Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
The house has finally acquired enough wireless N devices to warrant a new router. We went with a cisco linksys E3000.

Is there any way to tell from the iPad if it is on the N or the G? The 2.4 or 5?

I can already tell a huge difference in signal strength.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
If your router is simultaneous then you have the choices. 2.4 and 5ghz. You should be able to choose. Check your router configurations

I bought the netgear 3400 @ staples $79 -$20 coupon and this is the cheapest "simultaneous" router in the market. Works perfectly on my idevices.

iPhone 4 is running @ 2.4ghz N and iPad @ 5ghz N

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I will dig into the router GUI tomorrow and see what I can find.

I can tell the new router has MUCH larger range and it seems like the iPad browsing is faster in general. AppStore and itunes store load much faster. All the same can be said for the iPhone 4.

I wouldn't think the speed of the old router would be a bottleneck to the iPad, I figured it was faster than the processor could chew, but I am pleasantly wrong.

Maybe the old router was crap.

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
The E3000 allows you to name each frequency differently so do that and then you will have two choices when selecting the WiFi on the iPad. I named mine "Home 2.4" and "Home 5".

Wildog27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
The only negative I've found with the E3000 is that you can't connect a Mac-formatted hard drive to it. The HD has to be FAT32 formatted to be able to read through the router. I hope there's a firmware for that coming soon.

Otherwise, it's been a superb router for the 2 months I've had it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The only negative I've found with the E3000 is that you can't connect a Mac-formatted hard drive to it. ....
There is another negative. Unlike older Linksys routers that I own, the E3000 is not plug & play--at least not the wireless. The Cisco Linksys E3000 must be setup and activated before it can be used wirelessly.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Might be slightly off topic but it sounds like I've got the right experts in this thread to help me...

I have a Time Capsule in the office upstairs and two Airport Expresses (one up, one down) for streaming music to stereos around the house. I know the Airport Express can be used to extend the signal of the Time Capsule but am I right that you have to choose one or the other? It can't both be used for airtunes and extended range at the same time? Or am I reading it wrong.

I ask because the speed on my iPad slows when at the complete opposite end of the house and downstairs but there is one of the Airport Expresses nearby so it would be nice if it was extending the range of the Time Capsule...also a TiVo in that same room with a poor signal strength that could use the signal extension.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The E3000 allows you to name each frequency differently so do that and then you will have two choices when selecting the WiFi on the iPad. I named mine "Home 2.4" and "Home 5".

And also, if the two frequencies have the same ssid name then the iPad will automatically try to connect with the 5ghz radio first. The info above is good advice if you want to force your iPad (or any other device) to connect to a specific frequency. In my case I force all "N" devices to the 5ghz band and everything else shares the 2.4ghz band so that they don't slow down the "N" stuff. Cheers!

James

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Might be slightly off topic but it sounds like I've got the right experts in this thread to help me...

I have a Time Capsule in the office upstairs and two Airport Expresses (one up, one down) for streaming music to stereos around the house. I know the Airport Express can be used to extend the signal of the Time Capsule but am I right that you have to choose one or the other? It can't both be used for airtunes and extended range at the same time? Or am I reading it wrong.

I ask because the speed on my iPad slows when at the complete opposite end of the house and downstairs but there is one of the Airport Expresses nearby so it would be nice if it was extending the range of the Time Capsule...also a TiVo in that same room with a poor signal strength that could use the signal extension.

It can only be one or the other. You can't use it to extend a signal and serve up airtunes. My suggestion would be to get a better range router and leave the time capsule as network attached storage.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I use a D-Link Xtreme gigabit N router, it's awesome.

Does it support frequency naming like above mentioned?

If you have the DIR-655, it doesn't support dual bands. I believe it only operates on the 2.4GHz band. Some wireless routers will only operate on 2.4 or 5 so be careful if you decide to upgrade and are looking for simultaneous operation. E3000 is good for both bands at the same time.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I do have the DIR-655 so I guess I am out of luck in that sense huh

It's not that big of a deal. DIR-655 has amazing range and throughput despite being a several year old router. That's why it still gets rave reviews. The only downside is that it's using draft N tech rather than ratified spec N but I'm not sure it really matters. Range is king. Or throughput for some. If you aren't connecting a bunch of devices, you should be more than fine.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
WRT610n

I got the WRT610n that is basically the older brother of the E3000 now (same router, just a cost reduction redesign). It's pretty great, I set up both Band to N (since the iP4 only support N over 2.4), but 5Ghz is Smoother on my iPad and MBP.

You can also setup the 2.5Ghz band top G (that's how i got it before i got te iP4), and the 5Ghz to N if all your device support N over 5Ghz.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
You can always access the router page and settings to see what device is using what and get additional details. Not sure what settings will be used for yours as I only am aware of D-Link routers [I use the DIR-655].

gschlact

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
stream from E3000 to iPad help

I just bought the CIsco Linksys E3000 Router and attached my Samsung 1T hard drive onto it. This router has a upnp media server.

Can someone please help me figure out how my iPad can stream from the router? I have tried some Apps, all can see the server, some can read some of the directories (rootmusic, rootvideos, rootphotos). Some of the Apps can find music, BUT none can find any photos which are defininetely part of parallel folders.

What do you recommend? I really prefer to not use iTunes on a PC, the whole idea was have the NAS Server stream ;-).

I have Mixed mode on the 2.4Ghz and N mode on 5Ghz. THe ipad can attach to either (since the 5ghz signal is not nearly as strong).

Thanks in advance.
Guy
gschlact

gschlact

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
please explain

would you mind explaining:

"He can JBed and install XBMC, you can stream pretty much all formats "

If it is a PC side server -> ipad, that is what I am trying to avoid.
i am trying to use my Cisco E3000 media server.

thanks.
guy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.