PDA

View Full Version : iPad ~n~ Screen Protectors

merics
Sep 29, 2010, 12:15 AM
I have the iPad 64G, used it for over a month before buying an installing a screen protector (Powers Support Anti-Glare). The install was easy, glare tremendously reduced, fingerprints are nil and the daily screen cleaning is not required.

The reason I started this thread, is because I've read plenty of user comments regarding protectors. Many of those comments are "takes away from experience" related. I've queried back as to just exactly what experience is loss by using a screen protector. Now if the arguments are that some screen protectors that don't look (bubbles etc) good or don't do as advertised, got it. But the general takes away etc I'm not getting.

This is not a bash thread, just a clarifying request of those that don't like the protectors to expound as to why you don't like them. The world is great that we can all choose as we please, but many new iPad owners log in seeking advice, so let's give a little more so we all can make intelligent decisions. That's the true beauty of MacRumors, that place to go where experienced users are sharing knowledge.

Thanks in advance...

SidBala
Sep 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
I thought I didn't need a screen protector. But within two weeks of buying my iPad, there was a scratch on it. And I never used it roughly. I baby this thing around and yet, there is a scratch on it.

prot0type
Sep 29, 2010, 12:25 AM
I had a screen protector installed as soon as the iPad was delivered so I haven't had too much experience with a non protected screen aside from the ones on display at BestBuy or an apple store. My guess is that finger swipes aren't as smooth or maybe the display seems diluted? Dunno.

Otherwise, I haven't had any trouble with response time or accuracy. The screen looks great and I have that reassurance of screen/bezel remaining as pristine as when I opened the box. And when the next pad is released I'll be sure to do the same.

Wrathwitch
Sep 29, 2010, 03:38 AM
LOL!! This brings me back to my applying a wet application screen protector to Mom's iPad that I helped her buy when she came for a visit.

First time around I managed to get a hair trapped under but fortunately there was a defect in the product and I had to exchange it for a Zaggs.

O..M...G WATCH THE VIDEO ON HOW TO APPLY BEFORE YOU TRY IT AT HOME.

The second time around, I was in a very clean washroom, no air circulation, naked with my hair tied back.

Success ahahah!! But it makes me laugh.

My point being if you are paying over 500.00 for ANYTHING, why not protect it? It didn't detract from the screen and yes, Zagg is a bit tackier on the fingers, but not so much so that it would be unpleasant to use.

I highly recommend SGP for the iPhone though, so clear you cannot tell that there is a protector on!! Also dry application for iPhone haha!

Dust IS your enemy!

WW

Nhwhazup
Sep 29, 2010, 04:23 AM
I loved running my iPad naked for about 3 months but then noticed some very light surface scratches. I tried a few screen protectors before settling on the Power Support Crystal. First, was the invisible shield by Zagg and had it installed at the mail kiosk. It felt sticky and also showed some see through red lines on white screens. I took it off in less than a week. I tried the anti-glare from Power Support and loved less fingerprints but didn't like that the clarity of the screen was reduced just a tad. I know that doesn't bother most people but I didn't want to do anything to take away from the crisp sharp clarity. The Crystal from Power Support was fairly easy to install, feels the same as the naked screen and leaves the screen crystal clear. Same as naked but even better as it's now protected.

melman101
Sep 29, 2010, 05:10 AM
I agree with everything in this thread. I had a light scratch on my screen. The Apple Store Genius bar actually recommended I buy a screen protector but don't sell any in store. I did not worry cause the scratches were invisible with the screen on. Then, the worst thing happened. A visible scratch. That's when I drove into Manhattan and picked up a Crystal Film. A little too late, but luckily the visible scratch is bottom right and almost invisible again due to Crystal Film.

I love the Crystal Film and would recommend it to anyone with an iPad.

abta1
Sep 29, 2010, 06:14 AM
Presumably the people who say that using a screen protector detracts from the experience of using the iPad are talking about cheap poor quality ones that reduce the clarity of the image from the screen.

I bought the SGP Ultra Crystal for mine and it's like there is nothing there in terms of image clarity all the while protecting it from scratches.

NebulaClash
Sep 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
I've had good experiences with Crystal products in the past. With my iPad I've not used any screen protector and six months of use have not resulted in even the slightest scratch. With the oleophobic coating on the newest iPhones and the iPad, that's one reason why you might not want a screen protector. Fingerprints wipe right off, so it's no big deal to get them.

But as the OP says, this is a place to share information, and this is good information for anyone considering a screen protector. I may not use their products, but I have in the past and they are good quality.