PDA

View Full Version : FIVE 32GB iPod Touches...

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 25, 2010, 06:43 PM
Over the past 3 days I have been going around town looking for the 4th gen 32 Gig iPod touch.

Long story short,
I got and exchanged 5 of them:
All were bought from Walmart,
All were C3 Serial Numbers, and
All had either Light leaks or Camera clicking or a combination of the two.

I have given up my search for a while until these bugs are worked out.
I wish apple would have some quality assurance when you are dropping $300 for their products.

I might get one in the near future, but I am not sure, I might go with a Kindle or iPad instead

Roessnakhan
Sep 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
Wasn't the camera clicking the result of having the WiFi connected whilst recording? I wouldn't really consider the iPad or Kindle alternatives to a touch, but to each his/her own.

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
Wasn't the camera clicking the result of having the WiFi connected whilst recording? I wouldn't really consider the iPad or Kindle alternatives to a touch, but to each his/her own.

The camera would click when it was on and while it was off on 2 of them

Abscissa
Sep 25, 2010, 07:42 PM
No problems on my C3, 32gb from wallyworld. :)

Zompac
Sep 25, 2010, 10:07 PM
What if walmart was selling you the same ones back and forth.

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 25, 2010, 10:44 PM
What if walmart was selling you the same ones back and forth.

Different walmarts, different serial numbers lol

Alaerian
Sep 26, 2010, 01:14 AM
I might get one in the near future, but I am not sure, I might go with a Kindle or iPad instead
That's like saying, "I wanted a new iPod but instead I'm buying a watermelon or a goldfish." It makes no sense.

ohaithar
Sep 26, 2010, 01:21 AM
5? Damn. I would of given up on Apple after the 2nd one.

Bernard SG
Sep 26, 2010, 01:42 AM
I bought only one and it was perfect right away. Maybe there's something wrong with me :D

Lyubomir1001
Sep 26, 2010, 07:20 AM
I've heard people got rid of the clicking noise after going through DFU mode

GoodBoy
Sep 26, 2010, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about clicking sound - it's the software, not hardware issue! They should fix it in the 4.2 iOS release. Light leak on the other hand is definetly a hardware issue, and i wouldn't accept it either.

Alaerian
Sep 26, 2010, 03:19 PM
So what exactly does this "light leak" do to inhibit functionality of the device?

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

ohaithar
Sep 26, 2010, 03:21 PM
So what exactly does this "light leak" do to inhibit functionality of the device?

Nothing at all.

androiphone
Sep 26, 2010, 03:39 PM

Go ahead, I'm waiting.

yes nothing at all, but it is like buying a brand new car and it being delivered to you and the paintwork is scratched to hell, sure zero of the functionality of the car would be affected (it wouldn't drive differently or go slower) but you honestly telling me you would (or should) accept it in that condition?

supermassive
Sep 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
Apart from the gap which makes it near to impossible to clean the screen with a wet cloth without triggering the water-sensor and voiding the warranty, there's nothing wrong with it. Really!

Maybe except for the fact that it's somewhat distracting when watching movies in the dark ... :rolleyes:

ohaithar
Sep 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
Maybe except for the fact that it's somewhat distracting when watching movies in the dark ... :rolleyes:

Then get a case for it

Alaerian
Sep 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
yes nothing at all, but it is like buying a brand new car and it being delivered to you and the paintwork is scratched to hell, sure zero of the functionality of the car would be affected (it wouldn't drive differently or go slower) but you honestly telling me you would (or should) accept it in that condition?
Let's modify your argument so it actually correlates with the issue here. It's like buying a brand new car and finding that the rear passenger window has a spot a few inches long on the very outside that wasn't tinted, and it can only be noticed in the brightest of sunlight when someone is looking very hard for it.

So no, I wouldn't care.

androiphone
Sep 26, 2010, 04:08 PM
Let's modify your argument so it actually correlates with the issue here. It's like buying a brand new car and finding that the rear passenger window has a spot a few inches long on the very outside that wasn't tinted, and it can only be noticed in the brightest of sunlight when someone is looking very hard for it.

So no, I wouldn't care.

apart from the light leak is on the front of the device in your direct line of sight and can be seen in low light conditions (ie using the ipod in bed at night or when watching TV in low light), I'm not really complaining but as apple is a premium brand their quality control should be better. (so it is like you buying a car and there is a small chip in the in the top right corner (or left if you drive on the wrong side :P) of the windscreen it is annoying because it catches the corner of your eye, not all the time but just every so often and just enough to spoil your mood)

as you see it's not that bad but it is definately noticable and if you use the ipod in the dark then it can easily be a major dealbreaker.
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250915&d=1284066760

cubist
Sep 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
That's the light leak? Those 2 little dots?

