PDA

View Full Version : How often do you upgrade your apps

maflynn
Sep 27, 2010, 07:27 AM
This got me thinking a little while ago.
I have the old version of transmit which is a very good ftp client. Panic has since released a very good feature rich upgrade to transmit. While the upgrade price is not steep, I've not taken the plunge. The old version (and even the terminal commands) seem to fulfill my needs.

Likewise, with my text editor (on the PC). I get a one year license for free upgrades, so I'm out of that window and I've yet to upgrade it.

There was a day when I'd upgrade any app that was updated and while upgrade prices aren't typically steep, I've been hesitant to spend the money lately.

Anyone else holding back on upgrades. Obviously, I'm talking about apps that are not offering free upgrades ;)

miles01110
Sep 27, 2010, 07:28 AM
Still waiting on a compelling reason to "upgrade" from 10.5.8 ...

maflynn
Sep 27, 2010, 07:31 AM
I had waited 10.6 for similar reasons. While the cost was rather small given apple's prior OSX upgrade prices, I had read of a lot of issues, so I held off for a period of time.

ucfgrad93
Sep 27, 2010, 09:03 AM
For me, a lot depends on how much the upgrade is, and if I'm still happy using what I have. I usually do not upgrade for every new product that comes out.

Mousse
Sep 27, 2010, 12:20 PM
I only upgrade if there is a "I can't live without" feature. I'm still getting by on Tiger, haven't felt the need to upgrade to Snow Leopard yet. My most used app, Photoshop CS (no 2, 3 or 4) is more than enough for my current needs.

I've had to fight for the right NOT to upgrade at work. The IT dept wanted everyone upgraded to Vista then Win7, but I fought it tooth and nail. I'm the only person at work still on XP using Office 2003.:p I had to compromise. 1) I have to use the oldest, least capable computer and 2) I have to do my own troubleshooting. Well worth it, IMO.

R94N
Sep 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
Usually I'd take a thorough look at the new features and decide if they're useful enough to me first before upgrading.

roadbloc
Sep 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
I like to upgrade as soon as possible, unless it is not possible.

No1nfoProvided
Sep 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
Features and price point are probably the only reasons why I would pay for an upgrade. I felt Snow Leopard offered enough benefits that I would pay the low price for, so I upgraded from Leopard. I thought the same from Tiger to Leopard as well (the half-off student discount made the price way more bearable). To each his/her own though.

Alaerian
Sep 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
I just upgraded to 10.6 a couple of weeks ago. I held off for quite a while, as I really had no good reason to upgrade. I just recently ran into something that I needed 10.6 for, so I figured it was as good of a time to upgrade as any.

Free upgrades I grab whenever I can, assuming there is no functionality loss or major differences. Paid upgrades are much less frequent.