PDA

View Full Version : airport express is being inconsistent

mark!
Sep 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
Just today I received a (refurbished) airport express in the mail. I had trouble setting it up at first, but finally was able to create a network. Since then I've been having numerous problems. I've tried searching the internet and this forum for a situation similar to mine.

I have a cable modem running to the airport express via ethernet. I also have a printer plugged into it. All of my software is up-to-date (including the airport express), the light on the device is green, and I've restarted the modem, airport express, and computer. I am running 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro (2.26 GHz).

Here are some of the problems I am having:

1. When I try to connect to my network in System Preferences, it will ask for my password. Once I type in the password and click okay, the dialog box asking for a password pops up again after having already entered it.

2. When I try to connect to my network using the Airport tab in the menu bar, it will either:

A) Tell me my password is incorrect (even though it's the correct one, which is stupid because it's a password remembered in keychain).

B) Tell me that the "Connection timed out"

3. Once I finally get connected to my network, I have to ***** with "Network Diagnostics" and "System Preferences" to get the thing to actually connect to the internet. Usually this means renewing my DHCP lease, etc.

4. Once everything is in working order (I'm on the internet, printer can print wirelessly, etc) the internet will drop out after about 5-10 minutes.

Please help me!!! This is extremely frustrating and I've never had this much trouble with an Apple product. I was expecting all of this to work seamlessly considering all of the stuff I'm using is relatively new. I thought I would be able to just plug and go.

MacForScience
Sep 25, 2010, 11:26 PM
Just today I received a (refurbished) airport express in the mail. I had trouble setting it up at first, but finally was able to create a network. Since then I've been having numerous problems. I've tried searching the internet and this forum for a situation similar to mine.

I have a cable modem running to the airport express via ethernet. I also have a printer plugged into it. All of my software is up-to-date (including the airport express), the light on the device is green, and I've restarted the modem, airport express, and computer. I am running 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro (2.26 GHz).

Here are some of the problems I am having:

1. When I try to connect to my network in System Preferences, it will ask for my password. Once I type in the password and click okay, the dialog box asking for a password pops up again after having already entered it.

2. When I try to connect to my network using the Airport tab in the menu bar, it will either:

A) Tell me my password is incorrect (even though it's the correct one, which is stupid because it's a password remembered in keychain).

B) Tell me that the "Connection timed out"

3. Once I finally get connected to my network, I have to ***** with "Network Diagnostics" and "System Preferences" to get the thing to actually connect to the internet. Usually this means renewing my DHCP lease, etc.

4. Once everything is in working order (I'm on the internet, printer can print wirelessly, etc) the internet will drop out after about 5-10 minutes.

Please help me!!! This is extremely frustrating and I've never had this much trouble with an Apple product. I was expecting all of this to work seamlessly considering all of the stuff I'm using is relatively new. I thought I would be able to just plug and go.

I would reset the airport to factory defaults and re-do the setup. I would also delete the keychain item for your airport network (I am assuming you are paying attention to the exact details of what parts of the OS are asking for the password). The other issue is where is your airport relative to your computer?

I normally don't recommend resets but its a PITA to fix these problems online like this.

Cheers