PDA

View Full Version : ripping bluray to stream to new atv

koopa35
Sep 26, 2010, 12:48 AM
hello all im new to the apple tv scene. ill be getting the new version of it. my question is how can i rip bluray to my mac mini to stream to my new apple tv? i dont need step by step help... i just need to know what top 2 or 3 apps to use? will a reg superdrive handle it? and in order to play or stream to to my new apple tv will these files need to be in itunes?

Ivan P
Sep 26, 2010, 01:41 AM
The superdrives in all Macs support only DVDs and CDs - they do not support Bluray. So, first you will need to purchase an external Bluray drive.

Second, for apps - download two amazing programs called MakeMKV and Handbrake. MakeMKV will rip the Blurays as an MKV video file, and then you put it through Handbrake to convert it into a format that your Apple TV will recognise :)

koopa35
Sep 26, 2010, 01:45 AM
The superdrives in all Macs support only DVDs and CDs - they do not support Bluray. So, first you will need to purchase an external Bluray drive.

Second, for apps - download two amazing programs called MakeMKV and Handbrake. MakeMKV will rip the Blurays as an MKV video file, and then you put it through Handbrake to convert it into a format that your Apple TV will recognise :)

thanx will handbreak keep 1080p quality?

Mr Kram
Sep 26, 2010, 01:49 AM
Handbrake supports 1080, but ATV doesn't. There is a huge thread about converting bluray for ATV.

koopa35
Sep 26, 2010, 01:51 AM
Handbrake supports 1080, but ATV doesn't. There is a huge thread about converting bluray for ATV.

can you be kind and point me to it?

bucksaddle
Sep 26, 2010, 01:51 AM
It will allow you to keep the 1080p resolution but you can't stream that to the new ATV - 720 is the max for the ATV.

Microsaft
Sep 26, 2010, 02:00 AM
can you be kind and point me to it?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541517&highlight=blu+ray+apple

koopa35
Sep 26, 2010, 02:05 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541517&highlight=blu+ray+apple

thanx for all the help. i have all i need now to make this work