PDA

View Full Version : Apple Updates Remote App with iPad and Retina Display Support

MacRumors
Sep 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/28/apple-updates-remote-app-with-ipad-and-retina-display-support/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/09/28/103831-mzl.rvjwbcws.480x480-75.jpg

As predicted (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/28/new-apple-tv-reviewed-revamped-remote-app-for-ios-coming/), Apple has updated their Remote app (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/remote) that allows iOS users to control iTunes and their Apple TV from their devices. The app hadn't been updated for nearly a year, but has finally received a 2.0 update that brings support for the iPad, Retina display and new Apple TV. New features listed include:- Designed for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
- Optimized for Retina displays and large screen real estate on iPad
- Support for Shared Libraries on iTunes and new Apple TV
- Bug fixes and compatibility with iTunes 10 and the new Apple TVThe new Apple TV has begun shipping already and should arrive in customer's hands later this week.

Article Link: Apple Updates Remote App with iPad and Retina Display Support (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/28/apple-updates-remote-app-with-ipad-and-retina-display-support/)

TitoC
Sep 28, 2010, 09:43 AM
Finally a 2.0 upgrade! Will check it out and see how it pans out.

EDIT:
Hmmm. Update not showing up, but yet the new updated remote app (along with the ugly iTunes icon) shows up in the iTunes store.

WiiDSmoker
Sep 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
Yep. I just downloaded it. Can't test it out until I get home though

Full of Win
Sep 28, 2010, 09:47 AM
Bravo, almost 10 months since the iPad was announced and this is finally upgraded. :rolleyes:

This is a textbook example of how not to do something.

mainstreetmark
Sep 28, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'd be happy just to have my Remote.app working again. It hasn't worked since iTunes 10.0.0

oahazmatt
Sep 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
The big thing for me, does it have a full-screen option for iTunes? That's been bugging the hell out of me.

Andrew K.
Sep 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
That's one big a$$ remote. Nicely done. I bet only one guy made this remote app too.

jlasoon
Sep 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
iPad version is a carbon copy of iTunes. I like :)

whoami
Sep 28, 2010, 09:50 AM
hell yes!!! :D

kevingaffney
Sep 28, 2010, 09:51 AM
Thank God at last. Spent a fortune buying rubbishy ones for the iPad

GeekLawyer
Sep 28, 2010, 09:51 AM
Very, very nice. Especially on my iPad. Wow!

CanadianMac2008
Sep 28, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'm getting some very weird stuff going on with the app. First I couldn't find it in the store, now it shows up both on my Mac and on my iPhone but when I download it, it shows the new icon, but then changes to the old one. Tried a hard reset and it's still giving me the old app, despite it saying I'm downloading the new version and showing the new icon when it installs. Oh and no updates for the app show. Weird.

Newsinker
Sep 28, 2010, 09:52 AM
Just to clarify... this update is for the iPad only from what I can tell... Still have 1.3.3 on my iPhone.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thank God at last. Spent a fortune buying rubbishy ones for the iPad

I almost caved in last week, glad I held out.

ImNoSuperMan
Sep 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
Just to clarify... this update is for the iPad only from what I can tell... Still have 1.3.3 on my iPhone.

Some times it takes time before it shows up as an update in iTunes. Just re download it and you'll get the update too :)

WiiDSmoker

For me it didn't show up as an update, but if you search for it it will update it

tac22
Ugh, it still downloading the old app. On iPhone iPad and Mac...

I can't wait anylonger

goobot
Sep 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
The Icon.... It is so pretty

CanadianMac2008
Nvm. Tried yet again in iTunes and it finally worked after syncing. Very weird.

GeekLawyer
For me it didn't show up as an update, but if you search for it it will update itOr use this link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

bertieuk
Sep 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
Ah, but can you stream from your computer iTunes library to your iPod/iPhone in a dock?

Biggest missing feature.

AppEzzy
Sep 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
Nice. Good to finally see an update.

davidChief
Sep 28, 2010, 10:01 AM
Working very nicely on my iPhone 4 and iPad. Great update.

innominato5090
Sep 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
multasking support... finally!!

darrenbeige
Sep 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
Please be aware, you will still need iOS4.2 to do AirPlay from any other app.

Jefe
Sep 28, 2010, 10:06 AM
Does it control the existing (old) Apple TV? The description only mentions "new" apple TV.

Defender2010
Very, very nice. Especially on my iPad. Wow!

NOW, please update the Gallery app an all us iPad owners will be completely happy!

blinkin182
Some times it takes time before it shows up as an update in iTunes. Just re download it and you'll get the update too :)

That's what I did when it didn't show up in updates... Seems to be working. Still downloading... network slow here :(

rwilliams
Sep 28, 2010, 10:07 AM
At last!

ghostface147
Sep 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Excellent, although I had to manually search for it to update. Odd.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Maybe now Apple can work on their same name, similarly left in discard for the last 18 months, Remote (for Keynote) app? Some ability to draw attention to certain things on a slide without bringing a separate laser pointer would be nice.

WiiDSmoker
Sep 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thank Flying Spaghetti Monster at last. Spent a fortune buying rubbishy ones for the iPad

fixed

Graeme43
Sep 28, 2010, 10:15 AM
Loving iPad version :D its now I can hold iTunes :D

oscarmacca
Sep 28, 2010, 10:16 AM
WOW! I never knew anything about this App.

Works flawlessly in iTunes 10.0.1 & SL 10.6.4

Thanks Apple!

4mat
Sep 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
File size almost 10x larger, Look forward to many enhancements.

newagemac
Sep 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Wow the iTunes Home Sharing support is really nice! It automatically finds any iTunes Library set up with Home Sharing. No input needed on the computer itself. If you have several in your house, they all show up. I always wondered why they only allowed you to use one Apple ID to set up Home Sharing. Now I see why.

Plus apparently you can set up Home Sharing on the new Apple TV. I can't wait until mine arrives. It's going to be great! Complete integration of all my content on all my devices and all my screens whenever I want. Nice Apple.

Brinkman
Sep 28, 2010, 10:25 AM
Oh man I really like the Genius mix icon at the bottom. Wish it would be the same for the iPod app. Maybe in the next update?

Also, a side note: I wish the iPod app could group by album artist like in iTunes. It prevents 10000 artiest from showing up when I have soundtracks synced. They have the feature in iTunes just not in the iPod app.

HERO XXL
Sep 28, 2010, 10:26 AM
More clarification needed: let's say you're NOT at home, but you have your iPhone and iPad in tow. Both have the new app. Could I use my iPad to access what's on my iPhone (or vice versa)? If my office has it's own setup iPhone, speakers, etc. Could I utilize my iPad to switch music, etc.?

LanceHardwood
Sep 28, 2010, 10:38 AM
Finally, great news! Can't wait to try the iPad version!

Also, a side note: I wish the iPod app could group by album artist like in iTunes. It prevents 10000 artiest from showing up when I have soundtracks synced. They have the feature in iTunes just not in the iPod app.
Me too! I use the composer view on the iPod, I works like the artist view in iTunes.

Jefe
Sep 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
Oh man I really like the Genius mix icon at the bottom. Wish it would be the same for the iPod app. Maybe in the next update?