700-Grizz
Sep 26, 2010, 06:04 PM
OMG that light leak is catastrophic :rolleyes:

Roessnakhan
Sep 26, 2010, 06:14 PM

Yeah, definitely a lot of people overreacting to something that isn't that bad. Clicking while recording (not due to WiFi) is worth replacing the device, however.

D3lta
Sep 26, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, definitely a lot of people overreacting to something that isn't that bad. Clicking while recording (not due to WiFi) is worth replacing the device, however.

"isn't that bad"? huh? The guy drops $300 on the iPod and it's somehow OK that there's light leakage? You guys have some low standards; I'd keep replacing the iPod until I got a perfect unit.

Alaerian
Sep 26, 2010, 06:30 PM
"isn't that bad"? huh? The guy drops $300 on the iPod and it's somehow OK that there's light leakage? You guys have some low standards; I'd keep replacing the iPod until I got a perfect unit.
They don't have low standards. They're simply too busy using their devices to care about a barely noticeable "light leak."

liamkp
Sep 26, 2010, 06:31 PM
Over the past 3 days I have been going around town looking for the 4th gen 32 Gig iPod touch.

Long story short,
I got and exchanged 5 of them:
All were bought from Walmart,
All were C3 Serial Numbers, and
All had either Light leaks or Camera clicking or a combination of the two.

I have given up my search for a while until these bugs are worked out.
I wish apple would have some quality assurance when you are dropping $300 for their products.

Oh. Thats kinda not very good. I hope these problems are resolved soon.

peestandingup
Sep 26, 2010, 06:40 PM
And yeah, return the product until its right. Light coming in through the seems of the screen is indeed a defect.

Alaerian
Sep 26, 2010, 07:02 PM
Back on topic, I still believe that issues like this are very minor. It's your device, however, so if it's going to bother you so much that it will affect your enjoyment of said device, I suppose your only recourse is to exchange it. Personally, I just don't believe in wasting my own time and an employee's time over a matter that's generally inconsequential.

Plonk
Sep 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
In another thread someone show this pic of light leaking.
http://home.comcast.net/~yan31/ll.jpg

Im hoping that mine isnt going to have this problem when it come. Yes this shouldnt be a problem that we have with this device.

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
And yeah, return the product until its right. Light coming in through the seems of the screen is indeed a defect.

Especially when we are dropping $300 on a product!

ohaithar
Sep 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'd keep replacing the iPod until I got a perfect unit.

Not every product is perfect.

skiltrip
Sep 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
The camera would click when it was on and while it was off on 2 of them

So basically, did they ALL had the clicking issue in one way or another?

tubemonkey
Sep 26, 2010, 08:32 PM

Light leaking out means moisture can leak in; which could trip the moisture detector and invalidate the warranty.

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
So basically, did they ALL had the clicking issue in one way or another?

One of them had no issue with camera clicking, but the light leak on that one was terrible, i mean TERRIBLE

sracer
Sep 26, 2010, 08:41 PM

Go ahead, I'm waiting.
That's a pretty dumb trolling question. That's like asking, "what exactly does a scratched up back do to inhibit functionality of the device?" if you are unable to understand the importance of cosmetic defects then I am confident that you will be able to understand attempts to explain it to you.

Alaerian
Sep 26, 2010, 08:54 PM
That's a pretty dumb trolling question. That's like asking, "what exactly does a scratched up back do to inhibit functionality of the device?" if you are unable to understand the importance of cosmetic defects then I am confident that you will be able to understand attempts to explain it to you.
Not trolling at all. I simply fail to see why this issue has caused such a uproar when it is functionally insignificant. There are other people that share the same mentality - I'm not alone.

skiltrip
Sep 26, 2010, 09:31 PM
One of them had no issue with camera clicking, but the light leak on that one was terrible, i mean TERRIBLE

So 4 out of 5 had the clicking though you're saying. Thats pretty terrible. So 80% of your sample pool had the issue.

The reason I ask is I have two 4th gen touches, and both have the clicking issue. So it seems like ones that don't are in the minority based on our experiences.

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 26, 2010, 09:38 PM
So 4 out of 5 had the clicking though you're saying. Thats pretty terrible. So 80% of your sample pool had the issue.

The reason I ask is I have two 4th gen touches, and both have the clicking issue. So it seems like ones that don't are in the minority based on our experiences.

Yes that is what i am saying... sigh I dont like this, I just want an iPod touch with no light leaks and no Camera clicking.

and I do know that those exist, 2 of my friends have them... perfect

skiltrip
Sep 26, 2010, 09:48 PM
Yes that is what i am saying... sigh I dont like this, I just want an iPod touch with no light leaks and no Camera clicking.

and I do know that those exist, 2 of my friends have them... perfect

So keep on trying. Maybe #6 is the charm. I am putting off exchanging my 8 and 32 cause I don't wanna go thru what you're going thru. Both of mine click but no light leakage.

