Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

124148-apple_tv_2010_delivered.jpg
Image via forum member "svega3"
MacRumors readers are beginning to report in our forums that they have received their new Apple TVs today, with a number of others reporting that online tracking is showing their orders out for delivery.

While a few media reviewers have already published their initial impressions of the new device, customers are invited to share their thoughts and questions on the new device in our Apple TV and Home Theater forum.

Those still looking to get their hands on a new Apple TV may have to wait awhile, however, as Apple's online stores are currently quoting shipping estimates of 2-3 weeks. Several forum members have also reported contacting their local Apple retail stores to inquire about availability, only to be told that the stores do not have an estimated date of availability.

Update: Engadget has now posted a thorough review of the new Apple TV, touching on many of its features. The report finds solid video quality and nearly seamless audio integration with other iOS devices, but laments some of the lack of choice in and studio control over available video rental content, as well as awkward text entry using the standard remote.

Also noted is that fact that AirPlay is currently audio-only, even for customers running iOS 4.2 betas on their iPads and hoping to push video to the new device. Full AirPlay implementation won't be available until November, when iOS 4.2 sees its public launch.

Update: We're hearing that some Apple retail stores did receive very limited stocks of the new Apple TV today, but that they sold out very quickly.

Article Link: Orders for New Apple TV Arriving in Customers' Hands [Updated]

ChunkAhoy

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2007
availability

I just called the Laval Apple store in Québec and the lady told me they would be on sale tomorow.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I would like to try one of these but because we don't have Netflix in the UK it makes it even less useful (I know quite a few people are buying this just for the Netflix compatibility).

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I would like to try one of these but because we don't have Netflix in the UK it makes it even less useful (I know quite a few people are buying this just for the Netflix compatibility).

Same!
Slightly annoying how we here in the UK miss out on things like this...

jtaylor8683

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Sreaming ?

I can't seem to answer this question...

"Can I stream any web video from my iMac to my new apple TV?"

If I can, I will buy one today. Someone who knows, please share...thanks!

funlad

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
London. UK
Shipment Delayed....

Has anyone else had this message on Apples' Shipment Status page?

Current Delivery Status: In Transit to Customer - Shipment Delayed.

Delayed!? Why? For how long?! Im in the UK, and delivery is by TNT - their website says it left Hong Kong 33 hours ago - with no update since! Estimated delivery date is still 4th Oct according to Apple. Gutted that other peoples are arriving already. My card hasn't even been charged yet, and I ordered it immediately it was available.

Any other UK residents have the same 'delayed' message?

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Same!
Slightly annoying how we here in the UK miss out on things like this...

yeah, and I would quite like to try Pandora and Hulu as well... *sigh*

We know already...

yes, most of us do, but it's a news article on Macrumors.com, and so a thread is always created on here as a result. It just works like that here ;)

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
i still don't understand what the point of this device is?

I think that the Apple TV is great for some, while others prefer different solutions. Personally, we have been using the old Apple TV and with XBMC installed it works out great. We just moved and I was thinking of adding a few more devices (no cable, sat, or over the air TV - by choice) but the old Apple tv was too expensive, while the new one at $99 for us is a no brainer. Having netflix built in is a huge plus also. I never used my hard drive in our old Apple tv so that will not be missed. I will probably just convert the rest of my video from Xvid so that XBMC will not be needed any longer.

I really wish I would have ordered the new one right away since they appear to be shipping. How long before amazon or the apple store has these in stock and ready to ship? I really hope I don't have to wait another whole month - but that just might be the case....

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
i still don't understand what the point of this device is?

Renting movies and TV shows via your iTunes account, and streaming media already on your computer to your bigscreen. Netflix only accomplishes movies (from their server...not your computer), so it's not the same thing.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I can't seem to answer this question...

"Can I stream any web video from my iMac to my new apple TV?"

If I can, I will buy one today. Someone who knows, please share...thanks!

No, it only streams iTunes content from your computer.

You should be able to stream web video from your iPad/iPod touch/iPhone when iOS4.2 is released.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Renting movies and TV shows via your iTunes account, and streaming media already on your computer to your bigscreen. Netflix only accomplishes movies (from their server...not your computer), so it's not the same thing.

