PDA

View Full Version : Microphone In to Audio Out

jsalzer
Dec 22, 2004, 06:05 PM
I need some help from the fine folks here.

I'm attempting to put together a setup to make some computer training videos. After trying and failing several screen-recording apps (my actual framerate was about 2 fps), I had the brilliant idea to set up my television as a "second monitor" duplicating the first, running both the video and the sound from my computer into a DVD Recorder (into the TV). I can then take the result from the DVD into Final Cut Pro and put it all together.

The picture is working beautifully! But, the audio (running from the headphone out on the computer to the RCA in on the DVD Recorder) blocks out the microphone. It gets any alert sounds or music, etc. that the apps make, but nothing that I say into the microphone goes through.

I'm sure this has a purpose (to keep people from having microphone sound come back out of their speakers resulting in feedback), but how do I override that? I'm preferably looking for the direct route (which will feed the sound to the DVD Recorder through the computer - to avoid timing lapses), but I'll take any workarounds you can suggest.

Here I was so proud of myself for figuring out a way to get crystal clear video. ;)

Thanks for your help, in advance!

crazzyeddie
Dec 22, 2004, 06:56 PM
Go into Audio MIDI Setup.app (/Applications/Utilities/) and in the bottom left, hit the Thru button in the table. That will play everything from the mic through the speakers. If you have the sound coming out of speakers, you will get an echo or feedback though, so watch out.

jsalzer
Dec 22, 2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Bud!

Why didn't I know that was there? I guess I assumed that "normal" (non-midi) stuff would be done through the regular sound prefs.

Thanks!

saabmp3
Dec 22, 2004, 08:16 PM
Wow, don't do this with a PB. The mic is SO close to the speakers that it's nasty. NASTY I tell you!!

BEN

jsalzer
Dec 22, 2004, 08:30 PM
Don't worry - when the mic-to-rca plug goes into the PB, it shuts off the speakers. All I have to do is mute the TV, and I'll be good.

Though I guess I'd better be careful to turn it off before unplugging the plug. ;)

I'll be giving Eddie's setup a try tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!