Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anoopmj

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Hi,

I have been programming with visual basic on windows for a while now and was hoping to move onto fortran (mainly because of lots of old code) on a mac. I have gfortran and g95 already, and it seems to work well.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good and simple (imp!) way to create GUIs for fortran code on a mac, like visual basic on windows? I have heard about Xcode, but that does not seem as intuitive as VB.

Cheers,

A

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
There is not going to be a simple GUI builder that works with fortran. There is REALBasic, which some people like, but I don't know what support it has for integration with other languages. I do know that there is support for C and fortran integration, which should allow bridging to Objective-C. At that point you can use Interface Builder, but this seems pretty daunting to me.

-Lee

anoopmj

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have heard about real basic, but was hoping to move away from basic completely... although would like the visual studio interface.
Have you tried eclipse or netbeans... I have been reading on these two and they seem interesting.

A

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
The IDEs you mention are good... eclipse for a number of languages (maybe fortran is supported? i don't know), netbeans is Java-only. These don't have tools for visually building GUIs (that I know of), though. I could be mistaken, but I've never used them for this purpose.

-Lee

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
The IDEs you mention are good... eclipse for a number of languages (maybe fortran is supported? i don't know), netbeans is Java-only. These don't have tools for visually building GUIs (that I know of), though. I could be mistaken, but I've never used them for this purpose.

-Lee

Netbeans is now C++/C too. Apparently, you can use this link to use QT.

C, C++, Fortran

anoopmj

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
I think I'm going to give eclipse a try. The dedicated photran section is the main reason.

If you think of something else, let me know!

vmagnin

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
new gtk-fortran project (Graphical User Interface)

I was wondering if anyone knew a good and simple (imp!) way to create GUIs for fortran code on a mac, like visual basic on windows?

Hi, it has not yet been tested on Mac, but it should work. Let me know.

The objective of the gtk-fortran project is to offer Fortran programmers a crossplatform library to build Graphical User Interfaces (GUI). Gtk-fortran is a GTK+ / Fortran binding entirely written in Fortran. It is based on the ISO_C_BINDING module for interoperability between C and Fortran, which is a part of the Fortran 2003 standard. GTK+ is a free software crossplatform graphical library available for Linux, Unix, Windows and MacOs X.

The home page of the project is https://github.com/jerryd/gtk-fortran/wiki

In its devel branch, gtk-fortran offers currently an interface to more than 7900 GTK+ functions (GTK, GDK, GdkPixbuf, Cairo, Pango). It is not complete but covers probably more than 85% of GTK, GDK, GdkPixbuf, Cairo and Pango. These interfaces were automatically created by a python script which parses the C header files of the GTK+ libraries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.