PDA

View Full Version : Inkwell and tablet: How do you use them?

dolphin842
Dec 22, 2004, 08:34 PM
Hey all,

I read Apple's page on Inkwell, and it piqued my interest. My wrists are starting to bother me from repetitive motion, and I am looking for a quicker way to sketch out website designs... so I'm considering getting a tablet.

So, I wanted to solicit suggestions and opinions about Inkwell and how folks use a tablet in general. What do you use a tablet for, and what don't you use it for? Apple lists a number of features... like handwriting recognition, key commands, and mouse control, in addition to the 'traditional' use of tablets in drawing/photo apps. Do you use some of these features and stay away from others?

jadam
Dec 22, 2004, 09:19 PM
Im kind of interested on this matter too. I have been thinking about getting a small tablet for my ibook for whenever I want to do a quick sketch or write notes down in class. I figure it would be pretty good for sketching, but are those tablets any good for taking to class and writing notes down on them?

Also, Don't any of you just wish apple put a touchscreen on their laptops, maybe say the higher end powerbooks? Personally there have been many times when I have just wanted to write something on my ibook's screen. I would get a tablet pc, but in all fairness I want my next computer to be an OS X machine as my current PC is fast enough for any x86 programs.

smitdavi
Dec 22, 2004, 09:31 PM
I don't know how much money you guys are willing to spend, but wacom makes a table to fit about anyones budget and their pretty fun to use. I got mine off amazon.

Muskie
Dec 22, 2004, 09:53 PM
I have a 4x5" wacom. It was only $100 so I figured I would get it. I love it for drawing, it takes some getting used to, which I still am doing, but it's fun to play with. I don't use it seriously for handwriting recognition, but it does work pretty well. I tried using the mouse which came with my tablet for a while (which is a very nice mouse indeed) but I didn't like the fact that I had boundaries, you have to use the mouse on the tablet, just like the pen. If you want to do serious drawings, I suggest getting a bigger tablet. I wish I had now that I have used my 4x5 a lot. It's hard to get detail with such a small tablet.

Good luck!

dolphin842
Dec 23, 2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I'm on a budget, so I'd probably be getting the 4x5 tablet. At the moment, all I have is a 12" PB screen, so it's not that big. I might be getting a 17" lcd down the line, though, so would the 6x8 be a better fit for that? Also, do any of you folks use the tablet as a 'mouse replacement'? Thanks for your insights :)