Bernard SG
Sep 26, 2010, 11:43 PM
BTW, what the hell is "Camera clicking"?

GekiRed
Sep 27, 2010, 01:00 AM
The thread starter has a point actually. I'd be pissed if I dropped up to $400 on a brand new iPod Touch (OK, I spent $383.99 at Amazon.com for mine instead of buying it in the UK so I don't have to pay Herr Jobs extra for the privilege of living in the UK!) and it didn't do as it was advertised or had problems with it such as light leakage.

Over here in the UK, we have a law called "The Sale of Goods Act" and one of the main parts of said law clearly states that a product has to be "fit for the purpose that it was bought for". If it isn't due to a defect, no matter how tiny, then the buyer is entitled to a exchange or a full refund (It also helps if the buyer has a refund).

So yes, I think it's worrying that Apple seems to have let their quality control slip a bit with the new iPod Touch and as a result, they may lose customers for next year's model.

@Alaerian: So you're actually OK with a product having defects, even ones supposedly insignificant as "light leakage"?:rolleyes:

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 27, 2010, 05:57 AM
BTW, what the hell is "Camera clicking"?

When you are connected to Wi-fi (and some when not connected) While recording video, you hear a faint click...click...click in the background. You can even hear it when you press record, set it in a quiet room, and come back to review the footage, its there

ucfgrad93
Sep 27, 2010, 09:37 AM
I bought only one and it was perfect right away. Maybe there's something wrong with me :D

Clearly there is. Please remain where you are, someone should be by shortly to take you away.:p

Tobster3
Sep 27, 2010, 09:41 AM
Recently purchased one from Best Buy - No issues.

supermassive
Sep 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
To the both guys here playing down the issue. I bet, if you have an iPt 4G, you don't have to deal with those annoying lightleaks.

Otherwise you wouldn't call it trivial.

The camera clicking could(and probably will) be fixed easily by an update. Just let the camera-app disconnect from wifi on start and reconnect on quitting. It won't be fixed in hardware since you had to isolate the micro much better from the wifi-antenna. It's a similar effect to a mobile phone causing nearby speakers to clatter shortly before an incoming call.

Alaerian
Sep 27, 2010, 12:39 PM
@Alaerian: So you're actually OK with a product having defects, even ones supposedly insignificant as "light leakage"?
I'm sorry, but I simply fail to see a light leak as a defect. Functionality is not affected in any way. To me, if the device works as advertised, then I'm perfectly content.

If you feel your enjoyment of said product is affected by a light leak, then it's your right to return or exchange it. My time and another employee's time is simply worth more.

tubemonkey
Sep 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I simply fail to see a light leak as a defect. Functionality is not affected in any way.

Until moisture seeps in at those points, shorts some wiring, trips the moisture detector, and voids the warranty. No big deal, right?

Alaerian
Sep 27, 2010, 01:07 PM
Until moisture seeps in at those points, shorts some wiring, trips the moisture detector, and voids the warranty. No big deal, right?
Could you quote your source where this has happened?

peestandingup
Sep 27, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I simply fail to see a light leak as a defect. Functionality is not affected in any way. To me, if the device works as advertised, then I'm perfectly content.

If you feel your enjoyment of said product is affected by a light leak, then it's your right to return or exchange it. My time and another employee's time is simply worth more.

People want what they paid for, dude. Why is this so hard for you to understand?? You've said your peace, you're OK with keeping defective products. The rest of us aren't. So why keep hammering at it?? Any reputable company is gonna stand by their products (Apple included). Trust me, I worked in the stores for years. They WANT you to return defective products, and light leakage is indeed a defect. I assure you it's not supposed to do that & could lead to bigger problems.

BTW, apparently your time isn't so important if you are constantly combing the threads looking to swat away any negativity. You have time for that but not returning a defective product? Yeah, I'm not buying that.

tubemonkey
Sep 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
Could you quote your source where this has happened?

Because it hasn't happened yet, it will never happen?

Ah, I get it now. ;)

GoodBoy
Sep 27, 2010, 01:41 PM

You're very funny calling light leaks something to deal with and not exchange. How can you like it? Light leak clearly affects functionality when watching screen at night or even in low light rooms. It distracts your eyes from the screen so it's definetly not something to live with, at least not for me. Maybe you like your eyes to be distracted from the screen so speak for yourself. That's one thing, and another are possible dust and moisture to get in.

GekiRed
Sep 27, 2010, 02:15 PM

I don't know what world you're from, but in most countries; especially the UK, a light leak would definitely be seen as a defect from a legal point of view which would mean that the customer who bought the iPod Touch with said defect would be entitled to a refund or exchange depending on the period of time between the date of purchase and when the defect was detected.

In any case, I hope you'll be happy with your new toy if it ever becomes defective...

