PDA

View Full Version : G5 keeps freezing up....

dlane
Sep 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have a 2004 dual 2.5 G5, and just recently i'll be online and it just freezes up and completely locks my system, and the fun runs on high and the only way to stop it, is to do a hard shut down. Why is that, whats causing that?

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
Open her up and check for leaks. Also check your system profilier to make sure both CPUs are listed. A dead CPU could also be the culprit(probably also from a leak?).

Dead/faulty memory could also be the cause. Have you added any extra memory recently?

raysfan81
Sep 27, 2010, 07:03 PM
I agree with checking for leaks. That is notorius for causing freezing and high fan speeds.

VanneDC
Sep 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
+1 to checking for leaks, and while your there, whens the last time you cleaned it out with compressed o2? my heatsink grills are filthy...

dlane
Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks.... I did add memory about 2 weeks, but it hasn't been working, I just took out last night. but I put it both next available ram slots and it still wont read. Wen I added the memory I did blow it out go with a can of O2. I'll check for leaks, what would be leaking???

666sheep
Sep 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'll check for leaks, what would be leaking???

Liquid Cooling System. http://www.fusina.net/G5_coolant_leaks/gallery.php - extreme example. Your 2.5 DP was most leaking model of all liquid cooled G5. Coolant is conductive and corrosive. It damages logic board, CPU and sometimes PSU too (depending on how big leak is).

dlane
Sep 28, 2010, 11:45 AM
I just opened it up, and from what i can see, I dont see any corosion or any sign of leak. the floor of the tower in the front and again from what i can see is clean, even the little bit I can I see behind the CPU.

Now check this, I blew it out just about and hour or so ago, I forgot to put the fan back in, wen I turned it on it seemed to be running ok, but then I went to go put back it in, once i saw that I forgot it, it went back to freezing up as soon as the os x loads up. Could I have a bad or corrupted fan thats not reading properly??

Hrududu
Sep 28, 2010, 11:51 AM
Run Temperature Monitor (http://download.cnet.com/Temperature-Monitor/3000-2094_4-41089.html) and see how hot its getting. Could be a thermal sensor isn't working properly, or fan failure. If its just a sensor, it may just need re-calibrated.

666sheep
Sep 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
If you got original Install Discs, run AHT Extended test. Maybe it'll find something. Apple Service Diagnostics disc would be better for this purpose but it's hard to find in legal way.

Chuck Fadanoid
Sep 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
Does it lock up while you're working, or if you go away and leave it for a while?

When mine freezes, it's usually because some USB device (iPod Nano 5G or Bluetooth dongle) has interfered with the automatic sleep function in power settings. I get no mouse response and ramped up fans usually when this happens, sometimes a horrible clicking fan. Sometimes the nice little black message box in the centre of the screen that tells you in many languages to shut down.