Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabeartist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Finland
Hi all,

Is it possible/safe to connect usb keyboard and mouse via an usb hub to a Macbook? I have an older model: 5,2.

Does it matter if the hub is powered or not? Anything else that should be considered?

Thanks!

wannabeartist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Finland
Thanks,

Ok, so there's no risk of breaking anything, then (I guess not if I buy a non-powered hub)? - I'm just asking, because I read somewhere that someone fried his iMac with a "wrong" kind of hub...

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks,

Ok, so there's no risk of breaking anything, then (I guess not if I buy a non-powered hub)? - I'm just asking, because I read somewhere that someone fried his iMac with a "wrong" kind of hub...

I used passive USB hubs before with my Macs and had no problems. I actually never used an active hub before, only with work machines where the computer was in another room than the monitors and input devices.

I would like to know, how one can fry an iMac with such low voltage/ampere devices like a passive hub. USB 2.0 uses a maximum of 5.25 V and 100 mA, not very much to fry a whole Mac.

wannabeartist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Finland
It sounds pretty weird to me also, but here's where I read about it - actually I just browsed through, I didn't really read all of it...

I just though, I'd better ask because I'm such a n00b with Macs :)

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
It sounds like that guy was having a case of operator error. He obviously didn't know much about macs.

You shouldn't worry, I used a 7 port powered belkin up on a MacBook air for months and it worked our just fine!

wannabeartist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Finland
Thanks for the reply!

I was quick, I went and bought one (Belkin, 4 ports) in the meantime and indeed it works just fine. Although I could do without the annoying blue led on it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.