PDA

View Full Version : DVD burner in iMac G5

FredAkbar
Dec 24, 2004, 01:24 PM
Has anyone tried burning DVD-RW or DVD+RW disks in an iMac G5? The burner is a Matsh*ta UJ-825. I put a CD in and Disk Utility reported the drive's capabilities as including DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW. But I know people have had problems on Macs burning to DVD-RWs and especially DVD+RWs. I'm considering buying a pack of DVD +/- RWs, but I want to make sure I'll be able to use them.

maya
Dec 24, 2004, 01:28 PM
Has anyone tried burning DVD-RW or DVD+RW disks in an iMac G5? The burner is a Matsh*ta UJ-825. I put a CD in and Disk Utility reported the drive's capabilities as including DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW. But I know people have had problems on Macs burning to DVD-RWs and especially DVD+RWs. I'm considering buying a pack of DVD +/- RWs, but I want to make sure I'll be able to use them.

I know by experience that the drive will support DVD-R/RW. :)

carlos700
Dec 24, 2004, 02:31 PM
Most Apple SuperDrives will only support DVD-R. Although If your iMac SuperDrive does support it, will the software?

~Shard~
Dec 24, 2004, 02:45 PM
What the hardware reports it can do, and what the software supports are 2 different things. I cannot speak to the + format, but I know that Apple drives burn - format just fine, so I always just stick with that to be on the safe side. :cool:

ebook
Dec 24, 2004, 08:00 PM
For what it is worth I found out that my iMac G5 does not support the - format last night. At least that was the case when I was using iDVD. Any body want a 3 pack of + DVD's :(

FredAkbar
Dec 24, 2004, 09:09 PM
For what it is worth I found out that my iMac G5 does not support the - format last night. At least that was the case when I was using iDVD. Any body want a 3 pack of + DVD's :(
If you found out that it doesn't support - format, then why are you offering a pack of + DVDs, implying that it's + that doesn't work with the iMac? Or do neither of them work for you?

pckilla
Dec 24, 2004, 09:21 PM
ive found that i can burn dvd+rw if i use toast but only dvd-r on idvd...
so even though the burner can do it you have to have the software to actually pull it of

maya
Dec 24, 2004, 10:12 PM
ive found that i can burn dvd+rw if i use toast but only dvd-r on idvd...
so even though the burner can do it you have to have the software to actually pull it of

So the iMac g5 burner is a dual format burner nice. :)

Toast will support + for the iMac SuperDrive and OS X will support - native for the SuperDrive.

Problem solved no need to worry people just use your + media with toast and you - media with toast and OS X native across. :)

FredAkbar
Dec 25, 2004, 12:33 AM
Do you need Toast/iDVD to use a DVD-RW, or can it work like a CD-RW, where it just mounts on the Desktop and you can drag stuff to it? I don't have Toast, and I'd have to install iDVD from my software restore CD, so I don't know what it would be like using iDVD. Is it pretty easy to just make random backup DVDs if I want to?