Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I just got myself a new iMac 27" i5. And I want to use Windows 7 (64-bit Ultimate Edition) alongside OSX Snow Leopard. The best way to do is I think with BootCamp, as I will be using it for a few hours straight. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Btw is 64-bit version of Windows 7 better suited than the 32-bit?

I want to transfer all my existing files from my laptop to my iMac, including iTunes account and data.What is the best way to do so?

And lastly, is it posible to make a separate partition with all documents and movies/music etc. to be usable it both operating systems? If so, please tell me how...

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I just got myself a new iMac 27" i5. And I want to use Windows 7 (64-bit Ultimate Edition) alongside OSX Snow Leopard. The best way to do is I think with BootCamp, as I will be using it for a few hours straight. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Btw is 64-bit version of Windows 7 better suited than the 32-bit?

I want to transfer all my existing files from my laptop to my iMac, including iTunes account and data.What is the best way to do so?

And lastly, is it posible to make a separate partition with all documents and movies/music etc. to be usable it both operating systems? If so, please tell me how...

Question 1: Correct. I don't think the 64 bit vs. 32 bit is much of an issue.
Q2: I don't know
Q3: Yes you need to make a FAT 32 partition (Mac OS X can't write NTFS and Windows cant' do anything with a Mac formatting.)

Hope this helps;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Question 1: Correct. I don't think the 64 bit vs. 32 bit is much of an issue.
Q2: I don't know
Q3: Yes you need to make a FAT 32 partition (Mac OS X can't write NTFS and Windows cant' do anything with a Mac formatting.)

Q1. 64 bit should be the default answer on a 27" iMac.
Q2. What ind of laptop is it, and how much data are we talking about to transfer?
Q3. Apparently the 27" iMacs support exFAT (a.k.a. FAT64), and of course Boot Camp 3.x provides read only HFS+ drivers for Windows so in either case you can read files from the other partition.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
@Bernard_SG: Thanks a lot for your quick reply...
So a FAT32 partition it is then... so then I have 3 partitions:
1) OSX + programs
2) Windows 7 + programs (FAT32 or NTFS?)
3) Media: Music, Movies, Documents etc (FAT 32)
My iMac comes with 1TB... how should I divide it?

btw I have an external hard drive with a lof of data, but it's all in NTFS...
does that means it's useless and I can't transfer data to my iMac? That would be a big bummer... Been busy all day transferring files to my ext. HD :(

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
btw I have an external hard drive with a lof of data, but it's all in NTFS...
does that means it's useless and I can't transfer data to my iMac? That would be a big bummer... Been busy all day transferring files to my ext. HD :(

The Mac will be able to read your NTFS drive just fine. It just can't write to it without help. There are third party drivers you can use/buy to enable write support.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
@balamw:
My laptop is an Acer Aspire 6920G with Windows 7 (32-bit)...
and I'm talking about a lot of data...
- iTunes folder: 60GB
- pictures: 10-15GB
- movies: 500-1000GB (most of them are on my external hard drive... which is NTFS... can I watch them in OSX? or should I start up Windows 7 first?)
btw is it possible to open Windows 7 and then transfer these movies to the FAT32 partition... so I can open/edit files on OSX?
and is FAT64 also usable with Windows 7?

and like I said... I really want to be able to edit files on my 'media' partition... otherwise it's not really usable going hence and forth between OSX and Windows 7

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Use the external to copy over all of the files.

exFAT replaces FAT32 and eliminates some of its issues (4GB file size, < 2TB partition size), although it is still a less robust file system than NTFS or HFS+. It is supported by Windows since XPSP3 and apparently on the 27" iMacs.

Note that a 3 partition scheme like you envision is not supported by Boot Camp Assistant, so you will need to partition the internal drive on your own.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
1) copying all the files from my external hard drive (NTFS) via which operating system:
OSX or Windows 7?

2)
can't I use Boot Camp Assistant to make the 'Windows 7 + programs' partition... I dunno... maybe 100GB is enough...

3) partitioning the internal drive on my own:
I've never used a Mac before, so this untouched territory for me... is there a tutorial on this? and is it possible to make 3 partitions like I envisioned and then install Windows 7 in one of them?
If so please let me know what sizes and tyes (FAT32/FAT64/NTFS) for which partition are recommended...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
1) copying all the files from my external hard drive (NTFS) via which operating system:
OSX or Windows 7?
From current W7 laptop to external drive. Then from external drive to OS of your choice when you have the iMac set up the way you want it.

Can't answer the rest now, but will later if no-one else does.

B

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Just a precision for Q2: transferring data is obviously trivial: just drag & drop or import or whatever, but the iTunes account issue is the point that I can't answer.

