PDA

View Full Version : Zagg LEATHERskins questions

greg555
Sep 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
I got a 50% off code this week so I'm seriously considering buying one.

From their website the alligator and reptile looks the best to me. Does anyone know which would have the best grip and wear characteristics?

How well does the adhesive hold? Is it prone to curling up at the edges from use?

Thanks - Greg

greg555
Sep 28, 2010, 12:05 AM
No answers here and no real reviews on the net or YouTube so I decided to take my chances and order one.

I had the reptile one in my cart and noticed they called it lizard there. So I googled "lizard leather durability" and found a purse site where someone asked about crocodile versus ostrich versus lizard. The comments were that lizard did not wear very well.

So I chickened out and ordered the black (cowhide I presume) one. My main goal is something non-slippery when my fingers sweat, and it has to hold up if I've spend that much money one it.

I'll let you know how I like it in a week or two when it arrives.

Greg

J|D
Sep 28, 2010, 03:46 AM
I've had no problems with mine, have the plain black like yourself. Been using for about a month now.

I use a slip case and have had no issues with curling. The adhesive holds up very well and is a breeze to install.

It feels great to hold and the leather finish really adds a touch of class to the iPad!

greg555
Sep 28, 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I debating whether to cut the back out of my TPU case to be able to have a "bumper" case on with the leather back. I'll probably wait until it comes and give it a try for a few days with just the leather skin.

Greg

leeschill
Sep 28, 2010, 08:33 PM
they remind me of the SGP skins. Its not like Zagg an 'unpopular' brand so I assume they're pretty good products.

greg555
Nov 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I debating whether to cut the back out of my TPU case to be able to have a "bumper" case on with the leather back. I'll probably wait until it comes and give it a try for a few days with just the leather skin.

Greg

I've been using my black LeatherSkin for about a month and I really like it. It totally solves the "sweaty fingers slipping on the TPU case problem", which is why I wanted it. I haven't had any issues of the edges curling up or coming unstuck.

I still haven't decided whether to cut out the back on my TPU case to make a bumper. It would give a bit more bump/drop protection but it wouldn't feel as good to hold since it would be hard to make a perfect cut to remove the center. So you would have the sharp corner of your cut against your fingers (and possibly little nicks from not cutting perfectly). I may still try it some day just to see how it works.

Greg

jjk454ss
Nov 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
I didn't see this thread when you first started it, but I've had my Leatherskin on for quite awhile now and I love it. I have the tan one and have had no issues. I looked at the alligator and it was too much for me, it was kind of cool though.

I ordered on for my iPhone because I like it so much, but for the iPhone the leather is softer and seems a little thicker. It's nice, but the cutout for the flash is too small and interferes with it. I emailed them back and they will send me a new one, but it is not a known issue so the new one will be the same. I'm thinking I can just cut it bigger myself.

I ordered one from SGP because it has the bigger cutout for the flash, but it feels very cheap, like plastic. I also asked for no apple logo cutout, but still got one cutout after they said I could get it without. So anyway, the SGP is going back.

locker314
Nov 19, 2010, 03:21 PM
ZAgg is the best as skins and screen protectors for iphones and ipads. I say get it it will look great. I's take alligator skins man. Remember what look s cooler on the street. A dog crossing the road or an alligator.

Martin

www.locker314.com
;)

greg555
Nov 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
Time for the 1 year update: the black LEATHERskin on my iPad is still perfect. None of the edges have lifted up (and no glue has oozed out the edges) in spite of it being used every day by me and my family. The leather still looks like new and still give a good grip even when your fingers are a bit sweaty or slippery.

The LEATHERskin is all I have on my iPad around the house and I slip it into the original Yoobao case when it leaves the house.

If/when I get a new iPad I will buy another one, even at full price this time.

Cheers - Greg

jjk454ss
Nov 25, 2011, 10:14 PM
Time for the 1 year update: the Zagg LEATHERskin on my iPad is still perfect. None of the edges have lifted up (and no glue has oozed out the edges) in spite of it being used every day by me and my family. The leather still looks like new and still give a good grip even when your fingers are a bit slippery.

The LEATHERskin is all I have on my iPad around the house and I slip it into the original Yoobao case when it leaves the house.

If/when I get a new iPad I will buy another one, even at full price this time.

Cheers - Greg

Agreed. I love the Leatherskins, I have used them on my last couple iPhones, my original iPad had the leather version, and my new iPad has the Poly version which matches the Smart Cover perfectly.

greg555
Dec 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
How does the poly one feel? Does it get slippery (more slippery than real leather)?

Thanks - Greg

Menel
Dec 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
Time for the 1 year update: the black LEATHERskin on my iPad is still perfect. None of the edges have lifted up (and no glue has oozed out the edges) in spite of it being used every day by me and my family. The leather still looks like new and still give a good grip even when your fingers are a bit sweaty or slippery.The LEATHERskin is all I have on my iPad around the house and I slip it into the original Yoobao case when it leaves the house.If/when I get a new iPad I will buy another one, even at full price this time.Cheers - Greg

Had mine since August. Same experience. No glue residue, no lifting edges or corners, feels great in hand.

Black leather skin with cutout for black leather smart cover, which has held up perfectly since I got iPad 2 in July.

And similarly, mine goes in my Built neoprene Messenger when it leaves the house.

jjk454ss
Dec 2, 2011, 07:04 PM
How does the poly one feel? Does it get slippery (more slippery than real leather)?

Thanks - Greg

It feels like the smart cover, its not slippery at all. The grip is nicer when holding it for sure. I think my leather Leatherskin was more slippery than the poly.