PDA

View Full Version : iPad 3G black antenna stripe cracked - Will Apple exchange?

HXGuy
Sep 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
I have no idea how this happened, to my knowledge my iPad has never been dropped. There are no scratch marks or anything aside from a crack on both ends of the black antenna stripe at the top of the iPad. Could it be a factory default of some sort?

Here is how it looks. One side has actually chipped away, the other just has the crack. Both originally looked the same and the odd thing is that it's identical on both ends.

http://www.nitnelav.com/cracked1.png

http://www.nitnelav.com/cracked2.png

bcaslis
Sep 28, 2010, 04:29 PM
From the pictures if it was a factory fault you would think it would come looking like this. It sure looks like it's been dropped or something. Don't see how it could have both a large crack and a missing chunk all by itself.

sapporobaby
Sep 28, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have no idea how this happened, to my knowledge my iPad has never been dropped. There are no scratch marks or anything aside from a crack on both ends of the black antenna stripe at the top of the iPad. Could it be a factory default of some sort?

Here is how it looks. One side has actually chipped away, the other just has the crack. Both originally looked the same and the odd thing is that it's identical on both ends.

http://www.nitnelav.com/cracked1.png

http://www.nitnelav.com/cracked2.png

Come on dude. Are you really asking this here? Really? You must have the uber-magical iPad that self destructs when no one is looking. Anyway, why are you asking here what Apple will do? Last time I checked MR is not an Apple repair depot. The thing to do would be to go to an Apple store and plead your totally unbelievable case to them. They might be having a: "we will believe anything" day and replace it for you. Not saying it was not a factory defect but your story in my book is too hard to believe. I dropped my iPhone, manned up, and went in to have it repaired on my dime, but they said factory defect and replaced it for free. The difference here is that I acknowledged that I was at fault and didn't go in saying I had no idea how this crack just happened.

tomaseriksson
Feb 21, 2011, 03:17 AM
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have gotten cracks on the exakt same spot. I don't have a single scratch on my iPad except for that one. Is the antenna plastic very fragile?

SkippyThorson
Jul 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
I finally broke down and got a used 1st gen iPad on the cheap because the owner thought something could go horribly wrong with the antenna at the rate it's going. He said there were always hairline cracks in it from what he could tell, and eventually from use (and never being in a carry case) both corners chipped identically just like this. Otherwise, it's pristine, and the metal that's right next to those chips is just as factory fresh as the rest of the iPad. Is this rather widespread? In my search, this is the most recent of quite a few instances of this. Any odds Apple would do anything, or should I just leave things alone?

SkippyThorson
Jul 26, 2011, 01:54 PM
(This will be the last time I resurrect this, I swear. :p)

Went to the Syracuse Carousel Mall last night, and figured I'd bring my iPad to see if they could fix the antenna for me. I was totally honest with the guy I spoke with - I told him that I bought it used with a chip and a small crack, and under my ownership that crack on the opposite side turned into an equal sized chip as well. I told him how I don't have a case for it, and I had it in my laptop bag in the second compartment next to my laptop. I also admitted to him that after I use my laptop and iPad, the inside of that bag must be warm for a while. (My MacBook can get pretty toasty under heavy use.)

He said everything I thought. The metal around the antenna was just fine, and scratch free. There were no dents or scratches in the body, and no nicks on the screen or the little gasket around it. It made little sense that I could have caused only the antenna to crack. Even if it had dropped or been hit in to something, the metal around it would show more or just as much damage. He said it seemed like an issue with heat regarding 3G use, and it made sense that the original owner didn't provide me with a Sim Card if that were the case.

Well, he brought it in back, and apparently one of the techs had heard about the problem before. He didn't hesitate to tell me that it was covered under AppleCare (which the previous owner had extended, likely for this reason) and that instead of a repair, he would replace the entire iPad for me. :eek: / :) This is absolute proof that if you are honest and upfront, you get the most honest assistance available to you. OP, you aren't alone in this issue. If the tech at a little Syracuse store had seen this before, I wonder how many times the techs at the 5th Ave store in NYC have seen it, or otherwise.

I am now obviously putting this iPad in a case. Before I use it at all, it's getting a Zagg Invisible Shield, then going in an Apple case, then in my laptop bag. While I told him everything about the iPad I could under my ownership, I don't know what the previous owner did - but I can say that these little things can be avoided by basic care. Some form of protection is a necessary accessory for portable electronics.

Kyrille
Aug 13, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hi,

I just discovered the exact same bad surprise few minutes ago...

My iPad is 10 months old and has no scratches. I use a stand in the house when I don't use it and a dedicated cover for transportation. I am sure I did nothing wrong in the last few days and it's why I was looking for such a thread. Bingo!

I will go to an Apple store before the end of warranty (beginning of october) and I will discuss with the techs. I'm not sure they will replace my iPad1 with a brand new one because of current iPad2...

Stay tuned! ;-)