Bootcamp will partition your HD in two: Mac OS and Windows.
After you've finished the Bootcamp operation (including install of Windows), use Disk Utility to further partition the Mac OS drive: Select that partition, then click on the "+" button below; drag with the mouse to adjust the sizes and partition. Now you have 3 partitions: 2xMac and 1 Windows. Now you just need to re-format (erase) the non-system Mac partition using FAT and voila!
Re. sizes of partitions, only you can be judge, according to the data you have and/or will have.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
the most important thing is to get the partitions right first...
'cos I want to move all my media files to the 'media' partition, which can be shared by both OSes... at least if it's possible.

if not... I want to be able to edit everything in Mac OSX and view in Windows7

PS: I really appreciate you guys helping me out... thanks a lot

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
@balamw:
could you pls tell me how to make 3 partitions I mentioned... and how to set up properly...

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I guess I'll give it a try... I've made a back-up using Time Machine, and read a lot of articles, so let's put it to the test.
I inserted the installation disc with OS X and held the C key during startup.
Using Disk Utility I choose these 4 partitions:
- Macintosh HD, 100GB
- Media, 500GB, exFAT
- BACK-UP, 250GB, to store my future Time Machine back-ups
- Windows 7, 150GB, exFAT

Am I heading into the right direction?
I got a few concerns:
1) Should I use Boot Camp Assisant nevertheless? Or can I insert the Windows Installation CD and hold the C key during startup, and choose the partition I created?
2) About backing-up with Time Machine... Is this possible or should I use an external HDD instead?
3) The sizes and types of my partitions... Are they correct? Does it matter FAT32 or exFAT? I want to be able to use/edit partition Media on both OSes, if possible...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Am I heading into the right direction?
I got a few concerns:
1) Should I use Boot Camp Assisant nevertheless? Or can I insert the Windows Installation CD and hold the C key during startup, and choose the partition I created?
2) About backing-up with Time Machine... Is this possible or should I use an external HDD instead?
3) The sizes and types of my partitions... Are they correct? Does it matter FAT32 or exFAT? I want to be able to use/edit partition Media on both OSes, if possible...

Sorry. I had found a nice guide and YouTube video and can no longer find the links quickly.

1. Skip Boot Camp Assistant. Hold Alt/Option on boot and insert the Windows Install disc only when the Boot Camp boot selector comes up. (There are some hangs sometimes if you leave it in during boot). NOTE: Unlike BCA directed install, you will have to hold Alt/Option each time Windows requires a boot.

2. An external/NAS would be better. If the internal HDD hardware dies you would lose both your file and the backup.

3. Since you have the 27" exFAT should be fine for your needs. FAT32 would limit you to < 4GB files which could limit some media uses and is thus undesirable.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
First attempt failed... :(
Apparently Windows 7 is only installable on a NTFS drive, should have seen that coming. And when trying to do use Boot Camp Assistant, I learned that it only works with an Intel-based Mac that has a single hard disk partition.
So after 2 hard lessons learned... I'm reinstalling OS X on 1 partition...

I read something about making more than 1 partition with Boot Camp Assistant... More on that soon...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
@balamw
I just got back to 1 partition... Can I still hold the option key during startup? or do I need to have again 3 partitions first (back-up is indeed better on HDD).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
@balamw
I just got back to 1 partition... Can I still hold the option key during startup? or do I need to have again 3 partitions first (back-up is indeed better on HDD).

At this point you could use Boot Camp Assistant to perform W7 install into your 150GB desired W7 partition. Follow the guide and use W7 to make it NTFS.

Once that is done, reboot back to OS X and use Disk Utility to carve out some empty space between OS X and W7 for your exFAT partition (drag the lower right corner of your OS X partition up) and create the exFAT partition in that space.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
So basically there are two ways to the same end result... Great!
I'll try it out... Btw is it still possible to make the third partition (media) bigger than Macintosh HD?

So this is what I will end up with:
Macintosh HD, 150GB
Windows 7, NTFS, 150GB
Media, exFAT, 700GB

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
In order to do so, am I supposed to format the drive called BOOTCAMP?

Yup.

You can't easily get to 150/150/700 in that order using BCA, you can however get to 150/700/150. Make the original partitions 850/150 and resize the 850 to 150.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Now it's getting confusing...
So Windows7 partition is 150GB...that's not editable...
As for using BCA,I should make Media 150GB? And then...?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Now it's getting confusing...
So Windows7 partition is 150GB...that's not editable...
As for using BCA,I should make Media 150GB? And then...?

Start
OS X : 1TB HFS+

BCA
OS X: 850 GB HFS+
BOOTCAMP: 150 GB FAT32/exFAT

W7 Install
OS X: 850 GB HFS+
W7: 150 GB NTFS

Disk Utility
OS X: 150 GB HFS+
MEDIA: 700 GB exFAT
W7: 150 GB: NTFS

The MEDIA partition will be read/write from both OSes, and the OS partitions will be read-only from the "other" OS.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.