PDA

View Full Version : Best way to read epub files on the iPad? ...

cmeisenzahl
Sep 28, 2010, 07:12 PM
I just bought an iPad today! ;-)

I have two books that ere published as epub files that I would like to read on the iPad and have a couple questions.

1. What's the best way to get them onto the iPad? (this time I added them to iTunes and synced)

2. What's the most elegant way to read them? The built-in iBook app? Kindle app? Something else?

Thanks very much in advance!

Chris

NebulaClash
Sep 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
You did it the correct way. You open up iTunes, click Add to Library, and then sync.

As to which app you prefer, I'm only familiar with iBooks, and I love it. But since you can get the Kindle app for free too, why not try them both out and see what you prefer?

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 28, 2010, 07:20 PM
The Kindle app only reads books purchased via Amazon in Kindle format.

I'd just use the iBooks app to read ePub formatted books. You may find some DRM'd ePubs won't open, but they have been few and far between for me.

cmeisenzahl
Sep 28, 2010, 07:30 PM
Perfect, great info, thanks to both of you!

tekchic
Sep 28, 2010, 09:13 PM
If you have your own epub books, I also recommend Stanza. It's free, and does a good job on epubs. I usually save iBooks and Kindle for books I buy directly from them. iBooks is pretty good too, but no night mode (if you want to read in a darker environment).

If you go to the "Apps" tab on your iTunes iPad, and then scroll down, you'll see where you can add files for Stanza (and others).

For getting epubs to iBooks, just drag them to the "Books" folder in iTunes and then sync (or drag to your iPad if you don't sync books).