The ipod app has always had the Genius mix icon at the bottom.

iphone1105
Sep 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
More clarification needed: let's say you're NOT at home, but you have your iPhone and iPad in tow. Both have the new app. Could I use my iPad to access what's on my iPhone (or vice versa)? If my office has it's own setup iPhone, speakers, etc. Could I utilize my iPad to switch music, etc.?

no

phillipjfry
Sep 28, 2010, 10:42 AM
if you have lyrics in the info of the song, does it display it on the remote app?
someone gets home before i do, can you post it?

giosaccone
Sep 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
Finally!! Very cool! ;)

ToM7
Sep 28, 2010, 10:45 AM
& my favorite app ever one of the best apps i think :D

Restyler
Sep 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hard to believe you can control almost every aspect of appleTV but not photos. No way to browse photos form Remote, or select and start slideshows. Seems like a glaring omission to me.

hamis92
Sep 28, 2010, 10:52 AM
On iPhone, display all songs. What the **** has happened to the nice alphabet scrolling? Now what we have is basically just a dumb scrollbar.

Well, everything's okay as long as they don't bring this questionable "feature" into the iPod app.

undaunted
Sep 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
Nice refresh but I wish they would add local device as a speaker option (to play it on my iPhone or iPad)...

brianus
Sep 28, 2010, 10:58 AM
Does it control the existing (old) Apple TV? The description only mentions "new" apple TV.

Seconded -- is there support for the original Apple TV or has Apple dropped it? And if there is support, is it crippled in any way?

cube
Sep 28, 2010, 10:59 AM
Can you control AirTunes on the old AppleTV ?

antrabbit
Sep 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
On iPhone, display all songs. What the **** has happened to the nice alphabet scrolling? Now what we have is basically just a dumb scrollbar.

Works lovely on my ipod touch 1st generation with iOS 3.1.3 although I did have this problem. I worked out it doesn't like names starting with symbols like !!! so you'll have to to get info on those and change the "sort artist" or "sort track" name to a letter or number then alphabet scrolling works again. A bug and a pain but there's a work around.

skeep5
Sep 28, 2010, 11:01 AM
reeeeaaallll nice

Brinkman
Sep 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
The ipod app has always had the Genius mix icon at the bottom.

I know but it's a different icon. Remote has the mixes icon for genius. I like that better.

kevingaffney
Sep 28, 2010, 11:05 AM
if you have lyrics in the info of the song, does it display it on the remote app?
Not on iPhone anyway. I've checked. Pity, I was hoping for this too

cube
Sep 28, 2010, 11:06 AM

Well, I don't see it.

newagemac
Sep 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hard to believe you can control almost every aspect of appleTV but not photos. No way to browse photos form Remote, or select and start slideshows. Seems like a glaring omission to me.

You can do that. It's part of the new Airplay feature but that part won't be released until iOS 4.2 in November along with Video support.

KDR
Sep 28, 2010, 11:07 AM
Apple finally updated the remote App for the iPhone 4 and the iPad. I downloaded it for each and gave it a quick test. The App for the iPad looks great. Totally different than the iPhone - it almost looks like iTunes on the computer. The iPhone version looks good too. Picking Airplay (Airtunes) speakers is easier and you can control the volume of each separately.

This App and distributed audio have been a great feature for some time that most people were unaware of. I have a feeling that it's set to take off now. I have 5 sets of speakers running on it and it's amazing. Friends and family are blown away that I can call up a song from my phone at any part of the house or outdoors.

Obviously it works on the Apple TV, which in my opinion is the only remote to use. It makes the included remote seem useless unless you don't have an iPhone or iPad or can't find them.

chrisfromalbany
Sep 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
Did anyone else have the issue that if you fast forward alot of change the location of where the song was playing that sometimes it would lock up your computer and basically force reboot it. It seemed like one release did that alot then got alittle better but still from time to time with the last version if I skipped around in the songs it would do it. It seems to behave better when I locked in iRemote app (you see icon on top right corner of your iphone) but then that cost battery life.

newagemac
Sep 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
Just tried the updated Remote app on the iphone. Niiiiice.

The Home Sharing feature is now included and there are seperate volume controls for each zone you have set up with computers, Airport Expresses, or Apple TVs. Will be perfect for controlling the new Apple TV. My next home party is gonna be off da hook!

jaykk
Sep 28, 2010, 11:15 AM

I see my AppleTV as one of the option, and I could play music from my mac itunes library to Apple TV via iPad remote app.

cube
Sep 28, 2010, 11:19 AM
I see my AppleTV as one of the option, and I could play music from my mac itunes library to Apple TV via iPad remote app.

I want to control where the AppleTV sends AirTunes to.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 28, 2010, 11:20 AM
Woo Hoo!

I can control the volume of my (old) Apple TV from the remote. I can also make the sound come out of my Apple TV and my iMac at the same time, this is fantastic. This is all streaming from my library on the iMac.

Sedulous
Sep 28, 2010, 11:22 AM
Wow, the iPad remote update is much, much better.

EvilC5
Sep 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
I may have missed the memo, but do I need to upgrade to itunes 10 and ios 4 for the new app to get all of the features like independent volume control?

and if after 4.2 comes out, can I steam from my itunes library to my touch or iphone?

either way, I cant wait to get home to download the new app....

anthonymoody
Sep 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
The Home Sharing feature is now included and there are seperate volume controls for each zone you have set up with computers, Airport Expresses, or Apple TVs.

That's what the picture shows in the post here, but that's not how it is in my app. I have three separate speakers to choose from (including the Mac itself) and they all share a single volume control. That said, I am running 3.2 on my iPad not 4.2 so perhaps that's why.

EDIT: interestingly (?) on the mac itself there are separate volumes for each of the 3 sets of speakers. Hmm...

purrdee
Sep 28, 2010, 11:30 AM

Nope still no lyrics in remote app.

nhets
Sep 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
So I have my iTunes library on a network attached storage (Ready NAS Duo). With the update will I be able to stream directly from the NAS to the iPad, and then to remote speakers via Airport Express, or do I still have a Mac turned on running iTunes in the loop?

kavika411
Sep 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but please don't flame me.

What is the relationship between an application like Remote and Retina Display Support. My novice understanding of Retina Display is that images - to put it simply - look really good and high res. The Remote app simply serves as a remote control, so what would be the excitement over Remote having Retina Display Support.

I guess I'm overlooking something. Thanks.

EHOLT
Sep 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
No multitasking or coverflow? C'mon Apple, step it up.

dissdnt
Sep 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
No multitasking or coverflow? C'mon Apple, step it up.

Multitasking works on both iPhone and iPad.

Works with older AppleTV but just like previous remote app where you can control streaming audio from other devices. No airplay from handheld devices to those systems.

Mistrblank
Sep 28, 2010, 11:48 AM
I want to control where the AppleTV sends AirTunes to.

Edit, read you wrong. I'd like to know too since my inlaws still have the old AppleTV.

Also this does bring to mind though, is there better support in the remote app for switching between libraries and devices? The old was horribly slow dropping out of a library and connecting to another.

iSee
Sep 28, 2010, 11:51 AM
[As predicted (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/28/new-apple-tv-reviewed-revamped-remote-app-for-ios-coming/)...

