PDA

View Full Version : ATV Competitor To CableTV?

MikePA
Sep 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
I realize this will require you to look into your crystal ball, but do any of you see this happening?

Frankly, I am investigating ATV, and the others, as a way to save money over cableTV, not spend more. At a minimum, get more for the same price.

I have a very simple cableTV set up; only 2 HD TVs, 2 HD DVRs and no premium services, e.g., HBO, STARZ, etc. But to get the HD channels I want, I have to buy additional services from my cable provider which includes a lot of channels I don't want. Of all the channels we have access to, I bet we watch only 20 - 30 channels consistently which includes the the HDs versions of the 4 broadcast channels. But, as I said, these 20 - 30 channels cross several services with my cable provider.

I'd love to see a real al a carte TV offering from one of these services and not a 99 cent/episode pricing plan, there's no way that'd be less expensive than cableTV for us. In other words, pick X number of channels for a certain price/month.

Thoughts?

PurdueGuy
Sep 28, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'd love to see a real al a carte TV offering from one of these services and not a 99 cent/episode pricing plan, there's no way that'd be less expensive than cableTV for us. In other words, pick X number of channels for a certain price/month.

Thoughts?

Every channel is priced differently. ESPN, for example, is over $4/mo/subscriber. Even tho I can live without it. But the contracts state everyone gets it.

Also, the cable companies are paid to have HSN, etc. on your system. To get just the channels you want would probably end up being more expensive, since the cost of certain channels isn't as spread out, and you probably wouldn't be taking the channels that pay the operator an incentive.