PDA

View Full Version : Any 1st Gen or 2nd Gen iPod Users?

CubaTBird
Dec 24, 2004, 08:24 PM
Are their any 1st or 2nd gen ipod users still out there that use their ipods on a daily basis? If so, what kind of battery life are you guys getting now after a few years of having such a product? I only ask to estimate where my 3rd gen will be when it gets around its second or third year of use.

Photorun
Dec 24, 2004, 09:25 PM
Are their any 1st or 2nd gen ipod users still out there that use their ipods on a daily basis? If so, what kind of battery life are you guys getting now after a few years of having such a product? I only ask to estimate where my 3rd gen will be when it gets around its second or third year of use.

I'm a second gen user, got mine sometime in 2002 (it's foggy to me exactly when). I get still about seven plus hours of life out of it but an odd thing DOES happen in that now if I leave it unplugged for, say, a week (which is very rare) it will be completely dead when I go to use it... it never holds a charge anymore. Other than that I'm one of those scratching my head over all the people who whine about how their battery life was so bad, maybe they got bad Apples (har har).

Cheers!

veedubdrew
Dec 24, 2004, 09:48 PM
Gen 2 10 gig iPod here. Still get many, many hours of battery life out of mine, although I don't know exactly how many. I'd say maybe 8 hours?

Other than being scratched to death, it still works great. I have it rigged up in my car and it just hangs out there. My mini is for the gym and work.

-Drew

Duff-Man
Dec 24, 2004, 09:59 PM
Duff-Man says....I got my 1G 5gb one on the day they came out. I still use it for a couple hours a day and get probably h ours on the battery - and that is with lots of long songs, high bitrate rips, and lots of searching and ffwding - all the things Apple says causes bettery wear....oh yeah!

mox358
Dec 24, 2004, 10:21 PM
I have the old school 5gig ipod, and my battery life isn't quite as good as others. I still get about 4-5 hours, but i have put my ipod through alot in its day. I used to listen to it almost all day long, charging it throughout the day when it needed it. I left it out in my car accidentally one night last winter, and the battery life has never been the same. The cold is REALLY bad for them, so always make sure you keep it out of the cold and you should be set! Just another excuse to upgrade to a 4G iPod Photo :D

erickkoch
Dec 24, 2004, 10:22 PM
I have a 1G 5gb iPod. Battery life is much shorter than it used to be but I haven't tested it precisely. When it was new, I would get about 8-10 hours. I use it every day in my truck and at the gym. Can't say exactly how long it lasts now but I used to charge it once every 1-2 weeks, now I can't go more than 3-4 days before it's dead or nearly so. I just leave it plugged into the charger most of the time in my truck. I bought a new battery for it but have been too lazy to install it just yet. I plan to get a new one next year anyway.

bguillermo
Dec 25, 2004, 01:52 AM
I have a 2nd Gen 10GB since 2002 and it still will last for up to 5 days on two hour commuting, which is an hour to and from home to at work. Although to be honest, it's only been for the last nine months since I've had my current job that I've been playing it almost every day for two hours.

Also, it helps that I don't use the backlight, nor do I use the shuffle play. I generally have a play list or just listen to entire albums.

greenleaf
Dec 25, 2004, 03:16 AM
2g for me...still about 4-5 hours :D

RBMaraman
Dec 25, 2004, 06:02 AM
2nd Gen 10Gb iPod - I get around 5 hours. But, if I don't use it for 2 days, the battery is completely drained.

cluthz
Dec 25, 2004, 06:21 AM
1st gen 10GB, still getting 6+ hours batterylife, used 5->20 hours a week

Bear
Dec 25, 2004, 07:38 AM
My 1st Gen 10GB (over 2.5 years old) was to the point where the battery life was lessthan 5 hours. I wound up buying a $40 (=tax) high capacity replacement battery and now have about 20hours of play time.

Don't worry about the battery life. Either the battery lasts or you get a replacement.

5300cs
Dec 25, 2004, 06:03 PM
I have a 1st gen iPod and it gets about 4 hours maybe? It's important to KEEP IT WARM (at least in my case it is.) If I leave it in my cold room or worse in my bag, it can die overnight. I usually have to recharge it every night or every other night. The battery meter never goes under 2 bars before I get the 'please recharge' message.

My 4th gen iPod obviously gets much better battery life. :)