Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrothers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I've got an "elephant's graveyard" of old Macs in my basement. One of them is an original 128K Mac, purchased at retail on Jan 30, 1984. This is the one I opened up and traced the circuitry so I could figure out how to write MacTEP (the first generally-available telecom program for the Mac). While it has a certain sentimental value to me, it's basically just taking up space and collecting dust. I've thought from time to time about putting it on EBay, but unless it were to bring a significant amount, it's not worth it to me.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this machine's "historic" cachet increases it's value? Is there anywhere besides EBay to sell such a thing, where it's "specialness" might be better appreciated?

Thanks -
- Dennis Brothers

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Now why are these types of threads allowed, the rules state unless you can go into the market place it is wrong to ask the value of something. Why do older Macs not seem to be affected by this

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Now why are these types of threads allowed, the rules state unless you can go into the market place it is wrong to ask the value of something. Why do older Macs not seem to be affected by this
Is it hurting you? Seriously, he's not even asking what its worth, he's asking if this machine's specific history can add to the value. Nowhere in his post is there a phrase like, "How much is this worth?"

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Give him a break, he is just wanting to know if his Mac 128k has any value and could sell anywhere, he is not trying to sell the item on this forum. He's not even asking for a feeler, just wondering if he has a chance of selling it anywhere but eBay and needs advice, that's it.

My best answer...get some great photos showing your Mac 128k from all angles, and booted into the System, running perfectly, and then make a good posting on eBay, I've seen these go for anywhere from $600 - $1000, and much more if they have the original boxes and packaging materials.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Sorry guys, I did not mean to come across as attacking him. I guess its just a "double standard"

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I think in the "Apple Collectors" forum, it's taken a little more leniently, simply because older Macs are more likely to end up on eBay than in the Marketplace. Not to mention it could be used for vague ballpark figures for insuring it.

I paid about $300 for a very early 128K in January, no packaging, but with external floppy, numeric keypad, and matching "fat knob" serial cable. To top it off, mine has a serial number that indicates a 1983 manufacture date!

If you bought yours in January 1984, I'd love to see your serial number to see if we have an older one on your hands!

dbrothers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I think in the "Apple Collectors" forum, it's taken a little more leniently, simply because older Macs are more likely to end up on eBay than in the Marketplace. Not to mention it could be used for vague ballpark figures for insuring it.

I paid about $300 for a very early 128K in January, no packaging, but with external floppy, numeric keypad, and matching "fat knob" serial cable. To top it off, mine has a serial number that indicates a 1983 manufacture date!

If you bought yours in January 1984, I'd love to see your serial number to see if we have an older one on your hands!

The guy who complained really surprised me (and thank you to those who understood what I was asking about and came to my defense).

FWIW, the serial number on the machine is F4020YTM0001. The M0001 part is obviously the model number - I don't know how to interpret the rest of it - it certainly can't mean the 20th week of 1984.

I have a couple of other bits of provenance for this machine: copies of a summer '84 Time Magazine article about me, which includes a picture of me using this Mac; and copies of A+ Magazine articles I wrote about software (including MacTEP) I developed on this Mac.

- Dennis

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
FWIW, the serial number on the machine is F4020YTM0001. The M0001 part is obviously the model number - I don't know how to interpret the rest of it - it certainly can't mean the 20th week of 1984.
Manufactured in: F => Fremont, California, USA
Year of production: 1984
Week of production: 2
Production number: 0YT => 1115
Modell ID: M0001 => original Macintosh 1984 (128k)

Your original Macintosh 1984 (128k) was the 1115th Mac manufactured during the 2nd week of 1984 in Fremont, California, USA.

http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/Mac-Serialnumber-decoder-e.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.