Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
I might be missing an obvious answer - thanks in advance.

My iMac and ATV1 are networked over ethernet. everything works great and I love it - speed is very fast and never a hiccup.

in order to get the remote app to work do I have to network them wirelessly or is there another option?

thanks

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Well, you'll need a wireless network for your iphone (running the remote app), to connect to the wired network with the Mac and aTV.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
The computer and ATV can be wired but the remote app needs wifi to talk to either.

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
The computer and ATV can be wired but the remote app needs wifi to talk to either.

thanks for replies - to clarify - are you saying to turn the airport on the computer and turn on the wireless of the ATV?

can ATV be networked via Ethernet and still have wifi on - or does it have to be either wifi or Ethernet but not both?

The goal would be to keep the iMac and ATV networked via Ethernet and to used remote app on iPad to control - can this be done??

thanks again

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Do you have a wireless router on your network that you connect the iPad to? If all you have is wired ethernet and no wireless at all, then it will not work, but as long as there is a wireless router on the same network for the iPad to connect to, you should be fine.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I have a wireless router that also has a wired connection to my mac mini HTPC (as the cable modem sits next to the TV anyway), and I can use the remote app on my iPhone to control the mini, so I expect the same applies to the :apple:TV.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
thanks for replies - to clarify - are you saying to turn the airport on the computer and turn on the wireless of the ATV?

can ATV be networked via Ethernet and still have wifi on - or does it have to be either wifi or Ethernet but not both?

The goal would be to keep the iMac and ATV networked via Ethernet and to used remote app on iPad to control - can this be done??

thanks again

Look, it doesn't matter if you are using wireless or ethernet you are still on the same network. It's possible to setup more than one network but you probably haven't done that. As long as your router has a normal configuration where it is giving an ip address on the same subnet to your iPad, Apple TV, and Mac then they are all on the same network. They can either be all wireless, all ethernet, or a mixture of the two different types of connections.

Your iPad can be wireless with your Mac and Apple TV wired and they will be on the same network. Remote will work regardless which connection type is used on any of the three in any combination.

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
"As long as your router has a normal configuration where it is giving an ip address on the same subnet to your iPad, Apple TV, and Mac then they are all on the same network. They can either be all wireless, all ethernet, or a mixture of the two different types of connections.

Your iPad can be wireless with your Mac and Apple TV wired and they will be on the same network. Remote will work regardless which connection type is used on any of the three in any combination.[/QUOTE]"

I think the problem is my network is not set up properly for this.

Based on what you describe above should my airport extreme (the hub of my network) be set up as a bridge to achieve the ipad, mac and ATV all being on the same network and talking to each other with remote app?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If the Airport Extreme is the hub passing out the ip addresses, it shouldn't be set up as a bridge. You should set up Connection Sharing to "Share a public IP address". If your Mac and ATV are connected via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme and then you connect the iPad to the Airport Extreme wirelessly, then all 3 will be on the same network.

The best way to figure out if you're on the same network is to check your ip address on your devices. It should be something like 192.168.x.y.

The "x" number has to be the same for all 3 devices if they are on the same network. The y number will be different. To check your ip address for the ipad, go to settings, wifi, and touch the little blue and white arrow for the wifi network it's connected to. On the Mac, open Network Preferences.

The only problem I could see is if your ISP gave you a wireless modem/router/gateway and your iPad is connected to that instead of the Extreme. You should turn off the wireless in your ISP provided hardware in that case to make sure you're connecting to the right one.

rsdq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
thanks very much for your detailed help - it is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to set it up exactly as you stated.

Thanks.

ggeoffre

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Hilliard, OH
I too have been having problems getting a wired Mac to connect to an Apple TV over wireless. This included getting my iPhone's Remote App to control my wired Mac. Once I have the wired mac join the Wireless network, all is well and everything works great. If I leave my Mac as only a wired mac (ethernet only), my Apple TV cannot see it and my iPhone cannot see it.

Everything is configured through my Time Capsule (Airport Extreme). I can check my DHCP logs and see that all clients are on the same network.

Wireless Mode: Create a Wireless Network
Connection Sharing: Share a public IP address

aheidemann

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Same issue

I have the same issues:

Scenario 1:
Computer connected to apple TV wired, everything plays fine when i use the physical remote for controlling the music on apple TV.
However no control via iPhone on same network wireless

Scenario 2:
iphone, aTV and computer wireless and i can control computer fine with iphone remote app however it stutters and eventually shuts down connection and stalls when i try to control apple tv, wireless

What i want to do is have my apple tv wired to computer but control wireless with iphone.

What to do?

I have a D-Link 615 router

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.