PDA

View Full Version : Access iMac files on ipad

mattpreston11
Sep 25, 2010, 04:11 PM
Over my local network, any solutions?

Dr Kevorkian94
Sep 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
There is a thread about streaming your libray to ur ipad using your local network and ur Mac, I can't remember the link tho, or how to do it. If u can find it instead of the iTunes libray put your files in there. But it has to to with setting up the site folder. Let me search and I'll write back

Found it:

You can play video through the Mac's built-in Web Sharing. Just put the iPad-compatible .mp4 or .m4v files in your Sites directory, then use the appropriate URL in Safari. (You might even be able to create a directory mapping in Apache so that you don't have to move the files.) It will look like:

http://computername.local/~username/filename.mp4

Obviously a more manual process. (You don't have to type the http:// part. Plus you can also mock up an HTML page with links. Or maybe even write a PHP page to generate it.) But if you need to do it today, and/or you're a cheapskate, it works.

This works on the server side because Apache supports byte ranges for static files. The player can request an arbitrary chunk of the file, so you can jump to any point in the video. This is different than HTTP Live Streaming, which would require wrapping the content in a transport stream and generating the playlist. (In that case, the player would have the "jump back 30 seconds" control.)

aaronw1986
Sep 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
What kind of files...? Air Video for videos. Dropbox works for any type. Goodreader can open over wifi.

mattpreston11
Sep 26, 2010, 07:01 AM
thanks for your reply, this seems like a good idea and i will look into doing that.

However i was most looking for a simple browser, in the same way my ps3 can access all my mac's files and stream it over, or another computer can access the files.

lozpop
Sep 26, 2010, 08:25 AM
GoodReader, perfect for this job. And it's only 0,99$.

kirky29
Sep 26, 2010, 05:40 PM
I use FileBrowser to browse through my local network. :)
Works a treat.

ellie2000
Sep 28, 2010, 05:11 AM
ZumoCast. I use it myself. Top notch ;)

Jaro65
Sep 29, 2010, 03:16 AM
I sync all my stuff over MobileMe. Works great.

mattpreston11
Sep 29, 2010, 09:06 AM
I use FileBrowser to browse through my local network. :)
Works a treat.

Yep this works fine, not so many video formats supported but good all the same.Cheers guys.