You mean predicted in an article from about 10 minutes ago? Nice one Nostradamus!

boston04and07
Sep 28, 2010, 11:53 AM
Is there a way to see TV episode or movie descriptions now? Something that always bugged me about the old version was the inability to see those. I never remember episode titles, so I always go by the descriptions.

pdpfilms
Sep 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
That's what the picture shows in the post here, but that's not how it is in my app. I have three separate speakers to choose from (including the Mac itself) and they all share a single volume control. That said, I am running 3.2 on my iPad not 4.2 so perhaps that's why.

EDIT: interestingly (?) on the mac itself there are separate volumes for each of the 3 sets of speakers. Hmm...

Update your iTunes and restart the apps.

mrklaw
Sep 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
I have a mac mini attached to my receiver. What do I need to run on that to be able to play music through the receiver without needing the TV on? Do I need to be running itunes in the background constantly? I have it pretty cut down for running plex, don't want it using up memory/CPU running itunes all the time.

Stuipdboy1000
Sep 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but please don't flame me.

What is the relationship between an application like Remote and Retina Display Support. My novice understanding of Retina Display is that images - to put it simply - look really good and high res. The Remote app simply serves as a remote control, so what would be the excitement over Remote having Retina Display Support.

I guess I'm overlooking something. Thanks.

It's just so that things look clearer on the screen and aren't pixelated such as the app icon and interface items in the app itself.

On another note, I think the only other Apple app that has yet to be updated to support the Retina Display is Keynote Remote. Hopefully that's coming with the next iWork (which is hopefully coming soon too).

jaw04005
Sep 28, 2010, 12:14 PM
Wow this is surprisingly awesome. I do want local speaker support too. Hopefully, “home sharing” comes to the iPad’s iPod.app soon.

mszpara
Sep 28, 2010, 12:16 PM
i'd love to be able to work Apple Remote the other way, if i'm at my computer I wanna change tracks on my docked iphone ...

PurdueGuy
Sep 28, 2010, 12:18 PM

This is an iTunes Remote. Not an iPhoto Remote.

This doesn't allow you to browse Netflix, etc. from the iPhone either.

irun5k
Sep 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately, it still does not allow you to control the other features of the Apple TV. For example, you can't use the remote to type, or to navigate the menus, etc. Searching for a youtube video by typing is painful on AppleTV... would be nice to use the iPad as a remote for functions like this.

In fact, the new release seems less functional in some ways. I recall the old remote app allowing touch gestures that would be transmitted to the Apple TV for navigation.

They did a nice job on the interface and allowing to to control movie and song selection and playback. Too bad they stopped there.

Jelite
Sep 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
How do i control everything together, do i need 10.0.1?

trip1ex
Sep 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, it still does not allow you to control the other features of the Apple TV. For example, you can't use the remote to type, or to navigate the menus, etc. Searching for a youtube video by typing is painful on AppleTV... would be nice to use the iPad as a remote for functions like this.

In fact, the new release seems less functional in some ways. I recall the old remote app allowing touch gestures that would be transmitted to the Apple TV for navigation.

They did a nice job on the interface and allowing to to control movie and song selection and playback. Too bad they stopped there.

That sucks. A big plus of this would be using it to type in order to search for a piece of content.

Trooperof3
Sep 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
damn retina making some of my low-res artwork look bad. lol.

Quite possibly the coolest thing on the ipad is the ability to create new playlists.

jcmc
Sep 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
Someone hinted at something to do with Video support in 4.2 so this might answer the point I am about to make.

The iPad update is very nice, especially cosmetically. With all my Movies and TV Shows listed just as they are on my main iTunes I suppose I was naive in thinking that this update might replicate the functionality of Air Video and let you play video on your iPad at the same time as triggering it on your Mac.

What is the point of it otherwise? Being in your dining room with your iPad and calling up music to play there makes perfect sense, what use is it to be in your dining room and call up an episode of Mad Men on your iPad when you have to be at your monitor or TV + Apple TV to actually watch it? You can do this just as readily using your mouse and Mac iTunes, or your Apple TV remote.

newagemac
Sep 28, 2010, 12:52 PM

That is completely false information. Even before the update the Remote app allowed you to type in searches on the Apple TV from your iPhone and navigate the menus of the Apple TV. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.

sswanky
Sep 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have a mac mini attached to my receiver. What do I need to run on that to be able to play music through the receiver without needing the TV on? Do I need to be running itunes in the background constantly? I have it pretty cut down for running plex, don't want it using up memory/CPU running itunes all the time.

If I understand your set up correctly, yes, you have to have iTunes running in order to play music from your music library. Assuming you have iPhone/touch/iPad, you can control the music remotely and not have your TV on. That's what I do now w/(old) AppleTV.

mattwolfmatt
Sep 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
Ugh, some of my album artwork looks horrible on the ipad. It was "good enough" for the Mac and iPhone. Now it's very grainy.

Anyone know of places to get high quality cover art of CD's?

Sorry - should've googled first. http://www.albumartexchange.com/

spimp31
Sep 28, 2010, 01:09 PM
There are some serious flaws that should have kept this from being released. The iPad version looks great, very similar to the iPod on the iPad. However, the functionality to AirTunes speakers from your mac library is very buggy. It will play from your iPad to your apple tv, yet when you look at your mac the song scrubber is not moving at all. Repeatedly, I've found big differences and sometimes it will not play properly to the AirPlay speakers at all. Not the case with the iPhone version.

The BIGGEST issue is that if you have a large catalog for an artist (for me, I tried the Beatles, Phish, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, and Miles Davis), it will not load the songs at all. You see the album titles listed, with blank space beneath, but no songs. It seems this is for all artists that have over 1,000 songs. I have a LOT of these in my library, so it really makes the iPad remote useless when I can't play a single song from numerous artists.

Who knows how long this will take to get fixed, but I doubt it will be very timely given their poor track record with this app :(

/dev/toaster
Sep 28, 2010, 01:17 PM
I fscking love Kylie!

TitoC
Sep 28, 2010, 01:21 PM

I agree. I was thinking the same way. Apparently, it reads the way you have your iTunes currently viewing set up. For instance, if you have selected "Album by Artist" as your viewing selection within your desktop iTunes app, it will display songs out of alphabetical order, but instead by "Album by Artist." To view a true alphabetical listing of your songs, you first have to select the "Music" main tab on the left, then the view by "Name" tab within the iTunes app on your desktop. Now your songs should show up alphabetically. This, I agree, should be fixed.

pmz
Sep 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
Finally. Yay!

irun5k
Sep 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
That is completely false information. Even before the update the Remote app allowed you to type in searches on the Apple TV from your iPhone and navigate the menus of the Apple TV. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.

Personal experience, with 1.0 and 2.0. It sounds like I've missed something obvious though :) I recall other forum posts complaining about the inability to do this when the remote app first came out. Was the ability to use the iPhone as a remote keyboard for the Apple TV added after the initial 1.0 release?

I also don't see the feature in 2.0 at all. All I see are iTunes library type functions.

I'd appreciate some help on where to find the features, and sorry- didn't mean to spread false info.

