PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 question!

leekohler
Dec 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
I have an 1 gigahertz iBook G4 14 in. that I got new really cheap at Microcenter in June. It says on the box and in the manual that it only recognizes up to 640 MB of RAM. I'm wondering-is there a way to get it to recognize a 1 GB chip? Or do I just need to sell it and get a new one? I do love the little thing-it's saved my butt on more than one occasion.

varmit
Dec 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
I have an 1 gigahertz iBook G4 14 in. that I got new really cheap at Microcenter in June. It says on the box and in the manual that it only recognizes up to 640 MB of RAM. I'm wondering-is there a way to get it to recognize a 1 GB chip? Or do I just need to sell it and get a new one? I do love the little thing-it's saved my butt on more than one occasion.

the 640 is there because the iBook has 128 on the main board, and that 512 could be added at the time the iBook was MADE. Some places NOW make 1 Gig sticks for the iBooks. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BiBook&mfr=Apple&cat=RAM&model=iBook+%28G4+1GHz%29&submit=G o

leekohler
Dec 22, 2004, 12:27 PM
Oh-so it will recognize a gig chip then?