Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krishna21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I'm gonna get an iPad :L

But I don't know a bit what these things called Data Plans are, because I wanna buy a 3G one.

What does it mean by 250MB or 2GB?

Like, how does it get used up?
Like wat exactly uses it?
Is it used when u download apps?

But doesn't that go toward the 16GB on the iPad?

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Wifi only models access the internet via local wireless networks. Presumably you are already paying for an internet connection at home.

3G models can use wifi networks and cellular 3G networks. In order to access a 3G network, you have to purchase a data plan through AT@T. You can purchase 250mb of bandwidth, or you can purchase 2gb of bandwidth. You can always access wifi, but if you have used all of your available cellular bandwidth, you will no longer be able to access the internet, say, on a bus or in a park where there is no wifi network available.

This doesn't have anything to do with the storage space on the iPad. However if you download apps on the 3G network it will count against your total bandwidth.

Make sense?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Anytime data is used through AT&T 3G network counts towards your 250mb/2GB plan (downloading apps, using the internet), Using the iPad on WiFi does not count against your plan.

Krishna21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Anytime data is used through AT&T 3G network counts towards your 250mb/2GB plan (downloading apps, using the internet), Using the iPad on WiFi does not count against your plan.

I see, so like if I use the internet I like lose megabytes per minute/second/hour??

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I see, so like if I use the internet I like lose megabytes per minute/second/hour??
depends on how many megabytes you use. Like, if you download a ton of huge picture files you'll use up your bandwidth fast. If you just navigate to text based webpages and rarely use the internet it'll use your allotted megabytes much slower.

Krishna21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
depends on how many megabytes you use. Like, if you download a ton of huge picture files you'll use up your bandwidth fast. If you just navigate to text based webpages and rarely use the internet it'll use your allotted megabytes much slower.

k, so if I got WiFi at my house is there a way I can disable 3G to use my WiFi?

oh, suppose I don't use my alloted 250MB the whole month, not even a bit, does it rollover into the next month or do I have to pay whether I use it or not?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
You don't need to disable 3G. If you're connected to a known wifi network, the iPad will default to that connection.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
k, so if I got WiFi at my house is there a way I can disable 3G to use my WiFi?
if you enable the wifi setting on your iPad, whenever you're in range of a known wifi router e.g. at your house, the iPad will use WiFi instead of 3G for data. no need to disable the 3G at home, it happens automatically if you have wifi turned on. When you leave your house it will automatically switch to 3G

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
I'm gonna get an iPad :L

But I don't know a bit what these things called Data Plans are, because I wanna buy a 3G one.

What does it mean by 250MB or 2GB?

Like, how does it get used up?
Like wat exactly uses it?
Is it used when u download apps?

But doesn't that go toward the 16GB on the iPad?

16gb only means you are buying an iPad with 16gb of hard drive storage.

250 mb is not enough, nor is the 2 gb if you ask me.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

He said it (she said it?).

Anyways, 16, 32, 64 GB are your hard drives or technically flash memory {right?}. The 250 or 2GB/month is your data allowance. Others explained it well so I wont' go in details on that but if you are usually in a wifi zone (say work or home or school) and not out much, then you honestly don't need a 3G iPad. I got wifi only as I am always in a wifi zone --> excluding the commute but I doubt I will ever use the internet while driving [I don't need the GPS as it came built in my car, for those who may suggest that].

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

2GB is fine...if your not streaming video all day. I bet if you hunt for wifi a little more instead having the "pft...I'll use my 3G" mindset like say at school, star bucks, the mall, home, etc. My problem is 2Gigs is worth maybe $20 not 5 dollars less than unlimited.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Simply put, 250 MB data is for those of you who want to check email and surf web, but will not stream video and music. 250MB deal is really crap. And you will go over.

2GB data is okay, but it is also really rip off as well. I recommend finding the service that gives you unlimited data.

2GB is fine...if your not streaming video all day. I bet if you hunt for wifi a little more instead having the "pft...I'll use my 3G" mindset like say at school, star bucks, the mall, home, etc. My problem is 2Gigs is worth maybe $20 not 5 dollars less than unlimited.

2GB might be okay, but I streamed youtube video for 30-40 mintues, and boom! That was about 300 MB data gone. Starbucks wi-fi is crap because too many users make connections and it gets slow. Same thing goes for mall. School and Home are not problems for me.

sempire

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
You should get unlimited data. The Ipad is so awesome you will probably use all your unlimited data anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.