Cydonia
Sep 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
I have 2 AE stations, i can't control the volume to each box separately any ideas why? Running on 1st gen iPhone 3.1.3 - is this a 4.x feature?

Cheers.

Green™
Sep 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
Bravo, almost 10 months since the iPad was announced and this is finally upgraded. :rolleyes:

This is a textbook example of how not to do something.

Wah wah wah. Cry me a river white man.

H. Flower
Sep 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
white man?

lol.....where did that come from?

lianlua
Sep 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
Personal experience, with 1.0 and 2.0. It sounds like I've missed something obvious though :)
The remote app has keyboard and gesture control more than two years.

I also don't see the feature in 2.0 at all. All I see are iTunes library type functions.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8#

Gesture control and QWERTY keyboard.

RalfTheDog
Sep 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
They are missing the most important feature. This needs to work by VPN from off your network. How else can you mess with the cat when you are in a different city?

drewc1138
Sep 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'm not at home and can't test it out, but it seems like from a lot of these comments, people are saying that the iPad version does not have gesture controls or the QWERTY keyboard.

Is this true? If so, as pretty as it may look, I'll hold off on the update.

HXGuy
Sep 28, 2010, 02:31 PM

What are you talking about? Unless the new Remote app has removed the features, you can in fact use the app to control the Apple TV including navigating menus and searching YouTube via the pop up on screen QWERTY keyboard. You can also navigate to see your photos or search for movies to rent etc.

RalfTheDog
Sep 28, 2010, 02:36 PM

Click on the controller icon at the bottom.

PygmySurfer
Sep 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
Still appears that it doesn't support Front Row on Macs. :(

Jelite
Sep 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
Woo Hoo!

I can control the volume of my (old) Apple TV from the remote. I can also make the sound come out of my Apple TV and my iMac at the same time, this is fantastic. This is all streaming from my library on the iMac.

How does this work? Can i do it with a mac mini, macbook and laptop?

abhimat.gautam
Sep 28, 2010, 03:23 PM
This is great. Now just need a retina display update to the Keynote remote.

ManWithAPlan
Sep 28, 2010, 03:36 PM
I've got the new Remote app and I can get it to connect to iTunes on my Mac Pro, but only for acting as a "remote" to play the tunes on the Mac Pro. I thought one of the new features was going to be the ability to stream the content in a shared iTunes library for listening *on* the iPad/phone, not just on the Mac connected speakers. I understand I can also control my AppleTV with similar remote functionality, but again, I want to stream my massive iTunes library that sits on the Mac Pro *to* the iPad when I'm on the local network here at home. No workie??? No ticky no laundry?

Please inform. Thanks.

Tha Professor
Sep 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
Does this version of Remote show libraries shared through a Firefly server on my NAS or only the Home sharing? Can someone please post this as the new version or remote needs the latest 3.1.2 firmware on my 2g, which I don't have and I consider doing the upgrade just because of this app... Thanks!

Tha Professor
Sep 28, 2010, 03:46 PM
I've got the new Remote app and I can get it to connect to iTunes on my Mac Pro, but only for acting as a "remote" to play the tunes on the Mac Pro. I thought one of the new features was going to be the ability to stream the content in a shared iTunes library for listening *on* the iPad/phone, not just on the Mac connected speakers. I understand I can also control my AppleTV with similar remote functionality, but again, I want to stream my massive iTunes library that sits on the Mac Pro *to* the iPad when I'm on the local network here at home. No workie??? No ticky no laundry?

Please inform. Thanks.

It is still just a Remote, so it only controls your iTunes on your computer, no streaming is involved whatsoever. The plus side of the remote for most users is the ability to turn on/off AirPlay (AirTunes), which makes it handy with multiple sound sources around the house (no need really for remote, when listening from your computer desk....)

anjonjp
Sep 28, 2010, 03:54 PM
NOW, please update the Gallery app an all us iPad owners will be completely happy!

Nearly right - would like to see the Keynote remote app updated before I am completely happy. :D

Remote app is very nice however. :apple::apple:!!!

REBELinBLUE
Sep 28, 2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone else noticed this. After connecting the remote this folder appears

http://www.rebelinblue.com/skitch/iTunes-20100928-215733.png

but when you expand it this happens

http://www.rebelinblue.com/skitch/iTunes-20100928-215819.png

Also when controlling the (old) :apple: TV the movies/TV shows only show items actually on the :apple: TV even if you have it synced to show everything from your iTunes library :( I'm sure it use to show everything before

CristobalHuet
Sep 28, 2010, 04:15 PM
Man the new interface (iPad) is a work of art, bravo bravo! Like a hybrid of iTunes and the iPod app! :D

bennifer3000
Sep 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
Yay. They just need to update the Keynote remote app now! :)

tkermit
Sep 28, 2010, 04:24 PM

Yes, I found that a bit weird as well.

Other than that, the app is pretty awesome - looks even better than the iPad's iPod app. And it supports folders. I wish there was an option though to choose between different view modes, especially grid view, for individual playlists. It doesn't make any sense for me to try to navigate playlists that e.g. contain all of my classical or all of my jazz music, in list view.

Another thing I've noticed - the pinch and unpinch gestures that can be used in the regular iPod app for enlarging the artwork of the song that is playing, thereby entering the 'now playing' mode, and respectively shrinking the artwork and getting back to the main screen, have been left out as well.

Now all we need is the option to stream content to the iPad.

CrAkD
Sep 28, 2010, 04:29 PM
does anyone know how to setup home sharing? Cause I had to manually add both my computer library and my apple tv library by entering the pw. i have sharing on in prefs but the remote app wont find it on its own. also cant wait for air play cause its rather silly to be able to play music and use both my computer speakers and my surround sound speakers but when you select video on the computer you cant choose to play it on the atv.

devianter
Sep 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
tkermit
Plex+Plex iOs

Anyway, i can't get my ipad connected to the itunes. It asks for the password and "verifying" it forever... Continuing to use plex.

mdelvecchio
Sep 28, 2010, 04:38 PM

yeah, i have itunes running all the time in order to use Remote. old version, anyway.

regarding plex -- i close Plex on my receiver's Mini whenever im done watching, because ive noticed Plex causes the mini's fan to blow loudly whenever its resting on the menu screens. does yours do this? im running the Alaska skin so i gotta test w/ the yucky default one.

thanks

devianter
Sep 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
yeah, i have itunes running all the time in order to use Remote. old version, anyway.

regarding plex -- i close Plex on my receiver's Mini whenever im done watching, because ive noticed Plex causes the mini's fan to blow loudly whenever its resting on the menu screens. does yours do this? im running the Alaska skin so i gotta test w/ the yucky default one.

thanks

Plex is using only 5-10% of cpu on my mac mini while in menu. So nope, it isn't normal.I'm on default screen.

tkermit
Sep 28, 2010, 04:57 PM
A very subtle but delightful detail in this vs. the regular iPod app:

When you're in grid view and rotate the iPad, the album covers themselves rotate while smoothly sliding to their new position.

The regular iPod app uses an additional fade transition, instead of moving individual album covers.

The remote app for some reason also reacts much quicker to the rotation.

