PDA

View Full Version : iMac g3 left speaker doesn't work :(

raysfan81
Sep 23, 2010, 04:25 PM
Ok so my iMac g3 has a left speaker that doesn't work. The right one works fine and when I turn the volume up the left speaker kind of buzzes. Is it even worth replacing the internal speaker? (IIRC it looks pretty difficult)

lewis82
Sep 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
You can get good speaker sets for cheap from Logitech. They would have more bass response, and be much easier to set up than to replace the internal one (provided you find a replacement one).

I'm using the Logitech X-240 with my MBP, you can get it for 25$ online and I guarantee you that the sound quality is great.

raysfan81
Sep 23, 2010, 08:01 PM
You can get good speaker sets for cheap from Logitech. They would have more bass response, and be much easier to set up than to replace the internal one (provided you find a replacement one).

I'm using the Logitech X-240 with my MBP, you can get it for 25$ online and I guarantee you that the sound quality is great.

I hear good things about those speakers. Too bad they don't really match my white iMac but I'm strongly considering them.

disconap
Sep 23, 2010, 08:35 PM
Seconded on the externals. But one note--if it's just buzzing it could be a loose or splayed wire. The G3 imac is pretty easy to open up, so if you're willing I'd say open it and take a look at the connections and make sure they're all kosher...

MacHamster68
Sep 24, 2010, 03:07 AM
has the same problem on one i done up for a mate , just buy a speaker for it , they cost next to no money at all and are originals

CubeHacker
Sep 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
Someone ran the volume too loud and the speaker blew. Had the same thing happen to me.

Replacements off ebay are fairly cheap. But if you are looking for better sound, or don't want to bother to take the iMac apart (its not difficult), then just go for a nice pair of external speakers.

raysfan81
Sep 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
Someone ran the volume too loud and the speaker blew. Had the same thing happen to me.

Replacements off ebay are fairly cheap. But if you are looking for better sound, or don't want to bother to take the iMac apart (its not difficult), then just go for a nice pair of external speakers.

I got someone to send me one for free. :) I'll go about replacing it when I get a chance.