Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144500-pew_tech_companies.jpg

The New York Times points to a new research report from the Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism which finds that Apple was the most-discussed technology company in mainstream media between June 2009 and June 2010, serving as the focus of over 15% of the technology articles and stories appearing in the surveyed media outlets during that time.
In the battle among the tech titans, Apple Inc. won the title in the last year for press appeal. The 34- year-old company attracted more coverage from the mainstream press than any other technology company - and the bulk of it was positive. Its popular devices and orchestrated PR strategy helped it even outpace Google Inc.

From June 2009 through June 2010, 15% percent of the technology stories focused primarily on Apple, versus 11% about Google.
Only 3% of technology articles focused on longtime Apple rival Microsoft.

When looking at individual news topics, Apple also scored well, with the iPhone being the #2 most frequent topic for news stories (6.4%) and the iPad checking in at #4 (4.6%). News about Apple CEO Steve Jobs and the App Store also clocked in on the study's radar at approximately 1.5% each. Texting while driving topped the list of discussion topics during the study period with 8.5% of the stories focusing on the issue.

144501-pew_tech_stories.jpg

The survey monitored the most highly-visible portions of 52 news outlets during the study period, including the front pages of 11 newspapers ranging from national dailies to small-town newspapers, three cable news TV channels, morning and evening news shows on three TV networks, 12 major news websites, and 10 news and talk radio programs.

Article Link: Apple Most-Covered Tech Company in Mainstream Media

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
The survey monitored the most highly-visible portions of 52 news outlets during the study period, including the front pages of 11 newspapers ranging from national dailies to small-town newspapers, three cable news TV channels, morning and evening news shows on three TV networks, 12 major news websites, and 10 news and talk radio programs
Predictably, not a single overseas news source was even consulted.

May 8, 2008

Perhaps you could point out where the article or its sources claimed to be international in scope? :confused:

I've had a look and didn't see any claimed international scope.

Unless it was assumed that 'Mainstream Media' meant 'International Media'.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

True, although they did watch the international version of BBCNews.com for part of the survey!

But ya, the Pew journalism project is pretty U.S.-focused.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
And "Fox News" is the "most-watched" "news" show. This is one of those statistics that just doesn't seem to matter much.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

do not worry, for bad or worst, most of the world is obsessed with US any way, and therefore the trend is likely to carry internationally.

Apple streams its new products all year long to avoid consumer fatigue and a perk is constant media coverage. No other company can do this with a mostly positive spin.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I always see Apple "something" in just about any news site that has a tech section. It is as if Microsoft physically closed their doors and no longer in PC computing.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Not to come off as the fan boy that I am, but good to see Microsoft's numbers so high! Yes... I'm being sarcastic! LOL!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I always see Apple "something" in just about any news site that has a tech section. It is as if Microsoft physically closed their doors and no longer in PC computing.

I guess you can only come in the "me too" position so many times before people just stop caring.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
The total percentage of Apple, Google, Twitter, Facebook, and Microsoft added up equals just 41.7. Since the next one up, CitiBank, has just 0.13% of total stories and it decreases from there, does that mean that about 58% of the remaining companies discussed individually make up less than 0.09% of the total? That would mean that for every story about Apple, Google, Twitter, Facebok, and Microsoft, there is one for a company that makes up less than 0.09% of the total. Am I reading this wrong is the math a bit off?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
this is just cause half of it is reviews of people bitching and looking to find something wrong, then im sure a good amount is just talking about a jailbreak release/app. then a ton is prob about those Verizon lies.

johnhmeyer123

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
The Most Innovative Tech Company

Or, they were covered so much because of the Antenna issue.

Ugh, of course someone just had to say that. It's simple enough, and this is not a fanboy comment:

They are covered so much, because they are the most innovative tech company in the industry. As an example, everyone thought the iPad would fail because they doubted there was any viable market for it...Now look at what every other tech company is scrambling to do...

And obviously, the most clear example is to simply remember your mobile phone was like before June 2007.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Why Would It Be Any Different?

Truth hurts...

1) Apple = Innovator worthy of news coverage
2) Google = Apple wannabe with actual products
3) MS = Apple wannabe with no products
4) All others = sorry there are no medals beyond 3rd place

Class over...dismissed. :cool:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Hey haters! Where's the m-word?

What? Microsoft apologists haven't incorrectly pulled the monopoly card yet. As in "the DOJ should sue Apple because they are using anti-competitive monopolistic practices to dominate tech and general media coverage."

OK, so maybe the MS crowd would rather not use the m-word. Fandroids? Linux freetards? Anybody?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Guess this is because of all the none-news articles like this article. Headline should rather be 'Its good for tech blogs to post anything with apple in the header, no matter how much news is in it' (ok,ok, this is MacRumors - it's supposed to be filled with all sorts of Apple related stuff, but you get the idea, not every blog or news agency that posts things like this is apple centric ... but it's still good for the click rate)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I'd bet 80% of the Apple newsfeeds were regarding Antennagate...although this survey is from June 2009-June 2010, Antennagate was basically summer of 2010. Every news source was posting "news" about Antennagate almost daily. So these numbers (besides being pointless and valueless) are quite skewed.

We might as well go back to 2007-2008 when MS Vista was launched and I'm sure MS topped this so called survey.

MR has turned into such an Apple propoganda website.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
The thought I had when looking at this is "mindshare."

Any company that can capture the mindshare of the public has won a hard to obtain prize. It cannot be bought through advertising alone, it comes from doing a whole lot of news worthy things that stay in the news long after the event.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Top tech companies? it's all about what you find important. The latest 'ah, look at me phone' or something else. I've blocked the name of the company which is the second largest company in the world by revenue.

20100927-cs8xwpnm1piqus62yig364msut.jpg

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Agree, but I'd re-word 2) to read:

2) Google = Apple wannabe with Microsoft-ish products

Where that apple search engine at? Cloud services for free? Android copied apple? so then who did apple copy for there phones, mp3, or laptops?

Apple and Google both innovate for different sectors. They both make existing products better. Stop being un-informed thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.