EDIT: Alas, rotating the iPad appears to totally screw up your location within the album view, unless you're at the very top - anyone else noticing this? A little buggy it seems.

devianter
Sep 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
OK i figured out what's the problem. my ipad connects to the Internet thru the router which is connected to another router by LAN ( [Router with Internet>LAN to dlink router>Wifi to iPad].That is because iPad can't remember the wifi pass of the main router, so i attached the old dlink i had in garage by LAN to the main router and ALL works great. Except the remote.app) Why is that ? ..

KDR
Sep 28, 2010, 05:10 PM
This is a great lesson in marketing and promotion. Airtunes and the old remote have been around for a while doing much of what Airplay is touted to do (ok, minus the video and streaming from IOS). Add a little marketing and promotion and whammo, people are finally discovering what they've had the ability to do for a long time.

I'm just glad they finally upated the App.

Burning Radio
Sep 28, 2010, 05:12 PM
I fscking love Kylie!

Me too! GREAT choice of music Apple! ;)

This looks really nice! Too bad I don't have an iPhone. :o I don't wanna give up my Verizon coverage/speed.

FreeState
Sep 28, 2010, 05:30 PM
does anyone know how to setup home sharing? Cause I had to manually add both my computer library and my apple tv library by entering the pw. i have sharing on in prefs but the remote app wont find it on its own. also cant wait for air play cause its rather silly to be able to play music and use both my computer speakers and my surround sound speakers but when you select video on the computer you cant choose to play it on the atv.

Heres a step by step tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-Home-Sharing-in-iTunes

BoulderBum
Sep 28, 2010, 05:32 PM
Does the remote seem to connect faster than in used to? I seem to notice that. I'm anxious to see if the cover art load times improve with gen 1 Apple TV.

evands
Sep 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
Still appears that it doesn't support Front Row on Macs. :(
Remote.app is awesome for controlling iTunes, though it still has some flaws even in 2.0 (iTunes can't be launched if it's not already running, can't activate your visualizer). To control Front Row as well as other apps, I humbly suggest you check out my app Rowmote (http://rowmote.com) as well. :)

CBJammin103
Sep 28, 2010, 06:30 PM
If I have an iMac in one room connected to speakers and a Macbook in another room connected to a different set of speakers, is there a way to treat one as though it were an AirPlay enabled set of speakers?

Basically, why can't I use the Remote app to play music on the iMac and also use Home Sharing to make the Macbook's speakers play the same thing simultaneously? Or can I and am I missing something? I don't have multiple devices listed in my Remote app on my iPhone anywhere, and I don't have the little icon for AirTunes [edit: AirPLAY] anywhere.

Jelite
Sep 28, 2010, 06:38 PM
If I have an iMac in one room connected to speakers and a Macbook in another room connected to a different set of speakers, is there a way to treat one as though it were an AirPlay enabled set of speakers?

Basically, why can't I use the Remote app to play music on the iMac and also use Home Sharing to make the Macbook's speakers play the same thing simultaneously? Or can I and am I missing something? I don't have multiple devices listed in my Remote app on my iPhone anywhere, and I don't have the little icon for AirTunes anywhere.

I've asked this and would like to know as well.

KDR
Sep 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
I've asked this and would like to know as well.

I don't think this is possible. Check your preferences to see if there is an option to enable your computer as an Airplay speaker. If it's not there it can't be done (at least not currently).

Illuminated
Sep 28, 2010, 07:21 PM
Never knew about this app before.

This is to fricken cool.

spimp31
Sep 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
I don't think this is possible. Check your preferences to see if there is an option to enable your computer as an Airplay speaker. If it's not there it can't be done (at least not currently).

Supposedly 10.1 beta is bringing this functionality, so I should be able to answer this for you shortly.

Again, my only real complaint here is that the app doesn't handle an artist who has 1,000+ songs associated with them. It simply shows the album names and none of the songs for the albums, making it impossible to use properly.

http://web.me.com/spimp31/ipadremoteerror.png

tbrads
Sep 28, 2010, 07:36 PM
Supposedly 10.1 beta is bringing this functionality, so I should be able to answer this for you shortly.

Again, my only real complaint here is that the app doesn't handle an artist who has 1,000+ songs associated with them. It simply shows the album names and none of the songs for the albums, making it impossible to use properly.

http://web.me.com/spimp31/ipadremoteerror.png

Yours just isn't loading. Mine (30+ Beatle albums, for example) shows the album name, cover art (up in left corner) and each song name.

What I don't like (or haven't figured out here on Day one) is that the iPad app seems to insist on album/artist view when picking artists, and i want list view. For example, The Beatles. I have like 30 Beatle albums and was hoping i could have an album list view like on the earlier remote app, then I'll pick songs. instead I have to scroll through 29 albums (and their covers and songs) to get to the last album. What am I doing wrong? The view I take on iTunes doesn't seem to matter, and I find no real setup options. Thanks

japanime
Sep 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
It's tiny enhancements like these one that make my iPad feel brand-new all over again. Thank you, Apple!

moderately
Sep 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
tkermit
Plex+Plex iOs

Anyway, i can't get my ipad connected to the itunes. It asks for the password and "verifying" it forever... Continuing to use plex.

This could be simular to the problem I had initially connecting my 4g Touch to my library. Kept typing the code, verifying forever, back out, try again with a new code, back to verifying until a time out or somesuch....

What finally worked was immediately after putting in the 4 digit code I hit "enter". Who would have thought? Something about the way the digits went in led me to believe that "verifying" meant verifying and not "waiting for you to hit 'enter' before verifying".

deviant
Sep 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
This could be simular to the problem I had initially connecting my 4g Touch to my library. Kept typing the code, verifying forever, back out, try again with a new code, back to verifying until a time out or somesuch....

What finally worked was immediately after putting in the 4 digit code I hit "enter". Who would have thought? Something about the way the digits went in led me to believe that "verifying" meant verifying and not "waiting for you to hit 'enter' before verifying".

Well all this stuff made me think about why the ipad wasn't able to remember the wifi pass and i figured that out, so now it's connecting just fine. trying to figure out if it's possible to play the same thing on 2 different macs (mini + home theatre and imac+hifi)

update - it's not possible.

Jelite
Sep 28, 2010, 09:38 PM

It would be awesome if it did, but then it would suck if it didn't as we already have all the capable components.

jk1002
Sep 28, 2010, 09:41 PM
>>Does the remote seem to connect faster than in used to? I seem to notice that. I'm anxious to see if the cover art load times improve with gen 1 Apple TV.<<

For me navigation in the album view is a bit sluggish. I have 300 albums in my library.

Also, the cover art doesn't look sharp in the "Albums" view, not even for the songs that I purchased on itunes. It doesn't seem to load the entire coverart image, it looks nice & crisp thugh if I display it for the song currently playing.

I am using ATV generation 1. For music, that thing is golden right now ......

palmerc2
Sep 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
Finally! Its crazy how long it took. Even game developers have updated their apps to work with the retina display which I'm sure took a LOT more work than this. I'm amazed they didn't have this ready for the iPhone 4 launch date.

Oh well, on the bright side my main home screen is now complete and all the icons are sharp!

