Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Has anyone did the linux on ipod thing yet? I just installed it on my 3g and its OK. It has bad hdd and battery managment, but on the other hand it unlocks the real cababilities of the iPod. It has a file browser that will display .jpg, .gif, and other good stuff. A calculator is also included and some nice games. I like that it can dual boot to the OEM OS.

Its cool but i wonder if it is illegal.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I've installed it on my iPod, but got tired of it pretty quickly and restored the original firmware. I don't believe it's illegal, and it (probably) doesn't void your warranty, as long as you make sure to reinstall the original OS and stuff if you ever need to send it in for repairs.

The whole linux on iPod thing seems like a valiant effort, but really hasn't reached the level of functionality to use on a daily basis.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
i was going to try it a while back but it seemed like too much effort for nothing, it would have been cool if it would include a council however text input would be impossible. thus linux on ipod is just for bragging rights in the geek world

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why?

As in why bother? Linux does have its uses, but peoples yimr could br better spent on improving linux where it is really useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.