Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorRamen

Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Hello everyone,
I just got off the phone with Apple support and I was told I should bring in my iMac to an apple store to get it checked out. However, I am EXTREMELY busy. So in the meantime I was wondering if anyone could help fix this issue:
I have a brand new iMac literally purchased a month ago, 21.5", when I insert a disc it keeps it for about three seconds and pops it right out, the disc does not even register with my computer.
Is there anyway to fix this without having to go all the way to the Apple store (I don't own a car).
Thanks,
Alex

DoctorRamen

Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Im sure you are, but are you putting the disk in facing the right way?
Text/graphics facing me, correct? I tried both way to make sure I was doing it right and nothing works.

Has it ever accepted a disc? Is it a software disc or a blank one you are trying to insert? Could be a faulty dvd drive
I've never attempted to insert a disc before, it's a DVD. However, I also tried inserting the install discs that came with the Mac and a Music CD, neither of them worked.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Have you tried an SMC
Reset SMC of an iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini:
* Shut down your Mac
* Disconnect the power cord
* Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 5 seconds
* Release the button
* Reattach the power cables and boot the Mac as usual
and PRAM resets?
1.Locate the following keys on your Macintosh keyboard: COMMAND, OPTION, 'P', and 'R'. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in the next step.
2.Restart your Macintosh and hold the COMMAND-OPTION-'P'-'R' key combination. You must be pressing this key combination before you get to the 'Welcome to Macintosh' screen.
3.You will hear the startup chime. Continue holding the keys down until you have heard three chimes.
4.Your Apple computer's PRAM will be reset to the default values.
You may lose some of your customized settings. Use the Control Panels to restore them to your liking.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I cannot help you anymore from behind my computer screen. I would take Apple's advice and make an appointment with a Genius. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.