PDA

View Full Version : Re-install airport card?

Applespider
Dec 24, 2004, 01:39 PM
So I'm at my mother's for the holidays, setting up a wireless network for her with an Airport Express and her cable modem.

The network is just fine - that's what I'm connecting on with 3 bars on the airport signal on my 15" PB.

I installed an Extreme card in Mum's iBook (the revision immediately before the ones with Airport already installed), following all the instructions and it all seemed OK. I used the iBook to set up the network although I was only getting 2 bars while right next to the base station.

But now I'm getting nothing on the iBook - tho the PB is just fine.

Do you think it's an antenna problem? Should I try reinstalling the card? Any other thoughts?

beatle888
Dec 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
My girlfriend and i installed an airX on her iMac and we were like "THREE BARS what the....." so i called apple tech....did nothing....

upon inspection i noticed that my girlfriend hadnt pushed the connector all the way into the card...little hands. I pushed a bit further and it worked perfectly.

cluthz
Dec 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
So I'm at my mother's for the holidays, setting up a wireless network for her with an Airport Express and her cable modem.

The network is just fine - that's what I'm connecting on with 3 bars on the airport signal on my 15" PB.

I installed an Extreme card in Mum's iBook (the revision immediately before the ones with Airport already installed), following all the instructions and it all seemed OK. I used the iBook to set up the network although I was only getting 2 bars while right next to the base station.

But now I'm getting nothing on the iBook - tho the PB is just fine.

Do you think it's an antenna problem? Should I try reinstalling the card? Any other thoughts?

Reinstall the card. You need to use a serious amout of force to get it properly in place. I had the same problem with a friends powerbook

Applespider
Dec 24, 2004, 03:07 PM
My girlfriend and i installed an airX on her iMac and we were like "THREE BARS what the....." so i called apple tech....did nothing....

upon inspection i noticed that my girlfriend hadnt pushed the connector all the way into the card...little hands. I pushed a bit further and it worked perfectly.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I thought I had pressed the antenna in fairly hard but on a subsequent inspection and a hard push down on a harder surface than my girlie hands, it went in more. Now, all is fine!

Phew!

beatle888
Dec 24, 2004, 03:34 PM
good then. happy holidays and new year.