PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 external display

salaxi
Sep 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hi y'all, it's my first post here; glad to be a member of this fine group :)
My question is this: I got an 1.33 Ghz G4 iBook logic board, given to me as a working part. However, nothing else that goes along.
I do have all the basic cabling such as speaker and power button, flex cables and such. Also got myself a new external AC power adapter.
Now, i do not intend to use this as a laptop, thus, i will not be looking for a battery, just AC use.
However, there's a big problem, i've no screen. I know there's this software hack that allows to connect an external display, in order to have a "mirroring" desktop. I s'ppose that'd be achievable if i had the original screen to actually do the hack, but i don't have it. So, is there a way that i can just directly connect an external display and completely forget about the internal one?
One more thing, suppose i can't do what i have in mind, if i actually found and borrowed an internal display, would i be alright if after the hack i give the internal display back to it's owner and continue with the external?
Thanks a lot!

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 27, 2010, 08:36 AM
All you need is a MiniVGA>VGA adapter. The VGA output automatically mirrors the main display(even if it's not connected)- no hack needed. Once you get the external monitor working, you can download Screen Spanning Doctor to increase your external display to it's native resolution instead of the iBook's default 1024x768.

salaxi
Sep 29, 2010, 03:32 AM
Gee, thanks! I hope that works. :) I'll get a hold of that adapter and we'll see how it goes. I simply hope that the board does not need to detect an internal screen first...

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 29, 2010, 07:24 AM
Gee, thanks! I hope that works. :) I'll get a hold of that adapter and we'll see how it goes. I simply hope that the board does not need to detect an internal screen first...
You'll be fine. The adapters are like $5 and free shipping on ebay. Good luck.