Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Scenario: I bought a refurbed mac Sawtooth (AGP graphics G4) that I've upgraded quite a bit (installed Sonnet CPU upgrade, more RAM, new gfx card to enable Quartz Extreme as the Rage 128 doesn't support it) almost strictly for work. It's now a G4 1Ghz with 512MB RAM, Radeon 8500, new 120GB hard drive, and new burner. It's running OS X 10.3.7. Now here's what I think I still need:

a new sound card. I need something that'll support a Line-In connection, first and foremost. I've been eyeing the M-Audio Revolution card, but have a couple of questions: First of all, is there something better at a comparable price? In the PC world (my homeland), the only fault in this card is the fact that the 3D positional audio is software-driven, not much hardware assistance. No big deal; I'm not playing games. Looks like my best bet. Also, are there separate Mac and PC versions of the card? I know that ATi and nVidia have special ROMs for their video cards, but I don't know about sound cards or other add-in cards.

a new MIDI interface. My Yamaha UX-16 (USB to MIDI converter)...well...sucks because Yamaha's drivers haven't been updated since OS X 10.1.x and the ones I downloaded cause the device to be detected by OS X, but when I test it, MIDI-out doesn't work and MIDI-in has a steady stream if incoming messages even though I'm not pressing any keys on my keyboard (a Yamaha PSR-290). Some Googling led me to believe that this is a common problem and Yamaha's customers in the Mac world are unamused. In this case, I'm eyeing the Edirol UM-1, which seems to fit my needs perfectly, but I need to know if the drivers are stable, usable, and compatible with OS X 10.3.x.

Thanks in advance!

derFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
wow. That audiophile is awesome, and not really THAT much more than a separate Revolution 7.1 and MIDI interface. So there's not really separate Mac and PC versions? That's what it appears to be on the link.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I had a 2496 in my old G4 - it is a really good card and very well priced...hard to beat the bang for your buck on that one...oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.