Plus the new apple TV run IOS 4.1 and has a Apple A4 chip, and is so small and tight looking....and does not get hot or needs a fan. And runs much faster than the old apple tv.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Has anyone else had this message on Apples' Shipment Status page?

Current Delivery Status: In Transit to Customer - Shipment Delayed.

Delayed!? Why? For how long?! Im in the UK, and delivery is by TNT - their website says it left Hong Kong 33 hours ago - with no update since! Estimated delivery date is still 4th Oct according to Apple. Gutted that other peoples are arriving already. My card hasn't even been charged yet, and I ordered it immediately it was available.

Any other UK residents have the same 'delayed' message?

I ordered straight away too. Mine does not say delayed anywhere. Still in HK though.
I also got an email from Apple saying that my delivery method had been upgraded ?!?

Gakboi

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010

Could I not just plug my computer into my tv as i always have? The movie renting thing makes sense but I assume that everyone who has an apple tv also has a computer from where they can also use netflix?

Sorry I have never used one so might be missing something obvious but it really seems to me to be an extra box for nothing.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Could someone who actually has one, please test whether it can do any better than 720p30fps listed in the specs. I'd like to know if it can play 1080i/p video without having to down convert it. I'd buy the device if it could handle 1080 Camcorder home video without the downconversion requirement.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Another thing I would like to ask anyone who knows is about converting movies.

I currently use Handbrake, but this has not been updated for ages.

Anyone have any alternative offerings I could look at? I may cover this in a future video.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Could I not just plug my computer into my tv as i always have? The movie renting thing makes sense but I assume that everyone who has an apple tv also has a computer from where they can also use netflix?

Sure you can, but the idea is to not have to keep plugging in and pulling the plug. Do you have an iPod? You could just play your music from that laptop too. Do you have an iPhone? You could just make calls via Voip from that laptop too. Do you have a TV? You could just want television on that laptop too. :apple:TV is just another variant of a specialized bit of hardware that can be dedicated to the task of what it does... just like an iPod, iPad, iPhone, TV, radio, etc.

When you leave your home with your laptop, those who might live with you could still use it to watch iTunes content, Netflix, etc on the TV.

funlad

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
London. UK
I ordered straight away too. Mine does not say delayed anywhere. Still in HK though.
I also got an email from Apple saying that my delivery method had been upgraded ?!?

Yes I got the email about upgraded delivery too. Feels like a downgrade to me if everyone else's is arriving already! :(

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Another thing I would like to ask anyone who knows is about converting movies.

I currently use Handbrake, but this has not been updated for ages.

Anyone have any alternative offerings I could look at? I may cover this in a future video.

Handbrake is regularly updated, there's even a nightly (updated) build available. And it is probably the very best application available for turning your video into something suitable for :apple:TV.

jtaylor8683

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
No, it only streams iTunes content from your computer.

You should be able to stream web video from your iPad/iPod touch/iPhone when iOS4.2 is released.

So, i could use my iPhone to stream web content to the TV but not my iMac??? That doesn't make any sense...?? :mad:

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Could someone who actually has one, please test whether it can do any better than 720p30fps listed in the specs. I'd like to know if it can play 1080i/p video without having to down convert it. I'd buy the device if it could handle 1080 Camcorder home video without the downconversion requirement.

I really want it to do 1440p! It will look great on my 17" Howasocki flat screen TV as I can see the difference from 20 feet! Why be stuck in 2009 when 1440p is the new standard.

1440p is a newer resolution of high-definition television and movies, referring to the resolution of the picture itself. The number 1440 refers to the vertical resolution of the picture, indicating 1440 pixels in the vertical axis. This is understood to be combined with the standard 16:9 aspect ratio of high-definition television, indicating a horizontal resolution of 2560. This yields an overall pixel count of 3,686,400 pixels for a television in 1440p resolution, substantially higher than the 2,073,600 pixels found on a 1080p television.
What a waste ATV!

[/sarcasm off]

I bought two, except for Blu-Ray, 720p looks just as good on my Sony 46" flat screen as 1080p including my camcorder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.