PDA

View Full Version : What do you do??

dwburnell
Sep 28, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hey all,

So I REALLY want an iPad and since best buy is doing 18 months no interest for any purchase over $249, the iPad seems like the perfect thing use that no interest deal on. My question. I have an iPhone 4 and use it all the time. I am not bashing the iPad here, this is just for information purposes, but what do you do on your iPad that you can't/don't like to do on your iPhone? And vise versa (please don't say "use it as a phone" because I would like answers that both devices could do). Thanks for the help!

rsbell
Sep 28, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hey all,

So I REALLY want an iPad and since best buy is doing 18 months no interest for any purchase over $249, the iPad seems like the perfect thing use that no interest deal on. My question. I have an iPhone 4 and use it all the time. I am not bashing the iPad here, this is just for information purposes, but what do you do on your iPad that you can't/don't like to do on your iPhone? And vise versa (please don't say "use it as a phone" because I would like answers that both devices could do). Thanks for the help!

I HATE reading anything on my iPhone. Given the choice, I read everything on the iPad.

iPhone has been demoted to VERY quick web surfing and texting.

IrishVixen
Sep 28, 2010, 08:28 PM
I HATE reading anything on my iPhone. Given the choice, I read everything on the iPad.

iPhone has been demoted to VERY quick web surfing and texting.

Same here. The iPhone 4 is my "travel" device--if I'm leaving the house, it goes with me for quick searches, navigation, tunes, taking pics, and yes, texts/phone calls. But once I'm home, the only thing I use it for is communication and music. Everything else happens on the iPad--surfing, gaming, forums, writing, managing bills, booking trips or appointments, most photo processing, and much more.

The iPad basically replaced my MacBookPro, not my iPhone. That's been pretty much the same response from all our family members who have them. My brother in law only uses his desktop machine for coding at this point, husband uses his for a couple of Flash-based games and to log into work remotely. My mother in law gave her computer up completely. We just don't need use them much anymore except to sync the darn iOS devices.

doodude
Sep 28, 2010, 08:32 PM
Same here. The iPhone 4 is my "travel" device--if I'm leaving the house, it goes with me for quick searches, navigation, tunes, taking pics, and yes, texts/phone calls. But once I'm home, the only thing I use it for is communication and music. Everything else happens on the iPad--surfing, gaming, forums, writing, managing bills, booking trips or appointments, most photo processing, and much more.

Same here...

Jackintosh
Sep 28, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if an iPad is really a smart purchase at this time if you need to borrow money to buy it. Not wanting to play Suze Orman here, but maybe that money would be better put into an emergency savings account or pay off some other bills.

dwburnell
Sep 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
Just wondering if an iPad is really a smart purchase at this time if you need to borrow money to buy it. Not wanting to play Suze Orman here, but maybe that money would be better put into an emergency savings account or pay off some other bills.

Actually money isn't a problem, i just like to budget my money especially if I can get "free" financing. So I'd rather pay $35 a month for 18 months then $500 up front if I don't have to.

Mr Kram
Sep 29, 2010, 11:04 AM
anything to do with reading is much more pleasant on the ipad. obviously, videos are also easier on the eyes. many of the apps specifically designed for the ipad offer a better UI and more functionality. lastly, i find that my iPad gets much better 3G reception than my iPhone. this is very noticeable when the signal is weak.

redgaz26
Sep 29, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you have kids don't buy one!!!! I can never get on mine!!! Kids love it.

abta1
Sep 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hey all,

Anything that involves using my eyes for an extended period of time. Usually over 30 mins.

sushi
Sep 29, 2010, 11:11 AM
In the FWIW category, prior to my iPad I thought that it was just a big iPod touch (which I have). I was used to doing everything on my iPhone or iPod touch.

Now after getting an iPad, I rarely use my iPhone or iPod touch and use my iPad for most everything.

smetvid
Sep 29, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ok here is one. There are apps designed for the iPad only that you will never be able to get for the iPhone. You can however pretty much use any iPhone app out there on the iPad. So the iPad allows you to use software that you just cannot use on the iPhone. For example Pages, Keynote and Numbers. While it may be possible to format a document with a iPhone it isn't exactly going to be comfortable. There are many other iPad apps out there that would be awkward to use on a phone

The screensize of the iPad gives you much more then just higher resolution. It allows apps that have multiple sections or windows and are more comfortable to use. While the iPad is also considered mobile computing it is more like a computer then a phone will ever be due to its natural size. Unless people start shrinking, a 3.5" screen will always seem small to us.

I use my iPad in meetings at work to type notes and draw rough sketches of concepts for clients. Now typing isn't as fast as a real keyboard but it is a heck of a lot faster then typing on a phone. I actually feel as though I am getting close to matching what I can do with a notebook or sketchpad.

Basically the iPad to me is all about UI design and we can use apps and design content with a totally different mindset then the iPhone.

sushi
Sep 29, 2010, 06:24 PM
So the iPad allows you to use software that you just cannot use on the iPhone. For example Pages, Keynote and Numbers.
To add. Omni Focus.

While the iPhone version is very nice, their iPad version, IMHO, is so much better due to the larger screen area.