Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relentlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Is anyone here familiar with geektool?

If so, does anyone have a transparent template, boarder, or frame of some kind to place over wallpaper images? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for one but have not found anything.

I just think it would look better if I had some type of boarder that the geektool info can sit in and be easily visible no matter what wallpaper I choose to use.

The best I can do myself is to make flat black boarders around the screen for everything to sit in, and a small transparent square in the middle that's probably only 800x600 or so for an image to sit.

Anyway, if anyone has any or knows where to find any, let me know. Alternatively, if someone thinks it's a good idea and felt like making one for me, I'll post my resolution and other info:

-----------------------------------------------------
My desktop is 1440x900

The left side must have a boarder that is 310 pixels wide to fit most of the geektool windows inside.

The bottom must have a boarder that rises 115 pixels to fit my dock. 150 if you wanted to enclose the entire thing even at maximum magnification

The right side needs a boarder that extends 240 pixels to fit the desktoplyrics window that displays down the entire right side of the screen

I also have the date/time, but I keep it at the bottom, so I threw it in with the dock measurement. The dock alone is only 50 pixels high without magnification.

The top doesn't have anything, but you can throw in a small boarder if it balances it out at all.

-------------------------------------------------

The end result would be a frame of some sort with geektool scripts and other things around it, and a transparent center to add any desktop image to.

TheMacGuru

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
One year later...

So you posted that exactly one year ago and no reply. Now that GeekTool is in the mac app store, you'd think more people would get into it. I know absolutely nothing about it other than it looks awesome. Guess i'll have to learn it then.

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Simple solution

Is anyone here familiar with geektool?

If so, does anyone have a transparent template, boarder, or frame of some kind to place over wallpaper images? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for one but have not found anything.

I have a really simple solution for you. In Geektools simply add another "script" geeklet to the desktop that is set to 50% transparent but with no script in it. You might need a few based on the shapes you want but simple.

Would be interest to see the desktop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.