PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Internet Radio menu selection

fandsw
Sep 29, 2010, 02:45 PM
Seen the Radio option on the Internet menu in some of the previews. Can anyone who has received their :apple:TV clarify what it does and what stations or hopefully Pandora is available??

mhdena
Sep 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
My ATV has the same radio stations as itunes radio, there are several I like much better than Pandora btw.

bobr1952
Sep 29, 2010, 04:21 PM
I use Pandora exclusively but I would guess you can send audio from Pandora to ATV via iPhone/iPod when Apple provides the update in November.

Ciclismo
Sep 29, 2010, 07:10 PM
As an extension of this question, can the radio function be controlled using an iPad or iPhone with the remote app without having to turn on the TV? Pandora is nit available in New Zealand and I don't know if it is available in Germany (where I'll be moving to shortly), so for now would be restricted to the iTunes stations I guess.

DJinTX
Sep 29, 2010, 07:14 PM
As an extension of this question, can the radio function be controlled using an iPad or iPhone with the remote app without having to turn on the TV? Pandora is nit available in New Zealand and I don't know if it is available in Germany (where I'll be moving to shortly), so for now would be restricted to the iTunes stations I guess.

If the TV isn't on, then I don't see how you will hear the music. Maybe if you have the optical audio connected to an AV receiver, but of course then you would have to power on the receiver.

Ciclismo
Sep 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
If the TV isn't on, then I don't see how you will hear the music. Maybe if you have the optical audio connected to an AV receiver, but of course then you would have to power on the receiver.

Sorry that I forgot to mention that, but I have all my audio for all my sources (DVD, satellite, terrestrial) via a home theatre system, and I would do the same with an Apple TV via the optical audio connection.

So I guess this means that yes I can indeed stream audio without the need of the television. Which is good, as this means I don't need to get an Airport Express.

Sorry for hijacking the thread:o

Arran
Sep 29, 2010, 09:09 PM

On an iPad running the remote app connected to my iTunes library, "Radio" does not appear in the source list on the left. That said, the old aTV trick of putting favourite stations into a playlist and starting them from there on the remote app does work. Using it now.