Downloaded apps on main screen: hipstamatic, facebook, pandora and remote

CrAkD
Sep 28, 2010, 11:14 PM
is there anyway to activate home sharing on an old apple tv?

jaw04005
Sep 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
Yay. They just need to update the Keynote remote app now! :)

I bet it comes with the next version of iWork which we should have soon enough (I'm guessing January).

Finally! Its crazy how long it took. Even game developers have updated their apps to work with the retina display which I'm sure took a LOT more work than this. I'm amazed they didn't have this ready for the iPhone 4 launch date.

They had to wait until itunes 10 and AirPlay was announced and the new Apple TV was ready. This wasn't developed by just the one guy who created the original application. A former Macrumors member actually worked on it.

azcoyote
Sep 29, 2010, 12:21 AM

I'm also experiencing this issue with the iPad version of Remote, but it seems to be a large number of albums for an artist causing the issue, not the number of tracks. If I try bringing up my U2 collection (92 albums, 814 tracks) with Remote on my iPad, I see the albums listed but no songs or album covers, just like in your screenshot. But if I browse The Beatles (49 albums, 865 tracks), Remote correctly displays all the songs and album covers. I also installed the new Remote on my iPhone4. No issues displaying my U2 albums with that version. So switching to the iPhone will be my workaround for now when listening to U2, until a fix comes out for iPad version.

eTip
Sep 29, 2010, 01:12 AM
I'm also experiencing this issue with the iPad version of Remote, but it seems to be a large number of albums for an artist causing the issue, not the number of tracks. If I try bringing up my U2 collection (92 albums, 814 tracks) with Remote on my iPad, I see the albums listed but no songs or album covers, just like in your screenshot. But if I browse The Beatles (49 albums, 865 tracks), Remote correctly displays all the songs and album covers. I also installed the new Remote on my iPhone4. No issues displaying my U2 albums with that version. So switching to the iPhone will be my workaround for now when listening to U2, until a fix comes out for iPad version.

Different issue for me. Rolling Stones (44 Albums, ~600 songs) won't display at all. It starts to load then pretty quickly gives up & goes back to Music, Artists. Behavior repeats if I select Rolling Stones again. Ditto for "Various Artists" (don't recall the number of Albums but over 1800 tracks). I have large library - over 47K tracks of music and ~300 to 400 movies.

Will test with some other artists for which I have a lot of albums. If I select songs - it will load all 47K without a problem - which has been a problem with other apps etc.

FrancisD
Sep 29, 2010, 01:57 AM

This has always worked with the apple tv, and still does in the current version. The whole point of using the remote app was the benefits in being able to use gestures and the keyboard on an ios device.

It is an excellent update, I don't see why anyone would recommend not updating to this version.

FrancisD
Sep 29, 2010, 02:05 AM
How does this work? Can i do it with a mac mini, macbook and laptop?

You could always do that with the old version, you just tap the bar that says "speakers". Been running a multi room setup with this for ages (including outdoor powered speakers off an express).

FrancisD
Sep 29, 2010, 02:10 AM

http://www.rebelinblue.com/skitch/iTunes-20100928-215733.png

but when you expand it this happens

http://www.rebelinblue.com/skitch/iTunes-20100928-215819.png

Also when controlling the (old) :apple: TV the movies/TV shows only show items actually on the :apple: TV even if you have it synced to show everything from your iTunes library :( I'm sure it use to show everything before

I'm watching a movie that is not synched to my old apple tv right now. The full list showed up instantly. Navigation via the remote app is great (so far).

FrancisD
Sep 29, 2010, 02:42 AM
Different issue for me. Rolling Stones (44 Albums, ~600 songs) won't display at all. It starts to load then pretty quickly gives up & goes back to Music, Artists. Behavior repeats if I select Rolling Stones again. Ditto for "Various Artists" (don't recall the number of Albums but over 1800 tracks). I have large library - over 47K tracks of music and ~300 to 400 movies.

Will test with some other artists for which I have a lot of albums. If I select songs - it will load all 47K without a problem - which has been a problem with other apps etc.

The closest I have is pink floyd with 400+ songs and it takes about a 4 count for it to load, the rest are in the 1-3 second range. Oddly enough Aerosmith has about 450 and loads almost instantly.

And that is either via the legacy apple tv (unsynched, so it's going back to itunes on the iMac) or directly to the imac's iTunes share.

I wonder how much of a factor connectivity (router/interference/distance) is going to be with this?

I thought it might be an issue so I picked up a refurb dual band airport extreme this week (current model) to replace my old one.

If someone wants me to test the difference between the two I could probably try that out tomorrow.

batchtaster
Sep 29, 2010, 05:07 AM
On ya Kylie.

whokilledkaji
Sep 29, 2010, 05:14 AM
Wow! I've been using the old remote in 2x mode on iPad and this is a total breath of fresh air!!! I'm loving it so far!

BillyBobBongo
Sep 29, 2010, 06:44 AM
The closest I have is pink floyd with 400+ songs and it takes about a 4 count for it to load, the rest are in the 1-3 second range. Oddly enough Aerosmith has about 450 and loads almost instantly.

Hey, how did you get access to my music library!?! ;)

northernbaldy
Sep 29, 2010, 07:06 AM
didn't seem to work for me
the mac mini server would see the app, then drop it instantly
it couldn't find the apple tv either

tonight I will reboot the whole lot!

reboots are the future, like alcohol, it fixes all problems

Jelite
Sep 29, 2010, 07:45 AM
You could always do that with the old version, you just tap the bar that says "speakers". Been running a multi room setup with this for ages (including outdoor powered speakers off an express).

I don't have an express so i don't get the bar, i was hoping you could do it from computer to computer seeing as you can share music through home sharing.

Mistrblank
Sep 29, 2010, 09:47 AM

The old remote.app DOES include this functionality, that would be a downgrade in my opinion.

I do know it was hidden, or at least you had to hunt for it with the old App. I'll have to wait for my AppleTV to show up to find out though, not until October 5th according to the email I got yesterday :( And I ordered mine the first day it went on presale.

tommylotto
Sep 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
Okay when I updated tp the new version, I already had the old version paired with my iTunes library and one of my two AppleTVs. Those settings were preserved fine. I can connect and control those two sources perfectly. However, I cannot figure out how to add the other AppleTV. It says it will add AppleTVs if home sharing is enabled. I know how to enable home sharing in iTunes, but not sure how to enable it on AppleTV. Not sure what I am doing wrong...

newagemac
Sep 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
I believe the Home Sharing on an Apple TV is in reference to the new Apple TV but the remote app still works with the old Apple TV. I think you have to go to the settings screen on the old Apple TV and enter the 4 digit code. You can't use the Home Sharing feature to automatically find it. That's only on the new ATV.

mdelvecchio
Sep 29, 2010, 12:09 PM
This is a great lesson in marketing and promotion. Airtunes and the old remote have been around for a while doing much of what Airplay is touted to do (ok, minus the video and streaming from IOS). Add a little marketing and promotion and whammo, people are finally discovering what they've had the ability to do for a long time.

uh yeah not really. streaming from itunes to airtunes is one thing, streaming audio & video from iOS mobile devices to tvs, receivers, and speakers is a very different thing -- not remotely close to simply new marketing.

