Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantasy Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I don't like streaming to my ATV because, half way through a film, my Macbook Pro goes to sleep and the ATV suddenly stops.

So I have to go into System Prefs and switch off the sleep timer.

Then a couple of days later I get back from work to find my MBP has been on all day. So I have to reset the sleep timer again.

Then a few days later I watch a film on my ATV... well, you get the idea!

So have Apple sorted it so the Mac knows it's streaming to the ATV and temporarily disables the sleep function?

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
I don't like streaming to my ATV because, half way through a film, my Macbook Pro goes to sleep and the ATV suddenly stops.

Then a couple of days later I get back from work to find my MBP has been on all day. So I have to reset the sleep timer again.

This sounds like a User issue, not an Apple issue. :)

I set all my machines to never sleep, and I manual sleep them when they are not in use.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007

Then a few days later I watch a film on my ATV... well, you get the idea!

So have Apple sorted it so the Mac knows it's streaming to the ATV and temporarily disables the sleep function?

Why don't you check the "Wake for network access" option in the energy savings settings...

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I have my MacPro set to never sleep automatically. I tried using the Wake For Network Access feature, but it resulted in my MacPro being wakened all the time. However, I just did some research and found that you're supposed to have a more modern base station than I have, so that might be my problem.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
If you use a Time Capsule or AEBS you can set waking by wireless access. It works pretty well. I personally found it would not work if you use AE in your setup.

So yes, the fixed it...buy you have to use apple products for your router.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Out of interest, why not?

Over the years, I've done a bunch of different things where the computer was left running, but no user input was required. Unfortunately, computers aren't always smart enough to recognize that something is going on and they should stay awake. It's really frustrating to find that your computer went to sleep while it was crunching away on a task.

Now, it's quite possible that OS X is a lot smarter now. However, I got in the habit of working this way and it works for me. This way, I never have any concern that my computer might sleep when I don't want it to.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Out of interest, why not?

If you use a Time Capsule or AEBS you can set waking by wireless access. It works pretty well. I personally found it would not work if you use AE in your setup.

So yes, the fixed it...buy you have to use apple products for your router.

I've got an AEBS, but it's pretty old (2004, maybe?). I think I read you have to have one from 2007 or later to get this to work.

Fantasy Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Over the years, I've done a bunch of different things where the computer was left running, but no user input was required. Unfortunately, computers aren't always smart enough to recognize that something is going on and they should stay awake. It's really frustrating to find that your computer went to sleep while it was crunching away on a task.

Now, it's quite possible that OS X is a lot smarter now. However, I got in the habit of working this way and it works for me. This way, I never have any concern that my computer might sleep when I don't want it to.

I'm glad you've said all that - and I'm sure you're not alone.

This shows that Apple can do all they fancy to make their products more environmentally friendly, but it's the OS that really needs looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.