Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Anyone else notice that when using the iPad to surf, they use random fingers to manipulate the screen and, more interestingly, the particular digit(s) or hand(s) used to achieve a particular operation (zoom, pan, scroll) at one moment are entirely different from those used to do the same thing a second time?

For example, I zoom in many ways: Sometimes I use classic the finger and thumb "pinch", sometimes both thumbs (when holding the iPad with both hands), sometimes all five fingers (because it looks cool), sometimes using two random fingers of different hands, etc.

I was wondering if this freedom (as opposed to the constraints of using a fixed -button mouse on a fixed-size mousepad, in a fixed position on a desk, to click fixed UI elements such as scroll bars on a fixed screen) might actually lessen the risk of RSI?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
Currently when using my PC I need to swap between two different pen mice, a normal mouse just to stop my hand seizing up. (Pen mice are brilliant but some tasks need a more stable mouse.)

So as an RSI suffer... YES! The iPad is a god send to the point where I actually use my iPad AS my mouse via air mouse. :) Or I use a remote desktop app where I can to avoid my pc all together.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
Definitley.

For a while at least, until you develop iPad RSI ;)

I don't think that could actually happen ;) After all you use the ipad the way that feels most comfortable at the time, and as mentioned above you can use different fingers, or a different hand if you were so inclined :) I certainly haven't had any strain from mine and I use it way too much :rolleyes:

skullnbones

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
I don't think that could actually happen ;) After all you use the ipad the way that feels most comfortable at the time, and as mentioned above you can use different fingers, or a different hand if you were so inclined :) I certainly haven't had any strain from mine and I use it way too much :rolleyes:

I beg to differ. My right index finger is really sore. So sore is it in fact that I had to take a course of anti-inflammatories when it started hurting. The pain abated a bit once I acquired a bluetooth keyboard. I still have to switch to my middle finger from time to time.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Whenever I use the iPad for any amount of time, my wrists start to hurt really bad, as well as permanently click.

Arran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Whenever I use the iPad for any amount of time, my wrists start to hurt really bad, as well as permanently click.

Just wondering - do you use a case? I find the naked iPad very awkward to hold and carry because it's so slippery. My hand muscles seem to be tensed up all the time just keeping a grip on it (an important consideration for a fragile $700 device).

I bought the apple case and that solved the problem. Its "grippy" surface should come as standard on the iPad.

Edit: Do you type much on it? Do you think the keyboard's an issue? I tend to just read.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Maybe it's best to rotate usage.

I do that with a laptop. I switch from trackpad to mouse, or Wacom. I also switch hands with the trackpad.

If I don't change fingers/ hands I will cripple myself.

For instance, i'm using my left hand with the touchpad on my Macbook right now (I'm right handed), as my right hand is at risk. I caught the problem before it would develop into RSI, but if I kept it up, that's what would happen.
I've never actually progressed to RSI, but I imgaine it can happen with just about any part of your body ;)

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
Wow I am surprised to hear that some of you do have trouble, might I suggest that you indeed consider a good case and also try just stretching out your hands and doing a little hand exercise every now and then.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Certainly. Although most RSI come from use at work and then doing the same at home.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Ive been using computers of all varieties for over 28 years, im 35 years of age and am a touch-typer (70 wpm), and have never ever suffered any RSI injuries and I don't even lift my wrist when I type. Some people are more prone to this than others.

checor

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Don't have an iPad yet but researching one. I know I use my iPhones a whole lot and especially for reading and random surfing and it tends to make my wrists hurt in different ways. :-/

skullnbones

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
To me it's not the angle, case used (Yoobao or Defender), nor repetitive strain. It's the constant micro-trauma from the percussion of my finger effectively tapping on a window all day. A keyboard has shock absorbing qualitites. Glass is unforgiving.

bahamamamma

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
RSI may start hitting in your 40's

Wear and tear is wear and tear. Normally we all "recover" every night, but over time, many folks do develop symptoms in their 40s... As a preventive, stay healthy, exercised, and rested. (And pick your parents better :) ) I'm going to think twice before buying an iPad though. Eye-tracking technology should get here in a couple of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.