REBELinBLUE
Sep 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
I'm watching a movie that is not synched to my old apple tv right now. The full list showed up instantly. Navigation via the remote app is great (so far).

I could of course watch everything, they just weren't showing up in the listing on the remote. Anyway restarting the :apple: TV seems to have fixed it

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 29, 2010, 05:13 PM
Sadly, I see they have still chosen not to implement a lyric display in Remote, which is odd given it otherwise largely emulates the same interface as the iPod Touch/iPhone music player (which does show lyrics on-screen when you tap the artwork). I suggested the feature when Remote first came out and I figured it obvious to be missing, but I guess it was too rough to add a simple lyric load from the iTunes library. Maybe if they offer these functions to 3rd parties, they can add the missing features Apple is too darn lazy to add (I'm still waiting over 3 years later for a simple visualizer option on Apple TV like the one in iTunes...I can wait until Hell freezes over I guess).

KDR
Sep 29, 2010, 05:33 PM
uh yeah not really. streaming from itunes to airtunes is one thing, streaming audio & video from iOS mobile devices to tvs, receivers, and speakers is a very different thing -- not remotely close to simply new marketing.

uh, read my post again and the a large portion of the Airplay posts. I'm not saying the IOS stuff isn't new or cool, but many people are talking about speakers and iTunes music streaming like it's a new thing. I don't think Apple did enough to promote these capabilities before Airplay.

PaulNY
Sep 29, 2010, 09:43 PM
Having a weird issue...loaded up the app on my iPad (4.2B2) and my iPhone 4 (4.1GM) and have the iTunes 10.1 Beta (Win x64) and I'm having issues playing files from the main music library.

It finds the library just fine, lists all my music...but wont let me play any of them. "Cannot Find Library on the network"

The even weirder part is that it'll allow me to play any playlist and TV Shows/Movies/Music Videos.

Anyone have this issue?

http://imgur.com/yVnts.png (http://imgur.com/yVnts.png)

MacbookAlum1536
Sep 29, 2010, 10:27 PM
I downloaded the updated Remote application to my iPhone yesterday set it up and everything and today no matter what i do to it, it will not connect to my iTunes library and it works connecting to everything but mine. I've tried the troubleshooting doc and turning on home sharing reinstalling and rebooting.
Any help would be appreciated.
Screen Shot attached.

FrancisD
Sep 29, 2010, 10:58 PM
I don't have an express so i don't get the bar, i was hoping you could do it from computer to computer seeing as you can share music through home sharing.

Ahh, my mistake

tommylotto
Sep 30, 2010, 11:19 AM
Okay, has anyone been able to pair the new remote application with an old AppleTV?

I upgraded the old Remote app on my iPad to the new version when it was only paired with one of my 2 AppleTV's. It controls the old AppleTV that was previously paired just fine, but I cannot get it to pair with the old AppleTV that was not paired when I upgraded the software. I fear that this Remote software was only designed to work with the new AppleTV and not the old AppleTV and it was just a fluke that it kept the pairing to the old AppleTV's that were already paired at the time of upgrading.

I'm already thinking of restoring the old version pairing all my old units then upgrading again. Am I missing something?

pdpfilms
Sep 30, 2010, 11:32 AM
Okay, has anyone been able to pair the new remote application with an old AppleTV?

I upgraded the old Remote app on my iPad to the new version when it was only paired with one of my 2 AppleTV's. It controls the old AppleTV that was previously paired just fine, but I cannot get it to pair with the old AppleTV that was not paired when I upgraded the software. I fear that this Remote software was only designed to work with the new AppleTV and not the old AppleTV and it was just a fluke that it kept the pairing to the old AppleTV's that were already paired at the time of upgrading.

I'm already thinking of restoring the old version pairing all my old units then upgrading again. Am I missing something?
Are you using the proper update procedure?

(to paraphrase)
Remote App: Add Library
AppleTV: Settings>Remotes>Enter code

tommylotto
Sep 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for responding. Have you been able to do this?

I can get the code to display on the iPad,
But I cannot find where to enter it on the AppleTV

Under the old app the screen with the boxes for the code would come up. It is not coming up for me in the new app.

pdpfilms
Sep 30, 2010, 11:43 AM

Under the old app the screen with the boxes for the code would come up. It is not coming up for me in the new app.

Fortunately for me (it seems), my iPad was previously paired. Now I'm a bit hesitant to unpair...

jaw04005
Sep 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
Having a weird issue...loaded up the app on my iPad (4.2B2) and my iPhone 4 (4.1GM) and have the iTunes 10.1 Beta (Win x64) and I'm having issues playing files from the main music library. Anyone have this issue?

The remote app is not fully compatible with the iTunes 10.1 beta. Music files don’t play.

Revert back to 10.0.1.

kriista1234
Sep 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm having a hard time getting this working on the iPad.

At first I tried "adding an itunes library". It gave me a 4digit code and vague instructions of what to do in iTunes. Nothing showed up in iTunes, no devices menu or anything.
If I docked the iPad, then it showed up in devices, but there wasn't anywhere to input the code.

So I turned on home sharing, and logged in on the iPad, and now it says that it's connecting to my library, but it never does. It's just sitting on the "Connecting to Library" message, with a spinning grey pinwheel.

Any thoughts?

KDR
Sep 30, 2010, 03:17 PM

At first I tried "adding an itunes library". It gave me a 4digit code and vague instructions of what to do in iTunes. Nothing showed up in iTunes, no devices menu or anything.
If I docked the iPad, then it showed up in devices, but there wasn't anywhere to input the code.

So I turned on home sharing, and logged in on the iPad, and now it says that it's connecting to my library, but it never does. It's just sitting on the "Connecting to Library" message, with a spinning grey pinwheel.

Any thoughts?

are you leaving iTunes running on the computer when you are trying to connect?

kriista1234
Sep 30, 2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah both are open.

I rebooted the iPad too (holding power/home until the apple comes up). I haven't power cycled the iMac though.

Does it take a really long time the first time?

KDR
Sep 30, 2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah both are open.

I rebooted the iPad too (holding power/home until the apple comes up). I haven't power cycled the iMac though.

Does it take a really long time the first time?

Mine is very fast as long as the computer is awake. You may want to check your wifi signal strength.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 30, 2010, 04:17 PM

I hadn't previously paired my Apple TV with my iPad and by following these steps I've had no problems. I've also unpaired my iPod Touch and added it ago using these steps.

HT Guy
Sep 30, 2010, 05:30 PM

Any thoughts?

I have not been able to get my iPad to consistently pair with my iMac using the Apple remote app. I am hoping Apple can get this fixed.

GermanSuplex
Sep 30, 2010, 06:59 PM
The remote app is the biggest tease for built-in access of your iTunes library away from home. When I click on something from the iPad, I half expect it to start playing from the iPad itself rather than the device I'm controlling.

Forget storing your data in the cloud, just give me easy to use, built-in support via iTunes and iOS with an interface similar to the remote app.

tommylotto
Sep 30, 2010, 07:27 PM
Fortunately for me (it seems), my iPad was previously paired. Now I'm a bit hesitant to unpair...

