PDA

View Full Version : iPod battery life / clicker problem?

randal
Dec 23, 2004, 04:49 PM
Hello,
I've got a minor issue with my iPod (w/clickwheel).
#1 - I haven't measured it, but I'm almost certain that my iPod's battery life has gone down by quite a bit. I've had it for 3-4 months, and already it feels like I'm recharging twice as often.

#2 - This started happening after 2-3 weeks - if I don't use the iPod for couple days, when I turn it back on again, it takes a long time to start, seems like the harddrive is working hard or something, and then I notice that the clicker sound is always switched back on (I usually have it on off). It's not a big deal, of course, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if it's an indication of another problem?

Thanks

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2004, 05:01 PM
#2 - This started happening after 2-3 weeks - if I don't use the iPod for couple days, when I turn it back on again, it takes a long time to start, seems like the harddrive is working hard or something, and then I notice that the clicker sound is always switched back on (I usually have it on off). It's not a big deal, of course, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if it's an indication of another problem?

For the first part of #2, do you see an apple logo on the center of the screen when you turn it on after several days? The iPod has two sleep / off levels -- one level that it dips to immediately, and the next when the battery runs out all the way or it's been in the first sleep mode for an extended period. When this has happened, it takes longer for it to boot back up. That part is normal. I'm nost sure about the clicking sound part though -- I leave mine on.

Loge
Dec 23, 2004, 05:37 PM
For #2, I observe the same behaviour with the clicking on the 4G, but not the 3G or the iPod photo. You just have to switch it off each time.

The battery shouldn't be shortening after only a few months. You might want to time it sometime and see how many hours you get; it should be close to 12 hours on the 4G. Check it isn't just the meter that's inaccurate; happens sometimes. I find it helps to charge it for longer than until the charged icon appears. There are lots of useful battery tips at ipodlounge (http://www.ipodlounge.com).