Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2002
How can I get the plug-in to play .avi movies in Quicktime?

I posted this on the help forum, but got no replies.

Thanks...

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Quicktime has issues playing avi's i've been having some problems. Any movie buffs care to shed light?

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
looks like there are some more people having this problem.
somehow i managed it in os 9 to install a plugin, but that's a "long" time ago and even there some of these qt avi's did not work...

since i work in os x with qt6, i have not searched for a plug in. i am kind of sick searching always for this stuff... a link would be helpful :) thx!

oddfuzz

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
missouri
possible solutions

i don't want to sound like i really know what i'm talking about cause i don't really, but i'm sure as we all kown quicktime doesn't like avi's. it's a codec that just doesn't work and for some reason no one can make work perfectly every time on the mac platform (as far as i have seen). But the best thing i've used so far is a program called DivX Doctor II (http://doctor.3ivx.com/). just open the program, drag your file and watch it turn those avis into movs. only problem i have is the absence of a WMA Codec for OSX. This can cause problems with sound whenever it uses WMA.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
.avi is a container

So, there is no one plug in for .avi files... it depends on how it was encoded.

.AVI DIVX files can be played with the proper divx codec (http://www.divx.com)
.AVI non-Divx files depend on if the codec is supported in Quicktime.

many older ones are not, and will likely never be supported in quicktime.

arn

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I just got all the avi playing plugins i could find, and put them all in the quicktime plugins folder, and most avis played. :D

Digitalflick

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
I use a AVI to MOV converter for avi files. I beleive you can download it through download.com in the Mac OSX section. I do not know the name right now but it works great for those avi movies.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've tried all those codecs and converters, and i got sick of messing around with them. i just got Video Lan Confrencing (VLC). you can get it from version tracker & it plays avi and all DivX movies. it's alot better than messing around just to watch something with no sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.