PDA

View Full Version : AirTunes with the new ATV

darkplanets
Sep 26, 2010, 02:40 PM
Admittedly I know very little about the new ATV, and have been considering it. So, I figured I'd ask a few questions, since I can't find a definitive answer.

Since decode is done client side (ATV) theoretically only the HDD should be spooling server side (media source). As such, AirTunes, etc, won't be originating from the server, but instead the ATV. Does the new ATV support AirTunes like iTunes does? That is, say I play a movie via the new ATV, and instead of wanting the hard-wired optical or HDMI-based audio out, I want to use AirTunes to play my audio via an Airport Express. Is this possible?

Then say, for example, I have an ATV playing a video, with audio coming through and TV or whatever audio devices connected to it, but then I also want audio playing through AirTunes, is this possible?

Lastly, is it possible to having multiple streams playing out of the ATV? For example lets say 5 Airport Express stations throughout the house, with the TV also outputting audio. Can I do this?

As an aside; will iOS4.2 devices be able to play content directly via AirTunes? Could I play music through my iTouch, without requiring my computer to be on and controlled (via the remote application)?

Thanks guys.

PurdueGuy
Sep 26, 2010, 08:58 PM
I doubt it. The AppleTV will be a client (destination), just as Airport Expresses are clients. iTunes (on your computer) or an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch will be the server (source).

The source can stream to any destination, but I doubt a destination will be able to resend to another destination.

If the media is on your iPod Touch, you should be able to stream it to the AppleTV.

It remains to be seen if you can stream to more than one AppleTV or Airport Express from iTunes (I only have one, so I can't test that out).

darkplanets
Sep 27, 2010, 10:06 AM
It remains to be seen if you can stream to more than one AppleTV or Airport Express from iTunes (I only have one, so I can't test that out).

For the record, you CAN have a multi-stream session out of iTunes; it really does support multiple Express stations, and you can even pick which ones you want to use both in iTunes and the remote app. If I recall correctly, AirTunes uses RAOP streaming-- there's even the AirFoil program that allows you to capture audio from other non RAOP sources and push it to your express station(s).

With that said though, I'm more interested in AirPlay and the new ATV. It was my understanding that the new AirPlay system allows the ATV to initiate the stream, meaning you don't need to have iTunes open. At least that's the impression that I get. Decode/demux is going on ATV-side (client), which is why you can stream from an external non-boot hdd (NAS, anyone?) (server). Since the ATV is doing the decode, why not have it be the server for a new RAOP stream, with the express as the client? Demux movie -> decode audio -> push out digital stream -> multi-cast RAOP? That's what I'm really curious about. It doesn't really seem far-fetched, which is why I'm wondering if it comes as an option, and to what degree its available.

As per the iPod touch, I was more referring to being about to stream from it (source) to the express (client) for plain audio, not through the ATV.