn't come on so I'm guessing this is the logic board?

on 1/25/05:
675-0018 - PBG4, ECN, CASCADING
646-0142 - DSPL, LCD, 15.2, AU, PBG4
810-1703 - BZL, ALUM, PNT
603-2101 - FAN ASSY, PWR SPLY, PBG4 (SUNON)
603-1965 - MAIN FAN ASSY, PBG4 (CHENG HOME)

these were do to a broken left hinge and a high pitched, squealing noise coming from the top right side (out of the vent). The actually gave me a Aluminum screen it seems which of course fixed the hinge problem, but the fan replacement didn't help in my high-pitched, squealing noise b/c it's still doing it and I'm waiting on my 3rd applecare box. :)