PDA

View Full Version : LCD's to come down in price in the next 2 years?

johnbro23
Dec 24, 2004, 08:59 PM
I'm just planning ahead, and in 2 years I'll be in college probably buying an LCD. I'm definitely getting a PB (probably 15"). I might also get a 23" or 30" LCD to double as an extra screen for my PB and a TV. First of all, is that reasonable? Like I mean is it worth it getting a (probably Apple Cinema) display for those purposes?

So I'm wondering if LCD prices are supposed to come down? Also, have LCD prices been dropping in the past? It'd be nice to get a 30" for 2500 or so in 2 years :rolleyes:

Logik
Dec 24, 2004, 09:02 PM
I'm just planning ahead, and in 2 years I'll be in college probably buying an LCD. I'm definitely getting a PB (probably 15"). I might also get a 23" or 30" LCD to double as an extra screen for my PB and a TV. First of all, is that reasonable? Like I mean is it worth it getting a (probably Apple Cinema) display for those purposes?

So I'm wondering if LCD prices are supposed to come down? Also, have LCD prices been dropping in the past? It'd be nice to get a 30" for 2500 or so in 2 years :rolleyes:

kind of a... odd question to ask.. all computer technology comes down in price as it gets older and they start mass producing it.. in larger quantities... let's put it this way.. LCD's are now outselling CRT's in new computer purchases... you do the guess work...

johnbro23
Dec 25, 2004, 12:45 AM
How about Apple displays in particular? I probably will go with an Apple display, so what do you think the prices will be like in 2 years? Did the displays see any price drop in the past 2 years? If so how much? That number would be a pretty accurate representation of how the prices will change from now until 2 years from now.

Jimong5
Dec 25, 2004, 04:58 AM
How about Apple displays in particular? I probably will go with an Apple display, so what do you think the prices will be like in 2 years? Did the displays see any price drop in the past 2 years? If so how much? That number would be a pretty accurate representation of how the prices will change from now until 2 years from now.

when i bought my powermac 2.5 years ago apples 17 was $999, and their 22 was like $3500(i think). the 17 dropped huge, and the 23 is now there at a lower price. id imagine theyd be more affordable, and apple will make even bigger displays.

Bear
Dec 25, 2004, 07:44 AM
Apple displays will drop in price as the cost to manufacture drops. I remember when the 23" dropped from $3500(US) to $2000(US) on the day the MDD/FW800 models were announced (and the high end model was $500(US) less than the previous high model). The $2000 savings made it affordable ot get the system I got.

But the main point is, if you can afford it and have the money buy what you need. I meand why spend money on something you're going to replace. You also have no idea when the prices will come down. Also remember a screen bought with a system is covered for 3 years if you buy an Applecare agreement. if you buy it later, you have to bu a seperate warranty extension for it (if you want it covered for 3 years).

Sometimes saving money now doesn't save money in the long run.