PDA

View Full Version : slow network speeds

doofy
Dec 22, 2004, 12:58 PM
on my wireless home network (54mbps, airport express) the speeds wont go any faster thenn 1 mbyte/s, this is when i try to transfer files from my imac to my windows pc.
Imac G5 is on the third floor, Aiport Express and windows pc are on the second floor.
any tips on how to increase the speed of this network ?

jeremy.king
Dec 22, 2004, 01:54 PM
I assume the windows PC is wireless as well and has a 802.11g compatible card? And the iMac has aiport extreme card?

The 54Mbps is a theoretical maximum and is almost never acheived and is equal to 6.75 MBps

If either has a 802.11b card or a 10baseT wired connection, then your theoretical optimal speed is going to be less than or equal to 1.375MBps. If this is the case consider yourself lucky to be getting 1MBps

FYI
b=bit
B=Byte
1 Byte = 8 bits

doofy
Dec 23, 2004, 05:49 AM
both computers have a 54mbps adapter.. so as you said i need to get a maximum of 6.75 MBps, but i dont get that :(

jeremy.king
Dec 23, 2004, 08:57 AM
Thats a theoretical maximum that I doubt anyone in the real world has come remotely close to.

There are many factors that will impact wireless data transfer. Not sure what else to offer. If you really want fast transfers, you could try wired connections such as firewire or gigabit.

How much data are you talking anyways? 1MBps isn't *that* slow unless you are trying to copy GBs worth of data.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 23, 2004, 09:02 AM
on my wireless home network (54mbps, airport express) the speeds wont go any faster thenn 1 mbyte/s, this is when i try to transfer files from my imac to my windows pc.
Imac G5 is on the third floor, Aiport Express and windows pc are on the second floor.
any tips on how to increase the speed of this network ?
One other thing I should mention - if any device with an older 11 mbps card (regular AirPort/WiFi) connects to the network, everyone's speed drops - the more older devices, the slower the speeds get.