My bad. The trick is to not open the Remote menu on the appleTV until after the code is displayed on the iPad in the Remote app. If the Remote menu is open on the AppleTV it does not seem to refresh.

tigres
Sep 30, 2010, 07:28 PM
This app is way better now. Love it.

Supreme14
Sep 30, 2010, 11:06 PM
The update is great, both on my phone (like it has been) and now on my iPad which is a great improvement over the old '2x iPhone' look..

But why is it when I click on songs it list them alphabetically by artists? (Does this on both devices)... If I wanted to sort by artist then that's what I'd choose...

And in version 1.0 it did sort by song title, just like it does in the iPod app.

just21
Oct 1, 2010, 07:51 AM
I only have an ipad at home, will I be able to stream music from the ipad to the new atv?

potatis
Oct 1, 2010, 04:08 PM
Now I want support for the new iPod Nano to control the :apple:TV from my iPod Nano wristwatch

MagnusVonMagnum
Oct 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
This app is way better now. Love it.

How is it better? It looks 100% the same to me here except for the new icon and the different speaker output control icons. It has support for iPad and the newer ATV, but I don't have either of those at the moment, just the older AppleTV and Airport Express units. There's still no support for lyric display like iPods have with their own music (this would be easy to add and very helpful for those of us that would like to see hard to understand lyrics while a song plays; AppleTV should have an option to display them as well. I don't see the point in having features in iTunes if they don't support viewing/using them in other sub-products). What other new features am I overlooking?

kriista1234
Oct 2, 2010, 11:33 AM
I've still not been able to get it to sync even once. Anyone else having this problem?

I have not been able to get my iPad to consistently pair with my iMac using the Apple remote app. I am hoping Apple can get this fixed.

HighwayChile
Oct 3, 2010, 01:20 AM
'm having a hard time getting this working on the iPad.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem, what worked for me was going into iTunes preferences and on the devices tab I clicked on the “Look for iPod, iPhone and iPad Remotes” and made sure that was checked. Then it worked! Hope that works for you. I am running iTunes on a mac computer.

kriista1234
Oct 3, 2010, 03:42 AM
That did it!

Man, I wish the Remove app came with better instructions detailing this stuff.

I had the same problem, what worked for me was going into iTunes preferences and on the devices tab I clicked on the “Look for iPod, iPhone and iPad Remotes” and made sure that was checked. Then it worked! Hope that works for you. I am running iTunes on a mac computer.

Omne666
Oct 3, 2010, 04:37 AM
Anyone know how to get it working with more then one :apple:TV?? I've got 4 of the suckers and want to be able to swap depending on which room Im in.

All Ive managed to achieve is to delete the remote app, dload it again, and set it up again or a different device. Anyway to quickly chop and change devices??

Omne666
Oct 3, 2010, 04:49 AM

I've got it working fine...all old :apple:TVs....e 4 digit numbers don't come up automatically....have to go into the remote pairing menu on the :apple:TV and it appears there.

bbotte
Oct 14, 2010, 02:55 PM
How do you get the arrow function and menu button to function on the iPhone, I can't find it anywhere once I connect my iPhone to the AppleTv. What the hell?

Graeme43
Oct 14, 2010, 02:59 PM
What the he'll?

Spell checkers a pain in the ass eh :p :D

bbotte
Oct 14, 2010, 03:21 PM
Spell checkers a pain in the ass eh :p :D

Yes, iphone owns me, anyone answer my question? Was this function dropped out of the iPhone app and only works in the iPad app now? I see it in the iPad app, not the iPhone app.

bbotte
Oct 14, 2010, 03:29 PM
So basically you can't use your iPhone as a remote to rent or buy content on iTuens anymore? Seriously? I have to use the plastic white remote for that? So there is no "control" function on the iPhone anymore?

PurdueGuy
Oct 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
So basically you can't use your iPhone as a remote to rent or buy content on iTuens anymore? Seriously? I have to use the plastic white remote for that? So there is no "control" function on the iPhone anymore?

When I use my iPhone as a remote, it's mostly a black screen. You can swipe left/right/up/down to move the cursor. And tap to select.
Along the bottom, there is a menu button, and if there is a keyboard onscreen, a button to bring up a keyboard.

bbotte
Oct 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

When I use my iPhone as a remote, it's mostly a black screen. You can swipe left/right/up/down to move the cursor. And tap to select.
Along the bottom, there is a menu button, and if there is a keyboard onscreen, a button to bring up a keyboard.

Mine does not do that!

azcoyote
Oct 15, 2010, 12:42 PM
A new update Remote 2.0.1 is now available in the App Store. It fixes a number of bugs in Remote 2.0, including the issue browsing artists having large number of albums. I encountered this problem on the iPad. Can't wait to try it out later today when I get home from work.

davidwarren
Oct 15, 2010, 01:18 PM
the update also says it improves performance when bluetooth is activated- BT connection to the ATV?

WiiDSmoker
Oct 15, 2010, 03:03 PM
the update also says it improves performance when bluetooth is activated- BT connection to the ATV?

I'm thinking it means BT to the computer...not sure

caoxiang
Oct 25, 2010, 07:58 PM
Having a weird issue...loaded up the app on my iPad (4.2B2) and my iPhone 4 (4.1GM) and have the iTunes 10.1 Beta (Win x64) and I'm having issues playing files from the main music library.

It finds the library just fine, lists all my music...but wont let me play any of them. "Cannot Find Library on the network"

The even weirder part is that it'll allow me to play any playlist and TV Shows/Movies/Music Videos.

Anyone have this issue?

http://imgur.com/yVnts.png (http://imgur.com/yVnts.png)

Do not use iTunes 10.1 beta. Fallback to released 10.0.1

Hammie
Nov 10, 2010, 04:15 AM
I love the app and use it all the time, but my one complaint is that you cannot choose letters for songs or albums. This option is only available with composers, genres, and artists.

Additionally, songs are organized by artists. I would prefer them to be in alphabetical order by song title.

Anyone know the easiest way to submit feedback to Apple regarding this app? I have been all over and cannot find a way.

MagnusVonMagnum
Nov 10, 2010, 03:57 PM
Tell them you'd like to see song lyrics display on the screen like they do for songs stored directly on the iPhone/iPod Touch while you're at it. I sent them that suggestion a long time ago (I'd like to see them optionally appear on Apple TV as well when playing music), but obviously they need more requests. This would more closely mimic the iPhone/Touch behavior and let you read lyrics on unfamiliar songs while they play at home. Heck, I can't believe the Apple TV still doesn't have a basic visualizer option even. It couldn't have been hard to implement given it's already in iTunes.... (sigh)

From A Buick 8
Jan 3, 2011, 12:52 PM

I have the same thing on my iPad. The remote app will control the appleTV but i need to be right there in front of the TV to see what i am doing. Wish there was a way to see the ATV2 menu on the iPad screen.

Darth.Titan
Jan 3, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have the same thing on my iPad. The remote app will control the appleTV but i need to be right there in front of the TV to see what i am doing. Wish there was a way to see the ATV2 menu on the iPad screen.

You just need to change the mode from 'Control' at the bottom of the screen to 'Playlists' or whatever you want to browse by.

From A Buick 8
Jan 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you, that is a little better. I still wish there was a way to see the actual ATV menu on the ipad.