PDA

View Full Version : Is YouTube watchable on the Apple tv?

Andy0568
Sep 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
Is it? HD 720p videos are grainy and pretty awful fullscreen on my 15" MBP. I'm interested to see how it'll look on my 46" tv when I get my Apple TV tomorrow...

R94N
Sep 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
HD 720p videos are grainy and pretty awful fullscreen on my 15" MBP.

Really? Some videos in 720p are still grainy, I agree (I think it's got to do with what camera they use) but usually I find them much better quality.

HobeSoundDarryl
Sep 29, 2010, 11:44 AM
watchable? Yes. Pristine? No.

Basically, the quality of the source video directly translates to how good things look on the display screen. SD quality video- especially most cell phone and cheap camcorder interlaced video- is NOT going to look as good as HD quality video (at least the HD that can max out what the :apple:TV can handle: 720p30fps)

If it doesn't look very good on your 15" screen, it's not going to look very good on a 46" digital screen either. If your 46" happens to be an old Tube-type TV, SD and interlaced video will look better on it than a new DLP, LCD or Plasma of the same size & resolution.

But still, quality of the source = quality of the end result. We sometimes watch YouTube videos via :apple:TV on my 65" 1080HDTV. But we are pretty much never impressed at the quality of the video... especially compared to say, DVD conversions or HD Camcorder movies we've shot ourselves.