PDA

View Full Version : New(er) 17"?? axe the old for new

donniedarko
Dec 22, 2004, 02:14 PM
My (ex) girlfriend was cool enough to get me my computer... 17" 2 gb ram. She wants it back or I have the option to buy it from her.

Question-
Rumor is the next update due pretty soon is rumored to be a 1.67 processor, and the price has come down in the latest revision and the rumore was for it to com down a little more. I want the dual core but, well who knows how long that will be. SHe want me to kick her 2k for the computer...
Make sense for me to get a new one, no? Thoughts....

jxyama
Dec 22, 2004, 02:30 PM
did she "give" it to you or just let you use it?

if you wanted to get nasty, i'm sure you can legally argue about it, if it's former...

$2k doesn't sound too bad for a 17", esp. with 2 GB RAM. those two alone will add nearly $400 to the cost...

sgarringer
Dec 22, 2004, 02:30 PM
My (ex) girlfriend was cool enough to get me my computer... 17" 2 gb ram. She wants it back or I have the option to buy it from her.

Question-
Rumor is the next update due pretty soon is rumored to be a 1.67 processor, and the price has come down in the latest revision and the rumore was for it to com down a little more. I want the dual core but, well who knows how long that will be. SHe want me to kick her 2k for the computer...
Make sense for me to get a new one, no? Thoughts....

Break up with her and just keep it.

csubear
Dec 22, 2004, 02:41 PM
sorry to join the jerk group,.... but keep it, and don't give her any money. If she was not smart enough to know that spending 3k on something from someone who has no legel binding to you is a bad idea... well then i think she needs to learn a lesson here.

jxyama
Dec 22, 2004, 02:48 PM
sorry to join the jerk group,.... but keep it, and don't give her any money. If she was not smart enough to know that spending 3k on something from someone who has no legel binding to you is a bad idea... well then i think she needs to learn a lesson here.

i don't know about that. just because there's no legal bind doesn't mean you can keep it. the fact she "gave" it to you is no more legally binding than the relationship itself. she will have a fairly good case in court to get the laptop back, esp. if she can produce the evidence of payment. in fact, if she really wanted to get nasty in return, she could probably claim theft.

sgarringer
Dec 22, 2004, 04:25 PM
i don't know about that. just because there's no legal bind doesn't mean you can keep it. the fact she "gave" it to you is no more legally binding than the relationship itself. she will have a fairly good case in court to get the laptop back, esp. if she can produce the evidence of payment. in fact, if she really wanted to get nasty in return, she could probably claim theft.

if someone gives you a gift, there is no legal stipulation that if they change their mind and want it back you must return it. a gift can really be considered as a sale, with a price of 0.

now if you can prove it was done under false pretence, thats a different story. for instance, i dated a girl for 4 months and baught her a cellphone. turns out, she had another boyfriend, and just wanted someone to buy her a cellphone and also some other things. i took her to small claims court and won, because she had lied to me by allowing me to think that were were "involved"

jeremy.king
Dec 22, 2004, 04:52 PM
Break up with her and just keep it.

I'm guessing thats already been done, given the "(ex)" reference.

donniedarko
Dec 22, 2004, 09:57 PM
Well thanks for the input.... I'm not going to dog her. Not my style. But I was wondering if you guys think the new rumored 17 is that much better then just buying off the one I have... The memory I paid near 500$ total for after the fact.

The price on the new ones is down and the next revision word is it will be down as well...

Whaddya think?

Koodauw
Dec 22, 2004, 10:51 PM
Well thanks for the input.... I'm not going to dog her. Not my style. But I was wondering if you guys think the new rumored 17 is that much better then just buying off the one I have... The memory I paid near 500$ total for after the fact.

The price on the new ones is down and the next revision word is it will be down as well...

Whaddya think?

way to take the high road. I can't beleive everyone else said to stiff her. You're Bums. Anyways, I dont think you'll notice much of a difference in the any new 17'' PBs, and 2 GBs of ram is very nice. Id say keep it, unless having the latest and greatest appeals alot to you.

Rod Rod
Dec 22, 2004, 11:02 PM
If you happened to buy her around $3000 or more worth of jewelry as gifts you can use that as leverage to keep the PowerBook without paying her that $2000. :)

Dr. Dastardly
Dec 22, 2004, 11:07 PM
Even if the new Powerbook's come out soon (most likely MWSF if its real soon) it will only be a marginal speed increase, nothing to extravagant. But lets say that the new Powerbook's come out today, you will NOT be able to find a 17" Powerbook with 2 gigs of ram for $2000. If you buy the latest and greatest you will end up spending $1000 more for something with significantly less memory.

Just my 2 cents. :p

Dr. Dastardly
Dec 22, 2004, 11:09 PM
If you happened to buy her around $3000 or more worth of jewelry as gifts you can use that as leverage to keep the PowerBook without paying her that $2000. :)
I have tried that once with a girlfriend, they called my bluff. :(

What the hell am I going to do with jewlery. :p

donniedarko
Dec 23, 2004, 12:37 AM
I too was suprised about the 'stick her' mentality. Not judging just suprised. I start relationships with love end like that. To much hate in the world to perpetuate my own....

Well I can get a PB out of state less tax from a reseller. Maybe $2599. The memory as I said cost me @ 500.
I never her bought her anything that sweet- duh, she bought me the laptop! Maybe I will just get an iBook and wait till the G4 duals come out-
Thanks
xDx

absolut_mac
Dec 23, 2004, 01:12 AM
for instance, i dated a girl for 4 months and baught her a cellphone. turns out, she had another boyfriend, and just wanted someone to buy her a cellphone and also some other things. i took her to small claims court and won, because she had lied to me by allowing me to think that were were "involved"

It's hard or me to believe that she'd be such a low-life and cheat on her bf just so that she could wrangle a free cell phone out of you :(

Rod Rod
Dec 23, 2004, 01:29 AM
I too was suprised about the 'stick her' mentality. Not judging just suprised. I start relationships with love end like that. To much hate in the world to perpetuate my own....

Well I can get a PB out of state less tax from a reseller. Maybe $2599. The memory as I said cost me @ 500.
I never her bought her anything that sweet- duh, she bought me the laptop! Maybe I will just get an iBook and wait till the G4 duals come out-
Thanks
xDx

That's a great idea IF you're able to get that 2GB of RAM out of the machine. From the way it sounds, that seems to be the case. You have the original 512 sitting around somewhere, right?

sgarringer
Dec 23, 2004, 09:00 AM
It's hard or me to believe that she'd be such a low-life and cheat on her bf just so that she could wrangle a free cell phone out of you :(

he was in on the plan also. in fact, i think it might have been his idea.

sgarringer
Dec 23, 2004, 09:03 AM

I'm not saying an eye for an eye. But trust me. Once you've been screwed over like this a couple of times, you learn your lesson (powerbook might only take one time).

wwooden
Dec 24, 2004, 05:52 PM
How computer savy is she?? Would she know if it had the ram or not? If not, I say remove the memory, put the original back in and buy a new one and install the 2 Gigs of ram.

donniedarko
Dec 27, 2004, 12:35 PM
How computer savy is she?? Would she know if it had the ram or not? If not, I say remove the memory, put the original back in and buy a new one and install the 2 Gigs of ram.

The ram I got was cheap.... I trust some of you guys know the last place to get memory is from Apple. I spent just over 500 for the 2 modules. I was going to pull 1 of the cards and drop the 512 back in...
What it really comes down to is what Stevo is going to drop on us here in early Jan.
Thanks for the feedback
xDx