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
#6 iPod touch 32 gig model

WORKS GREAT! no light leaks, no Camera clicking :eek: :D

supermassive
Sep 27, 2010, 03:51 PM
congratulations!

Were your other iPts new or restocked ones? Did you exchange em in Store or by Mail?

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
congratulations!

Were your other iPts new or restocked ones? Did you exchange em in Store or by Mail?

All of them were new, direct from walmart store, which i exchanged them from too

Speczorz
Sep 27, 2010, 05:37 PM

That's good to hear, was it a c3?

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
That's good to hear, was it a c3?

Weirdly enough... yes it is

skiltrip
Sep 27, 2010, 07:35 PM

Very good news. The down side is I have TWO with camera clicking, but no light leaks. I wonder what the chances are of me getting two replacements with no issues?
I think I'll start tomorrow with my 32GB and see how it goes.

Did they give you a whole new box w/ accessories, or did they just exchange the iPod itself?

liamkp
Sep 27, 2010, 07:49 PM

Awesome. Hope I don't have to go through this, or... I hope they get these problems fixed. Good Luck!

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 27, 2010, 08:08 PM
Did they give you a whole new box w/ accessories, or did they just exchange the iPod itself?

Walmart Exchanged EVERYTHING, cause i never took anything else out of the box or used any of them. and they check if everything is there anyways

skiltrip
Sep 27, 2010, 08:26 PM
Walmart Exchanged EVERYTHING, cause i never took anything else out of the box or used any of them. and they check if everything is there anyways

ok, gotcha. the apple store usually does it different. they did when i exchanged an iPod classic. they just wanted the actually iPod, and just gave me an iPod in exchange.

Captain Bozo
Sep 27, 2010, 08:35 PM
That's like saying, "I wanted a new iPod but instead I'm buying a watermelon or a goldfish." It makes no sense.

You are wrong.

It totally depends on what the OP intends to use the device for.

A correct analogy might be that he wanted a BLT but the bacon sucked so he instead will make a PBJ or a burger.

peestandingup
Sep 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
Ah, Wal-Mart. They'll take back anything wont they. I once took back an OPENED package of underwear that had clearly been washed. Now that's just wrong, lol.

Kyle4
Sep 27, 2010, 10:33 PM
I've had to return 5 64GB units. Three had light leaking and two had 4 or more stuck pixels out of the box. Different serial numbers, different stores. I've never had problems with Apple products before this touch, but I feel that they've really dropped the ball on quality for this product. For $500 all I expect is a defect free product. I've since given up on getting one of these.

RayLancer
Sep 27, 2010, 11:33 PM
My 2nd iPod Touch 4G 32GB came in from Amazon (I bought 2). 2nd one had no issues whatsoever. I'm going to take the first one I got and get it exchanged. Even though I bought it from Amazon, could I take it to Apple and get it exchanged? And would I need to print out a receipt from Amazon to prove it?

skiltrip
Sep 28, 2010, 09:00 AM
My 2nd iPod Touch 4G 32GB came in from Amazon (I bought 2). 2nd one had no issues whatsoever. I'm going to take the first one I got and get it exchanged. Even though I bought it from Amazon, could I take it to Apple and get it exchanged? And would I need to print out a receipt from Amazon to prove it?

You can take it to the Apple Store, no problem. I took an iPod classic I bought from Sweetwater.com to the Apple Store for replacement and I didn't need a receipt. It should be registered as soon as you set it up in iTunes.

aznguyen316
Sep 30, 2010, 01:37 PM

So no, I wouldn't care.

I agree with this one. Scratched to hell? lol I wouldn't buy it if it a car was scratched to hell, but my light leak, I only noticed it after turning off all the lights, turning on brightness and LOOKING at that spot that was the common culprit. so yeah it's like looking for a scratch on your brand new car. And yes there WAS a scratch on your brand new car you bought, no one pointed it out though.

GoodBoy
Sep 30, 2010, 03:18 PM

Since you swapped so many, may I ask if they had bad pixels issue? And this last one is it free of bad pixels?

DUDEMANGUY5
Sep 30, 2010, 03:20 PM
Since you swapped so many, may I ask if they had bad pixels issue? And this last one is it free of bad pixels?

The screens were great on all of them, no dead pixels :)

GoodBoy
Sep 30, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hmm, that might actually suggest Apple improved LCD QC :) I remember bad pixels were very common in the first and second gens iPod touch.

Link2999
Oct 1, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thought I would share my reports.

1st iPod - Unknown Serial - Yellow Tinting at the Top of the Screen
2nd iPod - CC - Light Leak and Dead Pixel
3rd iPod - CC - Light Leak (worse than 2nd)
4th iPod - C3 - Light Leak (better than 2nd & 3rd), Clicking when WiFi is On (Didn't check on 1-3)

Sticking with the 4th for now, may return it if I find a dead pixel or something later on.